1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Just applied for graduation

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by sporty8705, Aug 18, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sporty8705

sporty8705 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I am finally going to graduate in March!
    I will have my BS in Human Development and Family Sciences, only 8 years after I graduated high school.
    I had literally signed my letter of intent with the UC here and put down a deposit, went home, had a lil fun :evillaugh and two weeks later I was like oh shit Im pregnant.. had tried for YEARS and it never happened.. and so then I had to take a year off, etc. I went to school when my son was 10 weeks old and went to the Cal State here and almost never went to class, because I missed him too much.. so I had to go the online route and haven't missed anything or gotten lower than a B really.. It takes dedication and effort..

about time, not easy to do as a single mom and working too!

Last edited: Aug 18, 2013
  2. grosx2

grosx2 Have fun storming the castle!

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Good for you, I've heard numerous single mothers trot out excuse after excuse on why they can't pursue and complete a degree. Well done.

3. sporty8705

sporty8705 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks, I see friends out there who are married with a child and stay home and can't get it done even with support.. I had a bit of support from my family and it made all the difference.

4. smartone

smartone VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    WOW!!! Congratulations!!!! The degree will serve you well, but IMHO what will serve you equally as well, if not more so, is the kind of determination and perseverance you've undoubtably displayed the past several years in maintaining focus!!! Not all can do that... GOOD FOR YOU!!!!

5. mikenhe

mikenhe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Congrats - you've worked for that!!!

6. KellyLovesVegas

KellyLovesVegas Earthling/retired space nerd

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Congratulations! Isn't it great to see the light at the end of the tunnel?

7. sporty8705

sporty8705 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    yes, but now I have to find a grad school ugh lol

8. KellyLovesVegas

KellyLovesVegas Earthling/retired space nerd

Trips to Las Vegas:
    But somehow it's just easier once you have that first degree under your belt - at least it was for me.

9. grosx2

grosx2 Have fun storming the castle!

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Very true. Graduate programs are so flexible these days with classes in the evenings, on Saturdays, online....getting your undergrad is much tougher than getting a graduate degree (I'm talking master's, not JD or MD).

10. thecarve

thecarve Misanthrope

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Congrats! As smartone said, the degree will open doors. But the work ethic and perseverance you've shown is what's going to bring you success. Well done. :thumbsup:

11. sporty8705

sporty8705 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks guys,. and not to toot my own horn, but my term GPA was 3.65.. holy crap!!!!!!!

12. DeMoN2318

DeMoN2318 The DERS

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If you are going to go for a graduate degree I HIGHLY suggest you go full time and get it done ASAP.

I finished half of a masters degree while getting my undergrad...graduated with my BS and then I made the mistake of taking a full time job, planning on taking one class a semester until I completed the requirements for the masters...

It is extremely difficult to work 50+ hours a week, go to class, then get home and have to do homework..and I dont even have a kid. Not to mention some of the classes you want/have to take are not in the evening. I had a class once right in the middle of the work day...really made it a hassle.

I should have just finished the masters in one semester then took a full time job...

Learn from my mistakes...

13. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Terri earned her MBA while working full time. Obviously helps that we have no kids. Now for me, I was in a mainstream program -- actually, it was a streamlined PhD that offered no terminal MA but the cycle was nicely compressed -- attending full time. I quit after four terms. My "problem" was effing around in my 20s then ramrodding my BA when I finally got serious at it all, then jumping right into grad school mid-year. Being off cycle with my cohorts was problematic, and at my advancing age being in the academy for x additional years just didn't sit well.

Congrats, sporty, go UCR Highlanders!!

14. sporty8705

sporty8705 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I was looking into that, and may have to do that because the Masters program I am looking into is at USC and it is in Social Work, and that involves doing 20 hours a week and then 40 a week for internship. The job guarentee is pretty high but damn that on top of working would kill me. I would need to figure out finances for that lol

15. sporty8705

sporty8705 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I couldn't go there, being pregnant and then having a baby. So I commuted to CSUSB for a quarter, said fuck this, i can't be gone from my baby this long. Applied to Oregon state and now I go online which is better for me since I don't see myself sitting in a classroom for hours a day..

16. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Cowvallis State??? The horror.

Go Ducks!!

17. sporty8705

sporty8705 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yep, and that was a class I took in Spring, was the Animal class, focused on the cows and dairies there.. ugh I am glad I do not attend there physically..

Go Beavers haha

18. lotso-bear

lotso-bear VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Congrats! As a recent grad, I remember how it felt after submitting my graduation application.

19. aashleyjc

aashleyjc Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Congratulations! I finish my last class next Friday and I will have a Bachelors of Business Administration, Accounting. It only took me 16 years. Lol. Eight is fantastic. I know how hard it is to go to school with kids. I worked full time and raised kids, so it took me a lot longer than it should have.

20. sporty8705

sporty8705 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I should have gone to a 4 year but I didn't. I went to the local CC, MSJC, and didnt take it seriously, so I had to repeat a lot of classes. then like i said about the time i transferred, i got pregnant, so my son will be 3 in January and I finish in March.. I didnt start going really until he was 1..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.