1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Airport wind warnings?

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by Ezzy711, Apr 7, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ezzy711

Ezzy711 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I fly in Tuesday afternoon. I just checked weather.com just to see the temps for next week and saw an airport warning for high winds Monday. Looks like they predict the same weather for Tuesday. I know it's usually a little bumpy, but do they ever delay or close the airport due to winds? I want to be mentally prepared for delays. I would be devastated by a cancellation.

2. smartone

smartone VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm sure it's probably happened, but I'm also sure it's very rare... I've flown into McCarran in some brutal winds and always got down safely, though with some heavy crabbin'! I've only been a participant in one temporary closing and that was during a killer lightning storm... nothing took-off or landed for about an hour.

3. Ezzy711

Ezzy711 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks! I feel much better.

4. Turtleman

Turtleman VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I hate to burst your bubble, but … Google and ye shall find. In mid-April 2002, I remember looking out of the Flamingo midday and not being able to see across LV Blvd! Winds were reported at 60 mph and watching the few hearty souls walking along the Strip being sandblasted was a sight to behold. Fortunately, I wasn't flying that day, but takeoffs and landings were halted for a few hours. On a similar occasion a few years later, I was sure the airport would be closed as I was preparing to head back to the airport for my departing flight. I remember struggling to cross the street between the Cal and LV Club at a 45 deg. angle! Though many flights were delayed that evening, the winds had diminished enough for my redeye to leave on schedule. Ms. Gecko's flight from San Diego, however, got delayed by hours because of the winds in Vegas. She finally arrived just in time to miss rejoining me and spent a "wonderful" night camped out in the airport! Ask her about Vegas winds!

On a happier note, McCarran is used to dealing with high winds. Closures are very rare events, though winds can certainly make for some white-knuckle landings. Good luck!

5. Tammy58

Tammy58 Frugal Slot Jockey

Trips to Las Vegas:
    They have shut down temporarily due to the high winds. We ran into this about 3 years ago. Reported 60 mph winds. The landing was hell and everyone on the plane even the most experienced were wondering if we would make it. My husband was at the window and he wouldn't tell me until we were out of the airport that the wing was inches from the ground. We were sidewards coming in and landing, and bumpy as hell. They stopped flights for about an hour after we landed. When we got to the rental car terminal it was deserted and they were talking about all the flights that had been cancelled/postponed. It does seem that spring seems to be very windy in Vegas, like all other areas of the country it is a transitional time with the weather. We actually stopped going in April and now go in May due to the craziness of April weather.

6. pbrehob

pbrehob Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have been delayed because of high winds in Las Vegas once. It was about three years ago before a March trip. We were supposed to depart Indy for Vegas at around 6:00 pm and we didn't leave until around 10:00 pm.

7. KBT2012

KBT2012 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I haven't been delayed because of winds, I've landed in extreme conditions however (I fly out of Midland, TX and it is often extremely windy). In fact my last trip back there were 60mph wind gusts and we landed just fine. The runways have many directions and they adjust accordingly, if not they will do a crosswind landing and to the post above although it may have seemed like the wing was inches from the ground, I assure you it was not as that is impossible for the aircraft to get that close to the ground without crashing.

To the OP, it is highly highly unlikely your flight will ever ben cancelled due to wind. You may get a delay due to wind sheer but very very rarely would it ever get completely cancelled.

8. Ezzy711

Ezzy711 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thank you all for the info. I know most of my flights to LAS end up have some bumps. Sounds to me like an excuse to get a few extra drinks before we land!

9. JPParty-man

JPParty-man Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm flying in tomorrow morning at 10 and also noticed the wind warning on weather.com website. Flying in from atlanta. Can't wait to put my feet on Vegas ground!

10. Jimbucc

Jimbucc VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I am leaving Cleveland at 5 P.M. today. My flight has a layover in Denver. Denver is going to get blasted with snow late tonight into tomorrow. The flight leaves Denver at 9 P.M. Denver time. I need to get out of Denver before the snow flies and safely land in Vegas with high winds. Wish me luck. :peace:

11. JNCVH

JNCVH Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Just have a drink and hold on, makes it an experience:evillaugh

12. g-didi

g-didi Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
  13. Jimbucc

Jimbucc VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Made it to Denver. Circled about one hour waiting to land. Very bumpy. Now waiting to get out of Denver. Please get me to Vegas.

14. thespiritoftruth

thespiritoftruth Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Always wanting to know what's going on during flight (or before we take off) I use an app on my iPhone called "turbulence forecast for iPhone". Not sure if there is an android equivalent, but they capture turbulence advisories, pilot reports of turbulence, clear air turbulence potential, etc. It's a pretty handy app to help keep you informed of advisories, and expected bumps you might see/feel throughout the flight

15. smartone

smartone VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Being completely honest here, I'm not sure I'd wanna know. I fly from Reno to Vegas and back a couple dozen times a year. Both airports are well-known for wind issues. There's been plenty of times when they sit the flight attendants down, but the turbulence never materializes. I could care less about the drink service, but the whole plane kinda gets "tense" anticipating it.

I appreciate that the pilots do that knowing what they know... I'm just not sure I'd like getting on a plane knowing an app has forecast turbulence. I try real hard not to worry about things I can't do anything about.

16. bswim

bswim High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The afternoons in the summer can be pretty bumpy as you come over the mountains into the valley. Must have something to do with the hot air rising out of the valley or something. Pilot said it was normal for that time of day (this was in July).

17. JPParty-man

JPParty-man Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Amen! I just arrived in Atl waiting to board for Vegas. That tiny plane from TLH to ATL sucked!! Good thing I love Vegas more than I hate flying!

18. Chuck2009x

Chuck2009x VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It's possible that you could get diverted by wind conditions rather than having your flight canceled.

As long as the plane is at your departure airport, there's a good chance they will take a shot at getting you to Vegas, because they also need the plane to be there.

A bunch of people I work with got diverted to LAX last year due to wind and had to rent cars to get to LAS.

19. thespiritoftruth

thespiritoftruth Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Smartone...I'm with you man, trust me. I honestly don't want to know either, but my poor engineering brain takes over when we are hitting turbulence, as I'd rather be able to diagnose the bumps as yeah, these were expected rather than, oh $h!t, what's going on up there (somehow I think I'm in control). As much as I know about the design, fabrication, testing, etc. of airframes and aircraft (yes, the designs for commercial aircraft are extremely robust when compared to other things), I always still want to know what to expect for some reason, when all I should be worried about is whether I'm getting a Gin and tonic next or a vodka and soda this time.

Back to the OP's question...my girlfriend was once delayed on the tarmac for over an hour due to a cold front blowing through where I was having a difficult time driving to the airport (sustained winds in the 40's, gusting higher) and her flight was a red-eye back east. Point being, no matter how bad we think it might be, they know the limitations of the aircraft, and Chuck2009x hit it on the head, they need to aircraft in LAS to take the passengers to wherever their next destination is.

20. smartone

smartone VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Ha! Ha! I gottcha... I've been at conferences and done those personality assessments and the engineering guys always are in the group that craves information and data. I'm in the group that just wants to get along with everyone and makes decisions on what feels right, with far less regard for the info. Those exercises are fun and revealing... demonstrates how one group has trouble communicating with the others.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.