1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Security Deposit with Debit Card at El Cortez

Discussion in 'Misc. Vegas Chat' started by Jimbo338, May 9, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jimbo338

Jimbo338 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Reservation Desk attendant told me that the EC charges $40/Night security if a debit card is used for a security deposit. She didn't say if there was a maximum or not and I didn't think to ask. I was staying for 3 nights so I was debited $120 on checkin. At checkout I was told it would be credited within 10 days. I returned home on 5-7-13 and my debit account was credited for $120 ON 5-8-13. She said that EC does not take cash.

Last year I stayed 8 nights at the Gold Spike and they just required $100. cash or debit. New management may have a different policy, of course.

Next year I hope to stay 9 or 10 days (8 or 9 nights) so AI guess that will leave the EC out. Perhaps I will be able to stay at the GS again, or perhaps the Downtown Grand (LL sounds better), or, perhaps I will try a new place for a couple of nights and move....I guess it all depends on prices. My show will be at the Rio again in 2014, but I still prefer to stay downtown though a good deal at the Gold Coast might tempt me for at least show nights. SDX to Paris,walk to Caesars for the 202 would get me to my show in appreximately 40 minutes I figure. Perhaps there is a faster way but this way is pretty simple.

Jimbo338

2. robert m.

robert m. High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You might consider splitting your trip up into three stays.

For instance, 3 nights at El Cortez, 3 at Downtown Grand & 3 at Gold Coast.

I have not yet used a debit card to secure a room; but when I use a credit card, I never have a problem -- even with a lengthy stay.

Gold Coast certainly would be convenient for Rio access. Also, the VP across the street at the Palms is excellent!

3. walylama

walylama Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    El Cortez will only let you book for seven consecutive nights so more than one hotel would be mandatory. The only thing I don't like about splitting my stay up is the different hotels holding different amounts of money. If you stay at three hotels you might end up with 300-600 dollars {for a week sometimes} after you got home pending on your card.

4. makikiboy

makikiboy VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    actually I think that it may be possible to book more than 7 nights at the EC, but your entire stay will be very pricey, maybe double or triple the room price. I stayed at the EC in march, was in vegas for 9 nights. I did a kayak search, for 7 nights the price was around $200 (about $30 a night) but for 9 nights it was closer to $700 (over $65 a night). I stayed 6 nights at the EC and the quad for the other nights, paying less than $350 for the rooms.

Not sure though, I did a kayak search on the 9 nights and found EC available but I am not sure if the EC would have let me stay for 9 nights (as others have mentioned). For the price I skipped it anyway.

As for the debit card, I signed up for my credit union's credit card. no annual fees and I asked for a low limit ($1000). Although I paid cash for the room (on another trip) I use it when booking and when they wanted a hold (EC only put a hold of $50 for the 6 night stay). I use my other mileage cc's for most of my charges but I use this card when I travel in case of cc theft. Unfortunately my credit union closed the card after 15 years because of inactivity, seems that the hold charges and backouts did not count in my activity.

5. walylama

walylama Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yes I think you are correct as far as staying over a week. I've seen others have booked thru travel websites for longer than a week at an inflated rate. Its probably smart cuz as much as I love gambling, after a week I'm getting bored and am less willing to blow large amounts of money.

6. Jimbo338

Jimbo338 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Last time I priced a 8 night stay at the El Cortez, I found a great deal for 7 nights. If the 8th night was $25 more it would have been worth it not to have to move and to get the shuttle to the airport included, but staying the extra night would have increased the rate $25 per night for all 8 nights not just the 8th one. Kayak.com showed nights in January at just over $400 with taxes. I called the hotel directly and couldn't believe I got 8 nights for $253 with tax and resort fees included. You just never know til you ask! I booked it but unfortunately had to postpone the trip.

Jimbo338

7. nostresshere

nostresshere Mr. Anti Debit Card

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Never have a problem with my credit card at all. No holds, or at least a small one.

8. makikiboy

makikiboy VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Jimbo, I have found the EC web site to have some decent hotel rates also, many times even lower than Kayak. For this past March trip, I was able to find low rates for the vintage rooms, while on Kayak they didn't have vintage rooms available.

You are also correct about the rate being high for all nights when going over 7 nights.

Strange, I called the EC before and was told that third party sites most of the time had better rates than calling the hotel. I guess I should call the hotel just to see if they are lower. thanks for the info!

nostress, I think the problem the OP had was because he used a debit card or cash. Yes, with a cc you won't encounter the same problems as when using a debit card.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.