1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Cant wait NFL 2013

Discussion in 'The Sports Book' started by mike mc, Sep 5, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mike mc

mike mc High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    New season starts tonight, another year of back yard tailgate, great food, games,and wagers, Ending with Super bowl in New Jersey

2. smartone

smartone VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm with you... baseball bores me to tears most games and college football startin' last week was a nice teaser for me, BUT NFL is where it's at!!!!

I like the Ravens to win straight up tonight and took it at +400, but then I'm also a Bronco/Peyton hater (all things Denver for that matter), so that tremendously clouds my judgement. My hatred of Denver stems from my love of the Raiders, which will once again lead me to another sucky year of enjoyin' other peoples teams, cause mine's AWFUL!

I set my DVR to record the Biggest Loser and when I went to watch, it had recorded a Raider game!!!! LOL

Last edited: Sep 5, 2013
  3. Crambone

Crambone Gnaeus Pompey Magnus

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I like the Ravens plus the points.

Try being a Cardinal fan. The Elder Bidwill would have some success then gut the team the next year. His son has taken over and replaced the GM and Coaching staff so here's hoping that works out.

4. bardolator

bardolator Lifelong Low Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It's not that exciting when you root for a team that last won the title before the Super Bowl existed. "Inside the NFL" used to go a month or longer without mentioning the Browns. Collinsworth even apologized on the air for ignoring them. Now I think they have a guy who makes sure every team gets a few seconds of film each week, but you have to look fast.

5. USCHawks

USCHawks High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This is the best time of year, college on Saturdays and NFL on Sundays. Go Seahawks!

6. thecarve

thecarve Misanthrope

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Hell yeah it is!

Football baby. :beer:

7. archie1959

archie1959 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Quite true.
    However Baltimore should not be opening on the road!
    If you are the Super Bowl champs you deserve to be opening at home!
    Orioles said no to moving a date on a home game!
    WTF?
    And this is coming from a NE fan.
    Other problem I have is that Thursday night and Monday night schedule.
    Why should fans have to suffer and watch every single yeam be shown once on those evenings?
    Sunday night they got right by flexing the games later in the season.
    And thank you NFL Red Zone!

8. RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa Front Line Winner

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I feel your pain...I am an Eagle fan. 1960 was a long damn time ago.

BTW - have fun with Joe Banner. That guy...damn I am glad he's not running my team any more.

9. bardolator

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Well, 1960 tops 1964. I like the other guys they hired but have no opinion of Joe Banner. I have the impression that he's less influential in the football side of the operation than some other CEO's. You gotta remember, the Browns have been run by the Peter Principle ever since they came back, so mediocre looks good to us. What in particular did you dislike about Joe?

It's been a relief this preseason to see an entire game without any delay of game penalties while the idiots with the headphones agonize over which of the team's six plays might actually work. It's not as if third and eight is new to them- it used to happen on every possession, and all they could find in the playbook was a six-yard pattern.

10. jackincols

jackincols Guest

I guess I yearn (and spew sour grapes) for the good old days when the Browns were a team to be recon'd with. Since they moved to Baltimore the "new" Browns haven't done squat. Piss poor draft choices have had a lot to do with it.

As a result, I've pretty much lost interest in the NFL, except for betting purposes. Give me a good old college game any day of the week.

11. RockyBalboa

Trips to Las Vegas:
    They may finally have a HC/OC combo that clicks. Norv Turner is one of those guys who sucks as a head coach but is a really good offensive coordinator.

I think Brandon Weeden can be a good QB - he won't be great but if he can be a reliable game manager with enough hot sauce sprinkled in that would be just fine. Especially after the dreck that has lined up under center for the last 12yrs there. He needs receivers though...at least one game changer. Is Gordon that guy? He better smarten up first because he has loads of talent.

Banner is a meddler. And very vindictive. He's a bright business mind and could work the salary cap like no other. He's responsible for several creative accounting maneuvers to help add cap space. I really like that part of him. if he finally learned to keep his nose out of the football ops and let the football people run the show - he's a good hire.

12. Huddler

Huddler VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Huge NFL fan here! Yeah! And Titan fan! Uh oh! Tennessee has another 6-10 type season staring us in the face. Most NFL games are decided by less than a touchdown. The Titans last year were blown off the field and simply were not even competitive in 6 or 7 of our losses. The defense last year was horrible and were like a sieve, but they were not aided at all by an inept offense that could not stay on the field. It was brutal!

