1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Southwest cancellation

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by captainron62, Jun 11, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. captainron62

captainron62 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I am in a pickle. I do not think there is any chance of redemption, but will ask anyways.

I purchased 2 SWA tickets, the wanna get away cheap ones for me and a friend. They are under the same confirmation # and paid for with my card. The friend now cannot travel within the alotted time. Can I cancel her flight and since its under my confirmation # use those funds to purchase a ticket for me?

2. wishman35

wishman35 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I believe it ties it to the name of the traveler, but you may want to call Southwest to see if there is anything that can be done.

If it has been 24 hours or less... you can cancel for a full refund.

3. texdan17

texdan17 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If it's within 24 hours of purchase, yes. If not, nope. Tied to the traveler name...forever. It's a lame lame policy that makes zero sense to me.

4. bubbakitty

bubbakitty Doing retirement again and happily so....

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have lost funds on my "wife" not just a friend as we could not use the funds within the year after booking. However, it was explained to me it is to circumvent those attempting to re-sell at higher prices those flights locked in at "sale" prices. Book under X Y and Z and then closer to flight time changing the name to the passenger paying higher $'s to the original purchaser. I get it. Lost money as a result but can see someone on a board like this asking if there is a flight available in the month of ? at a reasonable rate. I respond I have two at $$ price and you agree to purchase them.....sort of 3rd party booking which if SWA allowed you would find it on Expedia / travelocity / etc.

BUT, having lost money on this route I would also prefer SWA make it concrete in understanding such is the case when booking. Yes on the check out page it says to check the name listed for accuracy (I always assume spelling, gender, etc.). but still.

5. deadeye

deadeye Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yes but considering the other airlines are$150 for any change I LUV SWA. She can use the credit to fly anywhere within one year.

6. captainron62

captainron62 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I booked a trip for four of us under one confirmaiton, my friends girlfriend cannot go now. I figured he was just screwed, but you have to really dig deeply on SWA website to get to the fine print.

Oh well, thanks for the replies.

7. leo21

leo21 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Just because he can't go doesn't mean he doesn't owe for the ticket, especially since you can't redeem it.

8. wishman35

wishman35 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    True story, even being a friend, if you backed out and I can't get the money back I would still ask said friend to reimburse. In exchange give them the confirmation number and they have flight credit for 1 year.

It isn't a total loss for the person who bailed. But you would be at a loss if you didnt try to get the money back.

9. captainron62

captainron62 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I already have the money that is not an issue, he would never do that to me. I was just trying to re coup the funding for him. It looks like as of last night she is now able to go, so may not be an issue now.

Thanks everyone!

10. Mac62398

Mac62398 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    He's not totally screwed - you can request a cancellation and the credit will be under the wife's name. So the next time she plans on flying SWA, she can dip into that credit. I don't know when they expire, SWA can advise on the time limit. Hopefully a year.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.