1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Mandarin...

Discussion in 'LV Strip Hotels' started by thfc14, Oct 15, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thfc14

thfc14 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Stayed at Vdara in sept. Was reasonably happy with hotel. Mandarin in same city centre location.

Are the rooms here really wow factor??? Planning on returning in March. Don't mind paying $300+ a night plus if it worth it.

We like non smoking quieter hotels.

2. nostresshere

nostresshere Mr. Anti Debit Card

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You mention "reasonably happy" with Vdara. What was not so great? (that might help us answer).

Yes, Mandarin is quieter. Personally I find most hotels quiet once I close the door and pass out. As much as I like great rooms, I require the ability to just take the elevator from "sin city" up to room vs having to walk outside to get to my hotel.

3. -(J)-

-(J)- Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I want to stop for a drink at the Mandarin Bar on our next visit.

Looks like a pretty easy walk to/from Aria...?

4. lotso-bear

lotso-bear VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    MOs are more about service. Sure there rooms are pretty good but all 5* hotels are about service and amenities. Personally, I don't think any of the Vegas properties are "true five-star properties" but they're up there.

5. M_ILIS

M_ILIS VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yes, very easy. Just exit from the lobby out to the fountain area and follow the sidewalk headed to the right. Within a few minutes you'll arrive at an elevator that descends down a story or two to the entrance/valet area at Mandarin Oriental.

6. thfc14

thfc14 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    What I liked about Vdara..

Quiet.
    Security checked everyone before going in elevator.
    The lobby bar was nice. staff was friendly.
    2 min walk to Bellagio and Aria.
    No taxi lines.
    No long lines at check in

What was so so.

Service... Had to call for bathrobes 3 times.
    Housekeeping didn't leave more shampoo, soaps etc until I left note with $10 a day instead of the usual $5.
    Rooms nice but not spectacular. Don't know why the shade closing switch isn't next to bed.
    The room service food is ok nothing great.

I admit I am spoiled. I work in a 5 star hotel and have worked in 4/5 star hotels for last 10 years and have traveled extensively.

7. PopMegaphone

PopMegaphone VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I love Vdara and I think it's one of the better upscale hotel values on the strip. That said, I've stayed at both Vdara and MO several times and I can definitively say Vdara is no MO. Like others have said, service and small details is where MO shines. If you're willing pay the extra money you'll be happier with MO. No doubt about it.

8. Malibugolfer

Malibugolfer High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If you are that familiar with upscale lodging then you should know that a converted condominimum building turned into hotel will just not be as functional as a world reknown brand like MO.

9. thfc14

thfc14 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    True. Have stayed in a couple of ritz carltons that were worse than a Hilton, Marriott etc however.

10. Ofthegirl78

Ofthegirl78 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Make sure you hit the spa at Mandarin if that's your thing - it's ahhhhmazing!

11. Busyman

Busyman VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Vdara is not a converted condominium building.

12. Busyman

Busyman VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You can get MO for less than $300 on a standard room.

13. Malibugolfer

Malibugolfer High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    From Wiki:
    The suites at Vdara are sold as private residences and owners have the option to participate in a rental program to lease their condos as hotel rooms when they are not residing there. The unsold pool of condos are structured as permanent hotel rooms managed by MGM Resorts International.[15][16] These condos are leased for short-term and long-term rentals of at least 30 days.

14. Busyman

Busyman VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    That doesn't prove your point.

Vdara was built as is from the ground up. It's only 4 years-old, sir, so it wasn't converted from anything.

And....omg looky here....

From wiki:

Neither are converted condo buildings. They started out as what they are.

15. lotso-bear

lotso-bear VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Not all Ritzs are 5-Diamond properties. Most of them are 4-Diamond properties that carry the brand name. Some of them are just awful too. :eek: Ever since Marriott acquired the brand, I no longer support or stay at Ritz Carltons now.

16. heatherlovesvegas

heatherlovesvegas VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yea nobody ever lived in Vdara first is what they mean... it was always a hotel. It obviously wasn't intended to be one though.

I can't see Mandarin being worth it.. even if the service is a 10, is that worth double or triple the price of say Vdara, Trump, Venetian.. etc? I'll buy my own fancy, unused, bathrobe and get dinner at Gordon Ramsay Steak for the price difference hahaha.

I've been very very happy with Vdara and Trump for the smoke free atmosphere. Trump is my favorite place to stay. It's probably not a "true" 5 star, but it's a beautiful property, had great service, no problems with any of my stays, the rooms are nice, and hell, my trip this month, I paid $67 a night on Priceline. For $300 a night I'd rather get a beautiful penthouse suite somewhere then a deluxe room at Mandarin.

I've stayed in 5 stars in California, I never found any of those any nicer than anything I've had in Vegas. It's just... different?

17. dvandentop

dvandentop VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Is it possible to get compd rooms if staying at vdara but playing at aria resort??

18. lotso-bear

lotso-bear VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Everyone's needs are different, which is why some are willing to pay $500+ a night at a 5* hotel. I only pay for 5* hotels when I'm traveling with my family since my parents and grandparents need extra attention and assistance. It's nice to know that hotel employees are taking care of your family when you're not around.

Which hotels have you stayed in CA? I've stayed at a few hotels in the LA area and found the Peninsula Beverly Hills to be the best hotel in the area. It's hard to find good 5* hotels in the States though, since service levels are tip-based, which is something I get frustrated with since you get genuine service and don't have to tip at int'l properties.

19. lotso-bear

lotso-bear VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I don't believe so. Mixed reviews on whether or not Aria hosts will remove room charges when staying at Vdara but playing at Aria as well.

20. arrgy

arrgy Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Having never stayed at the Trump (and never will) I can not compare the two. However I have been to almost every other property on the strip and nothing compares to the service at all. As I told someone the other day, yes this is Vegas, yes I love to gamble go to shows, etc. However I do not want noise and crowds and waiting forever in long check in and out lines, etc. That is what you really are paying for when you stay at the MO.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.