1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Pool: Bally's vs Flamingo

Discussion in 'LV Strip Hotels' started by Goodfella, Mar 17, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Goodfella

Goodfella Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We have stayed at Bally's two times now and are thinking a different hotel for our Vegas trip come September (Mon - Thur.). We really enjoyed the pool at Bally's as it is laid back and we could find some shade with no problem. We like to get up around noon and then hang around the pool until 5 pm'ish and then head out to the strip. We are looking at the Flamingo this time as they are about the same price as Bally's and they seem to have a huge pool. Questions are this.....

1. Is it easy to find a spot in the shade at the Flamingo pool?
    2. No extra cost at Bally's for the pool, does the Flamingo charge extra for this?

Thanks all!

2. captainron62

captainron62 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have stayed at both and enjoy both the pools, but they are vastly different. You have been to Bally's, Flamingo is a party pool, hip hop DJ playing, booty shakin contests, girls dancine on the pool islands etc, etc.

It is very difficult to get a decent spot at all at the Flamingo, let alone one with shade. You would have to either get up early and wait in line and "mark your spot" or rent something.

I go to LV every Labor Day weekend, last year we did Flamingo, this year we are going back to Bally's. Flamingo was a blast, but it was a lot like work getting a spot and dealing with the crowded pool. I twice had drinks spilled by people throwing balls around, it got a little annoying. I saw several people have the same thing happen or get hit with the balls they throw from one end of the pool to the other.

So if you want a party vibe, Flamingo, if you want to chill Bally's.

There is no charge at Flamingo if you are a guest there.

3. Goodfella

Goodfella Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks Capain Ron. Very informative response. One last question...is it just as crowded at the pool at the Flamingo during the week as during the weekend? But, it sounds like it will be back to Bally's for us.

4. KKB

KKB VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Stick with Ballys

Flamingo is crowded all summer...

5. Patripman

Patripman High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Been to both over the past 2 years and although I am very biased with Ballys both pools are different settings altogether. With Ballys you dont have to worry much about getting a lounger even if your not at the pool when they open, with Flamingo you better be in line when they open and hope you find a chair. Both do have DJ's but Flamingo is geared for the under 35 crowd where Ballys is geared for people over 35 up to wheelchair bound. I think the biggest difference is with outside drinks, with Ballys you can bring in outside drinks like water or coffee, Flamingo will say no to all drinks. Totally different operations.

p

6. captainron62

captainron62 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    There were less people partying in the pool during the week, but it was not much easier to get a lounger. I was there during a guys trip, I wouldnt want to take a gf or wife there, just my opinion. I am 39 though, so I am pushing their target market anyways.

7. DonnyC

DonnyC VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You old man!

Oh wait at 32....I'm not that far behind!

8. LA2VegasTrekkers

LA2VegasTrekkers High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Doesn't Flamingo have two separate pools? The Party Pool and another one? I understand the other one is the "family" pool. Has anyone been to it? Is it smaller? Quieter? Or just overrun by rug rats?

9. captainron62

captainron62 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Not anymore. Just one pool now. Changed last year. 21 and over only.

10. LA2VegasTrekkers

LA2VegasTrekkers High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks. I guess they haven't updated their website. We're late 30s/early 40s and were considering some pool time this summer, but were concerned that the party pool would skew way too young for us, plus we don't like hip hop, so we were thinking we'd just go to the other pool. Guess not...

11. captainron62

captainron62 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    They switched last year. Maybe switching back this year. Hard to tell. We're late 30s and opting for ballys this year. Flamingo was just a bit much to deal with 4 or 5 days in a row.

12. jmn3

jmn3 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Good info...I am contemplating joining a few friends in Vegas in early June and they are already booked at the Flamingo. I usually stay at the MGM but figure I might try to stay where they are or at least more mid-strip so that I'm nearby.

This will be a guys trip and I am 32, but I really don't feel like I'll want to deal with the Flamingo pool for the whole week. It seems like it could get old real quick. Love the MGM and the Lazy River...I think it's a good vibe and balance there, not too much like a crazy club, but also not a retirement home.

13. snoopydogj

snoopydogj High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Are guy trip for the last 5 years has been at Flamingo. It's just getting to unbearable any more to get in get a chair & then the music. Were looking at Mirage cause I love the pool, or we might try Ballys cause It will be way cheaper.

14. Nittany1

Nittany1 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I always liked the fact that Bally's has a "deep end" to their pool.Have not stayed there in a while but I guess they still do.
    I don't know any other pool on the strip that does.
    Definitely prefer Bally's pool to the Flamingo.

15. Sam D

Sam D Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Bally's maximum pool depth is 12'. Besides Bally's, the only other remaining pool with a deep end is the Riviera which has a max depth of 9'. I can remember when both pools had high and low diving boards. Good times.

16. Sam D

Sam D Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If you are staying at the Flamingo and you are bothered by the conditions at their pool, you can walk over and use the pool at Bally's. I don't know what their policy is for pool use by guests of their sister hotels but it doesn't matter. At Bally's they never check your room key for entry into the pool area.

17. banddswig

banddswig Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Is the flamingo pool crowded pre-Memorial or post-Labor day? We try to visit Vegas at these times to avoid kids or the college crowd.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.