1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Downtown dive bars

Discussion in 'Vegas Nightlife' started by prodaddy, Jul 31, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. prodaddy

prodaddy Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Going in a couple weeks and staying at the GN. Looking for dive bars in the area to get my drink on...happy hours etc. Not scared of neighbourhoods etc as kinda crazy myself....:drunk:

2. xmarksx

xmarksx VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Not really a dive bar survey but Atom and I have posted extensively on Fremont Street East (IE the Griffen, Beauty Bar, Don't Tell Momma, Insert Coins, Commonwealth) For a true (safe) dive-bar you are going to need to travel a bit farther than downtown. Atomic is now open and I will report on it next week but it seems to have erased it's dive-bar status.

3. jimboguy

jimboguy MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I suppose some might consider Hogs & Heifers at Downtown Third to be a dive bar.

4. atom

atom High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yeah, Atomic was cool to visit, and you do need to walk past the boarded up old Western to get to it, but it's not really a dive bar. Are you looking for dive bar atmosphere or prices? Both? What do you like to drink?

5. dmr

dmr Registered Abuser

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The only one I can really speak for is Beauty Bar. It's very dive-y, but in a good kind of way. There's a band there many evenings.

6. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Doesn't qualify as a dive bar, it's a nice place, but the 777 Brew Pub has $2.50 happy hour drinks. House wine, well drinks and their very good brews. If price is what you are searching for.

The main bar also has tap beer for $1.75 and $1 margaritas all the time.:beer:

7. jrinct1

jrinct1 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Maybe a definition of a dive bar is in order.
    Dino's right near Og's might qualify ( if ya want to consider that downtown).

8. sjritt00

sjritt00 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Not sure if it quite qualifies as a dive, but for our trip in late September we've got Frankie's Tiki Room on our to-do list. It looks to be a short taxi ride from FSE, but probably not walking distance.

9. tatterdema

tatterdema VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I would not consider any of the new Fremont East bars as "dive bars". Snicks Place between The STRAT and downtown is a fun little gay dive bar.... To me, it is the epitome of a "dive bar". Drinks are a strong pour, and about $2.50. Shuffleboard and good tunes, and it has cleaned up a bit, no nudity or hanky panky after hours like they used to have. Just nice working class people, with a few odd balls thrown in.

10. wndrwmn71

wndrwmn71 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I can't let this go by without [STRIKE]recommending[/STRIKE] hawking the Double Down Saloon. Its the dive-y-est bar Ive ever set foot in. It's a long cab ride from DT, but I'd say well worth spending a couple hours there. Try the Bacon Martini, Ass Juice, or the Graveyard Special- Schlitz malt liquor and a Slim Jim.

11. jrinct1

jrinct1 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    DD is nowhere NEAR downtown. There are MANY good dive bars in the valley that ARENT d/t but the thread purpose is for the d/t area:evillaugh

12. Sonya

Sonya Queen of VMB

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Not only is DD not downtown, but also that bacon martini is made with 3 parts evil and one part ipecac.

13. Gino

Gino "The King of Inappropriate."

Trips to Las Vegas:
    O.k, I am an accomplished drunkard/drug abuser and have been at it for 20 plus years easy...Will someone please, please, please tell me what the fuck are the ingredients in an "Ass Juice." :evillaugh:evillaugh That has to be the funniest name for a drink ever..

14. wndrwmn71

wndrwmn71 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Jrinct- I fully and clearly acknowledged that the DD wasn't downtown. It was a mere suggestion along the broader topic of "Dive Bars". If the OP wishes to visit, fine.

Sonya- the Bacon Martini definitely DOESN'T get better with time.

Dino- I asked the bartender on duty and he said this: "you know all the leftover bits of alcohol left in the bottom of every bottle thats left over. That and a mixer. All kinds of alcohol & the recipe chages depending upon who is working that night".

I've had reddish & purplish ass juice. It's more like jungle juice, but accompanied with an open-handed slap to the face after you drink it.

15. wndrwmn71

wndrwmn71 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You can even get Ass Juice served to you in a souvenir toilet mug.

16. prodaddy

prodaddy Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    defining the dive bar

I define a dive bar as one that has few to no food offerings....limited capacity - and cheap drinks. of course the decor must be...well lets say- not modern. lol. I will make it my misson to visit all those mentioned so far and perhaps ask a few cabbies etc. When I return...I will post my bar crawl and hopefully it will be entertaining and informative. :beer:

17. FXT

FXT VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:

That sounds like the same ingredients in a Kings cup :evillaugh

18. Paulie_D

Paulie_D Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:

Hasn't the DDS closed down now...I thought I heard a rumour?

19. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Still open!

20. smartone

smartone VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I was there on Wednesday of last week

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.