1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Hotel Maintenance worker caught red handed

Discussion in 'Misc. Vegas Chat' started by user3657, May 16, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. user3657

user3657 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've always read threads here about rumors that rooms were broken into.

I never thought that it couldnt happen, just what are the odds of a trusted hotel employee doing something like that?

Well, a co-worker was telling me this past weekend his son's friend went back to their room to get some more beer and when he opened the door he found the maintenance worker on the phone, with everyones wallets opened on the beds.

Apparently the worker was just checking to make sure everything was ok, and quickly left.

They had about 80$ in cash that was stolen, which the hotel reimbursed. They later found out that they had about 1700$ in fraudulent credit card charges even though no cards were missing.

The worker was fired, and criminal charges are being pressed by my co-workers son for the credit card activity.

Not sure of the hotel, I asked my co-worker if he could find out.

So yea, it does happen :)

2. Reston

Reston VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Maybe something got lost in translation. But the son and his friend left their wallets in their room -- with cash and credit cards in them? And one of them goes back the to room not to get said wallets but to get beer? Uh-huh....

3. discostu

discostu Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I only ever take my ID, any players cards and cash for the day. I leave my wallet, credit cards, debit cards and other cash in the room. So uh huh it is possible.

4. Reston

Reston VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    In the room or the room safe?

5. discostu

discostu Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    When I first went to Vegas, just in the room. The past 6 years, in the safe always.

6. Ronoh

Ronoh Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I heard the same thing from my father's brother's nephew's cousin's former roommate...

7. GeorgeandTheBear

GeorgeandTheBear High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Maybe one person left his wallet in the room...maybe. All of them...not buying it.

8. merlin

merlin MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    People may do it, but it makes no sense. Why would anyone leave their wallet (with credit cards and who knows what) sitting unprotected in an unoccupied room? Your chances of having a room robbed are fairly high(I had it happen years ago), your chances of being pickpocketed are almost nil.

That being said, you cant trust that maids or maintenance are honest, dont tempt them. And another thing, he's aware of all those details, but somehow has no idea what hotel this happened at, cmon.

9. smartone

smartone VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Classic! :peace:

10. JWBlue

JWBlue VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    For the doubters. Why would this guy make this up?

It is a bizarre story though.

11. C0usineddie

C0usineddie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    How would he know the worker was fired?

i dont believe the story. If he was going to steal something then why would he wait around the room and make calls? seems to me a crook would get in and out fast.

Plus why did they not have their wallets with them if they were out and about?

It just falls apart when you think it through. Maybe next time.

Not blaming you, i think you are just relating the story as it was told to you.

12. Kickin

Kickin Flea

Not saying I believe the story but leaving their wallets in the room isn't unbelievable if they were down at the pool, on the beach, etc. He did say they went back up to get more beer so it doesn't sound like they were "out and about".

13. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Even if the story is apocryphal, it can be interpreted in one of two VMB ways:

One, stuff like this does happen, in Vegas and elsewhere, but it is rare, so practice a little common sense and you'll be fine. In other words, don't spend the lead-in time to your vacay curled up in a ball of paranoid goo.

Second, stuff like this does happen, in Vegas and elsewhere, so spend the lead-in time to your vacay curled up in a ball of paranoid goo.

14. mdee

mdee VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Public Service Announcement

I can understand you wanting to leave your extra cash (your main bank roll) in the room safe.
    But you really should re-think wanting to leave other cards in the room. If for no other reason
    than if you were to have some sort of a medical emergency that required a trip to the hospital.
    They will ask you for all kinds of info such as Photo ID, Debit or Credit Card, Insurance Card etc.

15. undathesea

undathesea Grandissimo

Trips to Las Vegas:
    What about hanging out at the pool during the day? That's cause for leaving your wallet and credit cards up in the room.

And, the part about the guy being on the phone... he could have been calling the credit card info to someone.

Still, the story does sound a little fishy to me.

16. merlin

merlin MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Plus the guy said he was pressing criminal charges for the credit card fraud, he said the cards weren't taken, the chances of them actually catching whoever made those charges are almost nil, the maintenance guy cant be charged, the whole thing makes no sense. Like I said, all those intimate details, but he doesn't know what hotel it was.

And then, to top it off, only $80 was taken from those "multiple open wallets", is that all they had, they knew exactly how much was in there?

17. discostu

discostu Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Basically what I was getting at, summarized a lot better. :beer:

18. discostu

discostu Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    There is a better chance of being drunk and not using the cards wisely but the insurance card is a good idea. Thanks, I will add that next time.

19. merlin

merlin MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The most a credit card holder can be liable for for fraud is $50, and most will wave that. To imagine that the maintenance man took out the cards, recorded the numbers, put them back, and was then calling in the numbers to some accomplice, all the while staying in the room but only taking $80 from those multiple wallets is ridiculous.

Why people make up posts I dont know, but I recall awhile back someone said their flight was diverted to another city due to weather and said the next day the airline told everyone to find their own way home from that strange city(which was ridiculous). When pressed to list the date and flight numbers so it could be looked up, they never spoke again.

20. DonD

DonD VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We must remember:

Stories get changed a little when past on and in the beginning, the co-workers sons friend might have been exaggerating a little.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.