1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Cab tips

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by Leahchatter, Aug 19, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Leahchatter

Leahchatter Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Hey all,

I was just wondering if you fine folks had any tips on how to not get taken for a ride by a cab while staying on the strip? To and from the airport is pretty straightforward, it's just when I'm going from one end of the strip to the other. One time it cost me $25 to get from the luxor to PH! Any tips would be much appreciated :)

cheers

2. wigwam_salesman

wigwam_salesman VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My tip is just to go with it, unless money is very tight. I've been long-hauled on a few journeys to different places while there and I have better things to do than get worked up over a few dollars in Vegas :)

3. nostresshere

nostresshere Mr. Anti Debit Card

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Some of the best damn advice I have seen here about cabs.

4. dmr

dmr Registered Abuser

Trips to Las Vegas:
    From the airport: Confidently and assertively say something like "Flamingo, take Paradise", as this lets them know that you are in charge and calling the shots and that you know the proper route.

In countless years, countless taxi rides, I've never been long-hauled in Las Vegas. Most taxi drivers have been friendly and competent. Worst I ever remember is a driver yapping on his cell phone in Russian or something like that the whole trip.

5. wigwam_salesman

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I do this and have never had problems from the airport

I'm sure you have, you just don't know it. The only way to tell would be to look up the miles each journey should be on Google maps.

6. dmr

dmr Registered Abuser

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Actually, I would say the reverse is true. Taxi drivers have shown me the "sneak routes" and back ways into various properties, and most importantly the ways to work around the Strip traffic nightmare.

7. wigwam_salesman

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Most are good I think, but there are a few occasions that I have taken a few turn off's when I should have gone straight on so they have obviously taken me around the block on the way.

8. merlin

merlin MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Or you could simply stand up for yourself and refuse to be cheated, that's not getting worked up, it's expecting appropriate service. If you order a meal and the wrong thing comes, are you getting "worked up" if you send it back?

9. wigwam_salesman

Trips to Las Vegas:
    How do you actually know you have been cheated? Maybe a road was busy, blocked off etc. My opinion, and it is only mine, is that anyone who wastes more than 15 seconds on this is probably a naturally aggressive person who likes to argue.

It's not as black and white as a wrong meal, there are loads of factors involved and some battles just aren't worth the hassle.

Think of a time when you have been charged less than you should have for something and knock it off that and get on with your life.

10. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Wigwam, I enjoy your posts, but IMO you are just flat out wrong on this one. Many of us are very familiar with Vegas roadways and don't like being cheated by being long hauled.

We will stand up for our rights and I will complain. I do have the taxi authority number in my cell phone.

My ride to & from the airport is a comped limo, but we do have occasion to catch a cab in the middle of a trip and if the cabbie trys to long haul me, I will let him know about it.

11. wigwam_salesman

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm not wrong because as I stated it's just my opinion and how I react to this. If other people want to let it bother them then go ahead, I'm not going to judge anyone for having a different reaction to me.

I just don't see the point in letting the little things annoy me on vacation. I suppose it is probably different for you guys from the US as you are still technically at home though.

12. klawrey

klawrey High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I would have to agree with Wigwam here. I know the Vegas streets and routes but I don't know the traffic patterns and shortcuts so I don't really care which we they take me as long as it's reasonable. It's just a few bucks so I'm not gonna sweat it on a vacation however if a cabbie drives me over by the Rio to get from Luxor to the Mirage or something you better bet you sweet behind I'll say something but for taking me down Koval from PH to MGM which is 2.3 miles to avoid traffic on LV Blvd which the route is only 1.8 miles I'm not gonna say a word.

But again that's just my opinion. If an extra 3-4 dollars is that important to you then handle it how you must to me I have better things to do on my trips than deal with the Taxi Authority and cabbies over a few bucks.

13. merlin

merlin MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You certainly have the right to feel that way, what I dont understand is how people can visit threads like this, comment and ask questions about vegas taxis, and then come back from vegas with stories like " I took a cab from the airport to the MGM and the cabbie took the freeway and the bill was $30, I know I was longhauled but didn't want to say anything"

You see stuff like that all the time, cmon people(and I dont mean you Wigwam), you visit and read this forum to learn and share stuff about vegas, but to visit(learn) in a thread like this and then go there and be cheated is pointless.

I understand completely that some people have alot of money and have no interest in saving a few bucks here or there, but what I referenced just baffles me.

14. klawrey

klawrey High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Absolutely! There's a difference between knowing you're taking a longer route and not caring about the extra few buck and know you got long hauled and being bothered by it but being afraid to speak up. If it doesn't bother you it's one thing, if it does you have a voice, speak up!

15. wigwam_salesman

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'd be annoyed if I was airport long hauled and argue about that, but going from place to place there are so many different possible problems or possible deviations that I don't see it being worth it.

16. merlin

merlin MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Well said.

17. Keyser Soze

Keyser Soze Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Just lay back and let some dude screw me??? Not a chance!

As Walter White says "I'm the one who knocks."

18. wigwam_salesman

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It's usually less than 5 dollars? Do you really consider 5 dollars "being screwed"? What are you doing in Vegas if losing 5 dollars makes you so angry??

19. merlin

merlin MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Some may say it's the principle of the thing. Longhauling is stealing, just as surely as shoplifting, it really is. They are required by law to take the shortest route unless the customer requests otherwise. I agree it's not worth arguing about, but it is worth mentioning, as in " sir, I believe you took the long way here, which I did not request", that's really all you need to say most times.

20. numeno

numeno VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    For all of you that are very very passionate about not getting ripped off on a cab, could you enlighten the OP as to how to do this?

Simply put, how do you not get longhauled on routes that don't start/goto the airport?

I am very curious to the answer in this as well. Do you have to know your route each time you get into a cab to tell the driver?

Telling someone to say "don't take the tunnel" from the airport is very easy for anyone to remember. Telling someone that they will need different directions for each hotel to each hotel is not easy to remember. Is there another solution?

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.