1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

The $20 Trick thread

Discussion in 'LV Strip Hotels' started by Sonya, Jun 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vegasnut

vegasnut VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Never tried it

Well i heard about it and i think for some peeps it will help
    As im a diamond i arrange evrything to my host and yeah i visit her and sometimes bring her a lil present for her help but in my situation i dont think bribing will help
    Next time im staying at ceasars hope it will be good

2. kathski

kathski Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My host booked us in at the Mirage, but didn't tell us what type of room we have. Is it worth it to try the $20 trick or just see what he gave us first and then try?

3. Chrisby

Chrisby Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I remember the shape !.....FLUX CAPACITOR ! LOL- We were in 1325, which is the first room facing the pool in the North wing. It may help you being somewhat specific, Sun.-Fri. will as well.

-Chrisby

4. DReynolds86

DReynolds86 Let's Go Pens!

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Got an upgrade from a Fab Deluxe to a GO Room on the 24th floor with a view of Caesars Palace with the trick. Checked in around 3PM, used the VIP line after getting my Platinum card. Mentioned to the girl behind the desk that it was my girlfriend's first trip to Vegas and asked if there were any GO Rooms with a view of the Strip together. Didn't even have the $20 out until she presented me my folio and my room was GO-24086.

5. waverunner

waverunner ------VEGA$------

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thank you, thank you. Yes, the north wing facing the pool around mid level in the Ipinema Tower. My room is comped and no resort fees but i will have a sandwich ready. I will demand room #1325......if not available, floors 12-15.
    VIVA Flux Capacitor!!

6. StormHawk

StormHawk Yuma, where I work in software.

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My buddy got a corner suite at Aria for 4 nights up from a standard room (th-mon) for $50 at check in this last weekend.

7. waverunner

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Just realized that my comped room at Rio (Deluxe), is apparently a mountain view. So i'm wondering if the $20 sandwich will be good enough for a Strip/Pool view (at Ipinema Tower) because it Premium. I will be there 5 nights and even though i'm comped, i'm wondering if $20 will be enough to warrant an upgrade. It looks like $10 per night x 5 is maybe more likely.
    Has anyone used the $20 trick on a comped room at Rio to upgrade from Deluxe to Premium?

8. Chrisby

Chrisby Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We were comped a deluxe 2 queen with resort fee and $20 got us premium 2 queens with resort fee (4 nights). IMO... $4/day VS $10/day...small price to pay ! Here is the view from 1325...
    Rio room view.jpg

- Chrisby

9. glmrgirl717

glmrgirl717 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    $20 Trick.....

I had luck back in November 2011 at TI. $20 got all of my resort fees waived, a room on the top floor with the private elevator facing the pirate show, a complementary bottle of champagne, two free buffets and two free spa passes. Best gamble I ever made in Vegas! I tried to convince the couple that went with us to do the same and the husband flat out refused. They wound up on the 8th floor right above the air conditioners and they had to pay their resort fees with alone were $80. His wife didn't let him live it down for the rest of the trip :)

10. waverunner

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Just to be clear, my room for 5 nights is comped and NO resort fee (i booked Rio in Feb.). I believe my deluxe room is a King, however, i'm OK if it's a queen. But do you or anyone else feel it might be asking too much (with a $20 tip), to upgrade to a Premium room if they know i'm basically paying nothing? Maybe if i tip $30?......or $6.00 per night?......LOL.

11. Laura_W

Laura_W Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    That is fantastic to know!!! I'll definately be asking for what you did! Thanks for the info!

12. GeorgeandTheBear

GeorgeandTheBear High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Although I think it is kind of silly to call it a "trick", I scored an upgrade at TI last week. I had booked a Tower Suite, but liked the layout and location of the Executive Suite better. I didn't do anything covert like the "sandwich", but made sure I had cash in my hand that was clearly visible. I asked the desk clerk if I could get an Executive instead, because of the reasons stated. He didn't automatically give it to me, but called someone on the phone and asked if he could substitute an Executive for a Tower. His end of the conversation was "Because the customer asked for it." He hung up the phone and signed me into my Executive Suite. I handed him a $20 "tip", shook his hand, and thanked him.

13. vegas4pools

vegas4pools Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I plan on using the $20 tip trick when we check in to Ballys on a Sunday afternoon. While always had success there going from a South Tower Room to an upgraded North Tower Room and even a Jr Suite. Think my luck might be pushed if I ask for a Grand Suite? Is afternoon a better time to get an upgrade? If there is no smoking preference does that help increase the odds? Thanks

14. ButterflyMtn

ButterflyMtn High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Trying this at Mirage on Wed. Was successful last year at Harrah's hope the luck repeats and since it is a Fri check out hopefully should work. I have Flamingo booked Fri/Sat night Fax Lux. if Mirage works i'll try the Flamingo

15. br549

br549 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Checked into Planet Hollywood about 6:30 PM on April 29. Nice young man called me to counter. Gave him my ID and CC, and put a twenty on the counter. Told him "If you can do anything for me, I would appreciate it." He thanked me and started typing. I had booked a standard Hollywood Hip Room. He then told me that he was putting me in a Resort Vista room with view of the strip and Bellagio Fountains. I thanked him again and he said you are welcome. The Resort Vista room is really nice.

16. waverunner

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I just got an email from Rio (i'm staying there in 10 days), saying congrats and hoping my stay is a great one. They are offering me to upgrade to a Strip view for $10 more per night However, i'm staying 5 nights which is $50. My room is comped and no resort fee, but i was planning on using the $20 sandwich. Also, i prefer the Ipinema Tower. So, i think i'll keep my room as is and use the tip when i check in. I know it's only $30, but if they can't guarantee the Tower i want, i'll take my chance at check in.

17. DAJAMCO

DAJAMCO Newbie

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Didn't use the sandwich at NYNY, but told the young man at the front desk that we were celebrating a birthday and if he could help us out with an upgrade on our 3 Park Ave rooms we would help him out with a tip. He found us 3 Madison Ave rooms and we left him $20 per room

18. donovanrs28

donovanrs28 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Be careful with doing the $20 trick on a comped stay. If your hoping to get food/beverage comped at the end, you need to have played to cover the cost of the upgraded room versus what was booked by your host.

19. kathski

kathski Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks!!!

20. Sam in Ut

Sam in Ut High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Last Thursday I tried for the Grand Suite from a comped South Tower and ended up with the North Jr. Suite.. It cost me fifty (I know, stupid move) but in my mind, the Grand would have been money well spent. When we got to our room and realized it was the jr. Suite, I was kicking myself. Then later when reality set in, i realized that's the risk I took (and lost this time)

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.