1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Recommendations?

Discussion in 'Restaurants & Buffets' started by bshowell, Jul 8, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bshowell

bshowell VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    So my sister wants somewhere "fun" or "different" (foodwise and atmosphere is a plus) for her bday dinner. There will be three of us so we probably don't want to pay more than $300 - $350 total. And of course less is fine too. Suggestions?

2. HoyaHeel

HoyaHeel Grammar Police & Admin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Hard to recommend - what is her baseline? Would tapas be unusual enough? Doing a tasting menu? Robuchon wouldn't fit the price tag but L'Atelier I think would. (this is the prix fixe menu: http://www.mgmgrand.com/pdf/atelier_pre_fix_menu.pdf)

"Adult" pub crawl - go to a bunch of places for an appetizer and a drink?

3. jrinct1

jrinct1 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The type of food that you enjoy would help as well.

4. nostresshere

nostresshere Mr. Anti Debit Card

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Sorry, but with such little information and a few hundred restaurants on the strip alone, it is hard to answer.

Who is old or boring? Are you looking to spend $20 a head, $50 a head, $200 each? Ice water or crazy wine?

Where are you staying? Where have you eaten that you like?

5. lmondun

lmondun Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I say Hash House-a-go-go. Big, funny-looking food. Reasonably low prices. Eclectic clientele and wait staff.

6. thenuke1

thenuke1 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Different ?

Dicks at Excalibur ...nuf said

7. bshowell

bshowell VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Tapas? Probably not - that's pretty normal. But the Robuchon menu - Oh now THAT'S awesome! Thanks! I'll pass that on to her.

8. bshowell

bshowell VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We're looking to spend $100-$150 a head. And realistically I know that's not including wine.

We're staying at Rio. But we always tend to jump around and not eat where we stay. For example, last trip we did breakfast at Tableau (and stayed at Excalibur).

9. bshowell

bshowell VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Now I want breakfast. Which that just might be when we go...

10. HoyaHeel

HoyaHeel Grammar Police & Admin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If tapas is normal, I have no idea what different would be. Splurge on a tasting menu - most of the high end (and some middle) restaurants in Vegas have them. Super splurge for a wine pairing:peace:

(we ate at Hash House a Go Go in February - the Imperial Palace/Quad location and were seriously unimpressed by the restaurant -food, service, etc. Bland food, slow service, just didn't think it was all that good. We felt the same way about breakfast at Grand Lux that same trip - though the service was better there. At least the prices were reasonable both places.....)

11. mdm4sfest

mdm4sfest VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
  12. bshowell

bshowell VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Hoyaheel yeah she/we like food and like to try out different recommendations in our respective cities. We try to do one blow-your-mind meal when we come to Vegas and the rest regular meals (between gaming sessions of course).

I had a similar experience w/GL but for lunch. A friend raved about it and we went and...meh.

13. bshowell

bshowell VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks for the link mdm4sfest.

14. lmondun

lmondun Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Actually, my first thought was to suggest Hash House at 1 a.m. on a weekend, so there you go!

For a memorable fine dining experience, I'd also go with L'Atelier de Joel Robuchon, by the way.

15. atom

atom High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If you like sushi and are willing to go off strip, see if you can get a reservation at Kabuto. It's the best tradiotional edomae sushi on or off the strip, the price (for the quality) is excellent, and the place seats only about 20. Last time I dined there I sat at the sushi bar next to Kim Canteenwalla and Elizabeth Blau (they're regulars). Go for one of their omakases (chef's tasting menu).

Another great spot for the adventurous that draws a lot of chefs from the high end restaurants is Raku. They offer small plates of traditional Japanese izakaya.

If it must be on the strip, check out Bubbles and Bites, the bar at Guy Savoy. Same great food as Guy Savoy, tapas style. Service (at the bar) was top notch. The staff there gave me the recommendation for Raku.

16. LV_Bound

LV_Bound Well-Known Member

Trips to Las Vegas:
    That was going to be my suggestion too. It all depends on the definition of "different".:beer:

17. papillon

papillon Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I second that recommendation to Raku. I make it a point to go there to eat EVERY trip. My only Japanese fix in Vegas. Definitely worth going off Strip. Highly recommend their homemade tofu (it will change your mind about tofu) and whatever fish special they have (usually grilled). They are open very late (I think around 2 a.m.) so plenty of time to go. Make sure you get reservations. It's a small place and fills up fast. Haven't tried Kabuto yet, but going to see if I can get reservations for my August trip.

18. papillon

papillon Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Also, if you are looking for one mind-blowing meal, I would recommend Robuchons. The bread cart alone is to die for and you'd think you died and went to heaven with the dessert cart. Impeccable service, beautiful, intimate restaurant and excellent food.

19. bshowell

bshowell VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Great suggestions everyone. Greatly appreciated.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.