For the Titans to get to 8-8, which is the best they could hope for, Jake Locker has to show vast improvement. He simply has been inconsistent, inaccurate, and injured so far in his career. This is the year he makes tremendous strides or he will be a backup QB in a different market next year. The bright side here is that the Titans offensive line should be one of the best in the league. Of course with Hall of Famers Mike Munchak and Bruce Mathews on the coaching staff would you expect anything else? With Chris Johnson and Shon Green on the team, I am hopeful that they can control the ball with this upgraded O-line in place. But as goes Jake Locker, so goes the Titans.

That said, I like the Titans +7 at Pittsburg on Sunday. And for you long suffering Browns fans, The Haslams have a ton of money and are not afraid to spend it. Jim Haslam is no Art Modell thats for sure!

13. KnowItAll

KnowItAll VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Go Falcons!!!! I figure 10-6 or 11-5 with a division title in hand.

14. jackincols

jackincols Guest

Huddler, sounds like great news about Haslams and the Browns. Don't know much about that family.

If they're rolling in dough, one of their first acquisitions should be to lure Ozzie Newsome from the Ravens. He's been nothing short of stupendous in their front office as GM. He's got a helluva eye for talent as well.

15. bardolator

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks for the word on Banner, Rocky. I'll look for that. He already popped off about Bernie Kosar's abrasive broadcasting style, but that's not football. In early interviews he has deferred to the coaches when asked specific football questions. Our new owner is no shrinking violet and may have Joe on a leash.

That's what I hoped about Norv also- he Peter Principled out and now he's back at what he's good at.

I was especially encouraged about the quality of the coaching in the final preseason game. The third string QB had to play the whole game with marginal guys, yet the offense ran efficiently. These guys may not be the greatest talents but they are prepared. Defense? Kicking game? Well, one step at a time.

16. Huddler

Huddler VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The Haslams own Pilot Oil out of Knoxville, which was started by Jim Haslam II back in the 1950's. I think they are called Pilot Flying J now. Jim Haslam III is the CEO and new owner of the Browns. His brother Bill Haslam is the governor of the state of Tennessee. Like many SEC schools, the University of Tennessee's athletic program is dominated by one HUGE donor who definitely has say in the hiring and firing of the football coach. That donor for the Vols is Jimmy Haslam. I cannot stress enough how influential the Haslams are in UT athletics. They are big sports fans and big UT fans. I dont know what sort of owner he will ultimately turn out to be, but he will want a winning team and not just a profitable company. He will spend money to get the best coaches and players. Money is not an object and he is a rabid football fan, should bode well for the Browns franchise going forward.

17. smartone

smartone VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My sports-bet friend in Vegas likes that Titan's bet too... he also likes Carolina, Jax, NO and TB. I'd take none of those, but he usually wins and my cards's gone after the first game!

18. jackincols

jackincols Guest

Thanks for the bio, Huddler. Sounds like a football/sports family for sure and might be just what the Browns have long needed.

19. RockyBalboa

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Banner was boyhood friends with Eagles owner Jeff Lurie so perhaps that comfort level allowed his smugness to show more as he was given much more freedom to run things. Lurie is the ideal owner - he's all business and stays way out of the football ops. Although I wish he would have vetoed Banner's decision to let Philadelphia icon Brian Dawkins walk over a couple million. He deserved to finish his career in Philly. But Banner let him walk. Makes my blood boil to this day!

I would like to see CLE succeed because they have tortured their fans for years and losing the team back in the 90s was terrible. So I'd like to see them get good again!

20. RockyBalboa

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I like the Titans reorganization along the OL. I also like what they have on defense - that crazy SOB Gregg Williams could help direct the D back to dominant levels.

Jake Locker is the problem I have with the Titans. I didn't like him in college and was shocked that he was picked so high. If he can be half decent and if they lean on CJ and Green to control the clock I think they can do ok this year. Oh, and Kenny Britt needs to stay out of the back of police cars.

And I agree - I love the spread against the Steelers. Pittsburgh is a team that has so many fans and they are casual bettors who always put money on them...that helps if you want to bet the other side. I am taking TEN +7 for sure!

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.