1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Digital SLR camera problem

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by sammasseur, May 27, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sammasseur

sammasseur VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Does anyone know what the typical cost is to clean the mirrors/sensors of a DSLR camera? My rather new Canon Rebel T3 has spots and dust in the photos, and my attempt to clean things just made it worse. :cry:

2. habs0nut

habs0nut VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Local camera store here charges $40 to clean the sensor. I don't think they clean the focusing screen though.

3. saintpauljeff

saintpauljeff VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Nice camera Sam! I just got the same thing last December :thumbsup:

I've been wondering the best way to clean the mirror & lenses as well...

$40 to clean? Wow...

4. sammasseur

sammasseur VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    After posting this question, I broadened my search outward and found the cheapest listed base price to be $60, so $40 sounds better. Not sure how I managed to get a spot on something, as the previous photos taken Saturday were flawless and I've been rather meticulous about being sure everything is covered/unexposed between uses and lens changes. Oh, well......hoping I didn't do any permanent damage on my own attempt to clean things. The price you pay for better stuff, but it sure is a great camera. Have taken some stunning photos.....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. shifter

shifter Degenerate Gambler

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I scratched the CMOS on my camera trying to clean it myself and had to buy a new camera body. I was due for an upgrade anyway, so it worked out, but you really don't want to go messing around inside without knowing what you're doing. they sell cleaning kits that have the proper tools for cleaning the CMOS without scratching it, but even then you have to be very careful. I learned just to pay the cost for the professional cleaning.

6. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Doesn't matter if the mirror is dirty as it moves out of the way for the shot. Same thing why you don't need to worry about gunk on the viewfinder, unless it just bugs you; it's not in the shot. Just call your LCS and see what the rate is.

I've had my 50D for about three years now, had it in twice for cleaning.

7. runningonthehub

runningonthehub VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Sam: Spots and dust on your pictures indicate that your lens needs to be cleaned. Not the sensor. I know it seems simple, but did you do that first?

Some cameras have a sensor cleaner built in. Does yours? There are sensor cleaning kits available that you can buy. My advice don't mess with the sensor unless you really have to.

Try cleaning the lens first.

8. sammasseur

sammasseur VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Before doing anything, I switched lenses and the spot was in the same place, but much fainter

9. runningonthehub

runningonthehub VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If the spot is obvious, and it really bothers you, it might be a good idea to have the camera cleaned professionally.
    If you use a processing software that has a "cloning" function, you can use that to remove the spot in the pictures. That would save the expense of the cleaning.

10. sammasseur

sammasseur VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I take way too many pics to fuss with them like that, but thanks for the idea. Definitely going the pro route until I learn more about this type of camera. Maybe they'll teach me some things when I take it in.

11. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Where'd you buy the Canon, Sam? All the LCS around here do free classes with a purchase. That's why I went with Samy's, ultimately, almost the same price as the east coast discount houses but local service -- well, not so local now, but you know what I mean -- and bennies.

12. sammasseur

sammasseur VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It was given as a gift for my 50th, purchased through asavings.com. I bought an extended and accidental damage warranty through Square Trade.

13. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Not a warranty thing. You just need a good old-fashioned local pro retailer. I'm about a million years removed from my Oregon days, but when I was a shooter back in the day I always dealt with the Shutterbug. Gotta be one in Salem. There's also an outfit out in West Slope that does cracker-jack repair and maintenance work.

A bit off the subject but Arizona Highways puts out a great how-to book on shooting. Very worthwhile if you're still learning your way around your camera.

14. sammasseur

sammasseur VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You're right on it, Ken. I've got a Shutterbug nearby but it is closed for a remodel (yay, construction bites me in the a** once again). There is another on the other side of town so I'll be heading there soon.

15. gongoman

gongoman MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:

Wow twenty years ago:beer:

16. sammasseur

sammasseur VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    LOL, what a kick in the privates. Now excuse me while I dig out the anti-wrinkle cream and Just For Men.

:kiss:

17. sammasseur

sammasseur VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Ken, I just dropped it off at Shutterbug. $50 and 5 days. They echoed everything you said. Thanks!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.