1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

You get what you pay for?

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by Snowbelle3, Apr 11, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sco5123

sco5123 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yay, nay?

2. Nevyn

Nevyn VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Meh, not really. Its easy to pay a lot and still get utter crap. And even among pricey things that are quality, you often pay a markup much greater than the quality gap.

I've often found the sayings "buyer beware", and "there's no such thing as a free lunch" cover it better.

Because the only real truth to "you get what you pay for" is at the cheap end, where you see hard to pass up deals that end up being cheap for a very good reason, or having a catch.

Do your research, figure out what you really want and need, and you can get more than someone who paid more but didn't. But if you don't do your research and just go off price tag, you'll end up with a lot of junk.

3. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Are you asking if more expensive automatically equals better?

4. Kobra2848

Kobra2848 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Buy once and cry once has been my motto for awhile. I think in the long run it has worked out better for me
    Mark

5. shifter

shifter Degenerate Gambler

Trips to Las Vegas:
    yes, in the sense that when you don't pay much for something, you generally don't get much in return. but just because something is expensive doesn't make it good, that's for sure.

6. sco5123

sco5123 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    No just in general...about all things.

7. sco5123

sco5123 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This is precisely what I believe.

8. sco5123

sco5123 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    That's a good general one!

9. VegasBJ

VegasBJ VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    like a Range Rover?:evillaugh

10. sco5123

sco5123 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    ABsolutely. Operative term here is "generally"...at least for me, as there are times when the value goes far beyond the cost (and vice versa).

11. sco5123

sco5123 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I thought it was just me :evillaugh

12. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Now I'm even more confused. lol

OK, is a MESA Grill burger better than one from McDonald's? Do you get what you pay for at one, both, neither?

To me, the threshold is value, which is where cost and quality/satisfaction come together. We're inclined to put "more" into the house than what goes in the garage, for instance.

13. Jerseyguy

Jerseyguy MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The same as saying"You buy cheap, you get cheap"

One exception has to be the steak special at Ellis Island.
    I have a Chevy SUV,my one Golf Buddy has a Caddy SUV. His has a nicer interior,a ton of fancy high -tech just touch stuff ,but both get us there ok.
    So,is his worth more than twice what mine cost? To him it is because the money involved doesnt put a dent in him,but to me it's money I could find better uses for.
    I think what I'm trying to say is that some items like clothes or tools for example may be worth getting the best in the long run,but does a Caddy last longer than a Chevy?

14. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    +1 right there.

It's like buying a Lexus-badged Camry or a Civic branded as an Acura. To some people it's important, to some it isn't. Yes, you can make the argument that the leather or standard nav or whatever provides greater bang, but for some it's just more a thing about name and cachet. (And I'm not faulting that.)

15. LV_Bound

LV_Bound VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It depends.

16. smartone

smartone VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Well stated...:beer:

17. jdvegas

jdvegas VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    i agree that cheap almost always means not very good while expensive simply means you have a greater chance of quality, but no guarantee.

I would be more interested in "value".

For example, you might not even finish the mediocre $1.99 prime rib dinner and still think it was well worth the two bucks. And then you may think the al la cart $80 Wagu steak was outstanding and you ate every last bit of the 4oz filet... but you think it was really not much better than the big amazing steak you cooked on the grill the other night at home...and really not worth half the price paid.

18. mdee

mdee VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This is interesting... I had to do a little soul searching to come up with an answer. Like most things I try to find the best deal although I'm not a coupon clipper or a Wal-Mart shopper.
    I love Amazon and I always look for the best price on a product then I make sure the seller is reputable. Anyway I have to say when it comes to electronics I almost always buy Sony.
    Sony is not known for having the cheapest prices. I paid top dollar for a TV a few years ago that crapped out on me. And like always I went right out and bought the current top of the
    line wide screen model at my local electronics store. I'm not sure why that is. But at least this time I purchased the extended warranty which is something I never do! I always buy Sony!

19. gpenguins67

gpenguins67 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I wonder how much of this is good advertising convincing you that you still need to buy sony. Yes Sony always did and still does make a good product but its not the best anymore and it certainly is not the best for its price. Correct me if I am wrong, you still see Sony as the best company out there, probably because it was beat into you for the last 20+ years that sony electronics are the best.
    I see it all the time with customers at my part time job for a cell phone company. People come in convinced that they must have the Iphone or the samsung galaxy (simply becuase their friends say its the best and b/c the see the commercials on tv). Sometimes I can convince them to go with other phones that are half the price and equivalent or better quality but when a company throws millions of dollars into advertising to get a brand name out its tough to convince the customer otherwise.
    So to get back on topic.... "you get what you pay for" I would say is true for a buyer who does their research for cost vs value. But that ratio for cost vs value is different for everyone.

20. earth-3

earth-3 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I go middle of the road. I'm rarely impressed but never totally disappointed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.