1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Charge card compromised

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by Joe, Oct 10, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Damn! The day before we leave and somebody racked up over $800 on my primary charge card at Amazon.

Charges disputed at both Amazon and Visa and I'm not worried about paying, but what a hassle. New cards will be mailed out but I still have to change all the auto-pays that are scheduled off that card. I have other cards, so no problems, just hassle.

We both have our cards so not sure how it happened, but I did use it a couple of times to buy beer on Sunday at the Packers game. Lots of volunteers man the concession stands with the profits going for a good cause.

Not making accusations. I'll never know where or how it happened.

2. VegasGroove

VegasGroove VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Sorry this happened, Joe.

You are correct, it's the "clean up" afterwards that is most stressing. It's just the inconvenience of it all.

I hope you still have a grand time in Viva!

3. smartone

smartone VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Ughhhhhhh.... same thing happened to me with my company-issued card and it was a month ago right before I was to leave. Someone had used the number the night before in Canada at a drug store for a small amount and then went to an electronics store for a BIG amount. The bank (US Bank) caught it, contacted me, cancelled my card and had another to me in like 6 days, but I'd already left. I used my personal card and got the points for the trip, so wasn't really inconvenienced, but sure wouldda been otherwise.

4. AlwaysVegas

AlwaysVegas Now it's mostly Reno.

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My card was compromised just after my last Vegas trip, so I assumed it happened there. They did a small charge in Mexico and then tried to buy a motorcycle. But the credit card company blocked the big transaction. It wasn't too much of a hassle, except I had to go online to update all my auto-payments with the new card. First time it's every happened, but I suspect it won't be the last.

I always have a couple backup cards just in case.

5. robert m.

robert m. High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I feel for you, Joe.

Why do "darn it" situations always seem to occur prior to trips?

Have one credit card with a $300 limit on it. Whenever I get into a situation where I have to hand it to somebody, that's the one I use.

The high-limit cards seldom leave my wallet. Those are the ones where my toll road fees, health insurance premiums & Verizon fee for iPad are automatically debited.

So far, this seems to be working well.....knock on wood!

Good luck at MSS! Wish I could be there!

6. shifter

shifter Degenerate Gambler

Trips to Las Vegas:
    well that sucks. usually when this happens it's because some website that you ordered from had their database hacked and all the card numbers stolen. so many websites that store CC info have poor security and this kind of thing is common.

7. HAWJOHN

HAWJOHN Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have a credit card from a local credit union used primarily for online puchases. That card was used a couple of weeks ago. The security folks at Visa called me on half a dozen on line purchases totalling over 600 dollars. One was an international purchase.

8. Sonya

Sonya Queen of VMB

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We had this happen to us a few times on several different cards in a row. So frustrating!

9. sybgal

sybgal VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We've been lucky and never happened before a trip but once....after we had returned home. We use credit cards for everything for comps & air miles. The issuing banks are used to seeing our cards used in LV. About a month after returning home from our trip, my husband made a very small purchase using his main cc. We got back to the house and had a message from the cc security department. His card number had been used at several Walmarts in LV the same day that he used it locally - which tipped them off......we couldn't be in Indiana & LV at the same exact time. They promptly sent us the dispute paperwork and closed his card. Just after the card was closed the crooks attempted very large purchases....one over $5000.
    We've always wondered which LV merchant had the dishonest employee who either used his card number or sold it to a friend....

Enjoy your trip....all that mess can be resolved after your winning trip!!

10. sweetcanadian

sweetcanadian High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    that is a smart idea. i use cash mostly when i travel to the US and let my cc company know where i am whenever i am out of town but i never thought of doing it that way. My lowest limit is 3500 but still better than the other one. My step dads is over 70k so he refuses to do online purchases but i find it is in the store you have to worry about it most.

Always sucks when you have to wait for a new one, especially before a trip. My husband cut his up so he only has access to our joint one and it would sure suck for him if we ever had a problem

11. xizor

xizor Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The problem I had with the limit is that it is totally useless as a limit on a credit card. My ex had a shopping problem so we had her card limit lowered. But it was never rejected for use, just had an over limit fee added onto the bill. :grrr:

12. Julie888

Julie888 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    When the thief goes to make the big purchase that is rejected, do the police follow up at the store for surveillance tapes, info, etc?

Anyone that I have known with a compromised card say that the CC folks aren't interested in trying to figure out where the problem started. They just seem to have built the losses into their bottom line.

13. sweetcanadian

sweetcanadian High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    really??? what is the point of a limit then.........i guess they want the xtra money from the fees.

14. Nittany1

Nittany1 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It has happened to me several times on multiple cards.
    Usually they make online purchases.

The most ballsy and maybe stupid was someone purchased two airline tickets on British Air with one of my cards that was still in my possession.
    I still can't figure that one out!

The last two times I was in Europe I came back to unauthorized charges on cards.
    Pain in the butt.

15. Keyser Soze

Keyser Soze Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Likely due to a skimmer- happens all the time. Recently went thru this with one of my wife's credit cards.

Yeah, it sucks, but just be glad it was a credit card and not a debit card.

16. Kickin

Kickin Flea

Holy crap! Several times on multiple cards? I use my cards for just about every purchase including things like cabs, online, almost all in urban areas and only had something happen once. But AMEX recognized it as it was happening and contacted me, and that was just some small unauthorized purchase at a 7-11 in California.

That seems crazy it happens to you so often or maybe I've just been lucky. :confused2:

17. FXT

FXT VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    After reading this thread, I decided to order a new debit card. Lets just say I've been pretty dumb in the past and used it to make several online transactions from different countries.

18. gambler

gambler VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Same thing happened to us. Someone purchased a trip from Spain to Scotland (or something similar) yet we still had the card. We had never used our cards online so it was weird!

It's great that the credit card companies are on top of it though. About 10 years ago, back when Canadians first had to get passports to travel to the U.S., I went to the post office to get ours for the family. We didn't have passport offices very close back then so the government had some agreement with the post office to collect fees. I was only home about 15 minutes when I got a call from the credit card company questioning the charge to the post office as they thought it was suspicious that someone would buy $500 worth of stamps in one outing. I was impressed that it even drew their attention.

19. Nittany1

Nittany1 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I think you have been lucky or me unlucky.
    All the charges ended up covered by the credit card companies but still a major pain in the ass.
    As bad as these deals were, the worst was late last year when somebody electronically transferred $5K out of my checking account to a bank in California.
    Bank covered me but what a bunch shit that caused.

20. Terry Benedict

Terry Benedict VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've had two or three issues with a compromised cards.

One was charges when we were on our way back from California. I disputed them and Bank of America cleaned them right up and sent me a new card.

One was an issue with an ATM in St Mark's Square in Venice. I couldn't reconcile the charge with all the pile of receipts I had brought back, including some from that ATM. BofA said they really couldn't do anything about transactions with Banco di Roma, but six months later they put $325 back in my account. Sweet.

The latest was last month when I got a call asking about several charges made in Minnesota. I have never been to Minnesota, especially that last week. They credit union replaced the money and issued a new card.

Even though today's electronic financing makes fraud easier, it also makes protection/return easier. I just wish they would go after the crooks who are stealing from businesses. I understand it costs more to prosecute than ignore, but currently there is no deterrent to make these snakes fear the law.

Bank of America also has a feature/service which provides a new number for a limited time with a credit limit which you set. It is basically a temporary number that expires. It's great for online purchases.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2013
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.