1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

no UFC card in Vegas for Superbowl weekend

Discussion in 'The Sports Book' started by danielao, Jul 8, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. danielao

danielao Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    For those who like to plan the Superbowl/UFC double for Las Vegas, the UFC is bringing their event to New Jersey in 2014 instead of Vegas.

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2013/07/bye-bye_vegas_ufcs_super_bowl_weekend_event_moves_to_new_jersey_in_2014.html

2. shifter

shifter Degenerate Gambler

Trips to Las Vegas:
    wow, that sucks. I skipped Vegas this year to attend the SB in NO, but was looking forward to heading back to Vegas next year for a big SB party and the fights. I guess with this move they're trying to get people who are attending the SB to hit the fights the night before.

I also heard that no Halloween weekend card this year either. they're doing a card in Vegas Nov 16 instead. so they're really changing things up.

3. TommyToledo

TommyToledo Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Look for that UFC card December 28 in Vegas. Right now it's supposed to invite Rousey but they may put Silva/Weidman II in there instead or in addition.

4. DeMoN2318

DeMoN2318 The DERS

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Silva/Weidman II?? seriously?? awesome...:snore:

Wont even be a fight if Silva actually shows up

Last edited: Jul 10, 2013
  5. shifter

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Silva says he doesn't want to fight for the belt anymore, so expect more of the same if Dana really forces him into it. he should have just retired with the belt and gone out on top instead of the shit he pulled last fight.

6. FXT

FXT VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Agreed. Would've been better on my bankroll too.

7. DeMoN2318

DeMoN2318 The DERS

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I totally agree. But apparently Silva has "changed his tune" and there will be a rematch either in December or February...

Not sure if Dana forced it or if Silva watched the fight and saw how stupid he looked and wanted to set the record straight...

According to Silva's training crew he has never been more focused for a fight...and Silva wanted the rematch the same week but Dana wants to milk it

8. captainron62

captainron62 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Silva has a huge ego, he will come out and fight like he should have the first time during the next fight. This will be a huge fight for the UFC.

9. shifter

Trips to Las Vegas:
    it's all marketing. by his camp coming out and saying how focused he is, it just gets everybody wondering. and when they wonder, they buy the fight to find out. big payday for Silva whether he actually shows up or not. genius really.

10. TommyToledo

TommyToledo Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Silva's post-match interview was odd to say the least. Dana said he expected him to change his mind and Silva did. Those dollar signs can speak loud.

11. captainron62

captainron62 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I think its the perfect scenario for Silva. He lost, but not in a traditional fashion, so it didnt really hurt his legacy or his marketing ability. He also got out of a super fight with Jon Jones that he would likely have truly lost. He now gets to recoup the lost earnings from the superfight with this rematch. If he wins the rematch, then everyone will discount the title loss as a fluke. If he loses the rematch he will still score his largest payday ever and everyone will just chalk it up as he finally has aged.

Silva is the winner in every scenario. Truly genius, a better script could not be written.

12. shifter

Trips to Las Vegas:
    could have been his plan coming in. mess around and taunt him and try to catch him with a lucky front kick or knee or something and knock him out. if he wins, he's the man. if he loses, like he did, it looks like he didn't try and he gets the huge rematch payday. wouldn't put it past him.

13. captainron62

captainron62 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This is my final analysis:

I believe Silva entered the fight a bit annoyed that so many, including fellow fighters were picking Wideman. I think at the beginning of the fight when Wideman took Silva down so easily and caught him with some solid shots that Silva realized he was in a bit of trouble. We all saw Sonnen expose Silva in this manner, but Sonnen was mentally weak and Silva beat him by exploiting that. I dont think Sonnen is near the fighter Wideman is either.

I heard an interview with Wideman yesterday, just a radio spot, he said that as it appeared he caught Silva with two big shots while he had him down and Silva's eyes actually rolled. He appeared a bit stunned.

I think when Silva got up he realized he didnt want to fight the fight in Widemans world and decided to do what he does best, fight a stand up fight that utilizes his biggest weapon, the counter punch. Siliva's best knockouts are counter punches, he catches guys off balance, exploits their mistakes and makes them look silly.

Wideman said Silva was screaming at him to "fight", "dont wrestle", "come on man". Wideman was staying patient and not taking the bait, so Silva laid it on a bit thicker. If you notice Silva stayed out of range and used leg kicks and his head movement to try and keep Wideman off balance and unable to shoot in. Silva just laid it on too quickly and got caught.

The most interesting part of this is how Silva responds in the rematch, does he come out and just crush Wideman? Is he ever going to be the same fighter? We saw with Liddell after the Rampage knockoout, he got old in an instant, never looked even close to the same. I believe Wideman is the worst match up in the division for Silva, and this is mostly because of his personality. He is also the worst fighting style match up as well, but Silva can usually overcome that.

14. FXT

FXT VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Silva is my second favorite favorite fighter after Fedor but hes on the wrong side of 35 now. Im actually surprised that he agreed to the rematch so quick.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.