1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

UFC 158--Your pick GSP or Diaz?

Discussion in 'The Sports Book' started by schwaiguy, Mar 14, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. schwaiguy

schwaiguy High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I pick Diaz. I've seen him pull off some heavy stuff in Pride.

My caveat is GSP might be able to outgame him. That's much different than outfighting him. By outgaming I mean GSP--with the jujutsu tattoo, mind you--refused to lock up with Jake Shields. Or, in one fight, all he did was straight jabs the whole fight.

Bear in mind, I consider Diaz as having beat Condit. If Dana White can come out the next day and bitched after Silva ran away fro Demian Maia, he should have done the same for Condit/Diaz.

I also think, short of Rustam Khabilov, Greg Jackson is turning the UFC back into point karate. And, I'm so old school, I don't even believe in judges' decisions.

schwaiguy

2. Nevyn

Nevyn VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I think GSP is the far superior fighter, but Diaz is a dangerous matchup.

GSP doesn't really take big chances anymore, because he's so much better at the long game that there's not much point at risking a lucky shot trying to finish.

The downside of that approach is that since he's unlikely to finish, he needs to avoid Diaz's power for 5 rounds.

Most likely scenario is Diaz gets in a shot or two but spends most of the fight on his back getting pummelled and loses a decision. But if the shot or two are good enough, he could score the upset.

3. schwaiguy

schwaiguy High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Interesting that you're saying shot for Diaz. I thought GSP was really big on his double leg. Didn't he want to go to the Canadian Olympics once? I'm not sure he would have lasted long.

Actually, I haven't sen a lot of GSP's fights. I don't remember him actually fighting that much, and I was usually following the Japanese promotions or even Strikeforce.

But what's your take on conditioning? I think they're both very high. I think it's more obvious when you look at St. Pierre, but do you think either has an advantage based on conditioning alone?

schwaiguy

4. Bubbavegas

Bubbavegas VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    GSP pretty much no question. Diaz does not do good against wrestler and never has, thats why he was the Strikeforce champ they had no strong wrestlers in his division to deal with and he has not evolved his game since his last stint in the UFC when he was beaten by guys like Sherk and Sanchez. They both have conditioning that can go the distance but GSP has so much more athleticism, strength and has trained extensively with Renzo Gracie who is a far better GJJ coach the Cesar could ever think of being. GSP will grind out yet another 5 rd win and continue his streak of not finishing fights then he will have to face my buddy Hendricks he ran from this time around after Johny KTFOs Condit.

5. Bubbavegas

Bubbavegas VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Diaz did beat Condit, yet another bad decision in the sport and yet another win for Condit he did not deserve like his win over Ellenberger. Dana is one of the most two faced people you will ever meet, he praises GSP who has not finished a fight in nearly 7 years and plays it safe all the time, but Silva clowning Maia was a travesty in his mind. Really it was because they took in a HUGE gate in Abu Dhabi and some of the Sheiks were POed and let him know it is what my sources in the sport say.

6. C0usineddie

C0usineddie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This fight is just to push gsp in front of the hometown crowd.

he is a favorite with the ladies and does talk shows and interviews and magazine shoots.

Of course dana White would love to have more female fans so they are using gsp plus a bunch of female fighters to push thisd agenda.

The whole time gsp has been interviewing, diaz has been training.

Diaz will win this hands down.

Of course there will most likely be some bogus decisions to ensure they have a rematch.

7. captainron62

captainron62 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    GSP has to much athleticism and strength for Diaz. I am a Diaz fan, he comes to fight, but GSP out thinks opponents and will play to his strenght. GSP will not fear Diaz on the ground, I think he will prefer the fight on the floor actually. Diaz lacks one punch power, that would be the only shot at beating GSP, to catch him coming in like Condit almost did.

I say GSP by decisio with Diaz face looking like it was run through a meat grinder and run over by a group of tourists on scooters. GSP could very well end it as well by holding Diaz down and ground and pounding him out early.

8. mike_m235

mike_m235 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'll take Rush. Decision. 49-46 at the worst, maybe 50-45.

9. bswim

bswim High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    ^this

Diaz has a punchers chance and GSP may have some "ring rust" he's coming off a long layoff but he's such a well rounded fighter and athlete. He doesn't have a wrestling background and yet uses wrestling better than most can to get his opponents where he wants them.

That said, I like seeing the punk Diaz brothers lose too. They're talented as hell, just hate their attitudes. It was fun watching Nate getting schooled by Benson Henderson, that was one of the most lop sided championship fights I've seen in a while.

10. schwaiguy

schwaiguy High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    LOL

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/9Qkr3KKDn-E" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

11. POPO2012

POPO2012 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Couldn't agree more with any of the above !!!:drunk:

12. Bubbavegas

Bubbavegas VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    GSP just fought Condit 4 months ago, if anyone has ring rust it will be Nick who has not fought in 14 months due to his weed suspension after the Condit fight. GSPs wrestling skills are pretty limited actually, coming from a wrestlers POV, he has a great double leg and multiple ways to set the shot up but theres a reason he did not go for the Olympics :nono:. I really don't see any way Nick wins this unless he catches GSP in a submission which I doubt very much as GSP has great sub defense from his time at Renzos gym, Nick is a great Gi competitor, world class actually, but the Gi does not transfer to No Gi grappling well. GSP 50-45 or via doctor stoppage from him jabbing Nicks scar tissue for 4 rounds straight.

13. schwaiguy

schwaiguy High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Outside of Rousey, Yussup Saldaev and Rustam Khabilov, this is one of the fights I'm most looking forward to. I really don't wanna see a 5-round hold-down ending in a judge's decision.

14. Alasted

Alasted Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I foresee Georges coasting to another boring decision.

15. Bubbavegas

Bubbavegas VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You sir are in all likelihood correct in that assumption, GSP always makes for a good time for a bathroom break or to get the poker table setup, or a nap. The main reason I am even getting this card is my former training partner Hendricks is on the card and SHOULD be in the main event instead of the punk who is, but the Canadian golden boy gets to call his shots, esepecially in Canada where he always fights/

16. Alasted

Alasted Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yeah, Hendricks totally got screwed, but I'm sure he'll get a shot at the title once he lays out Condit.

17. Bubbavegas

Bubbavegas VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You would definitely think so but Dana has not guaranteed Johny a shot even if he does beat Condit, Dana wants GSP to keep that belt in hopes of the so called Superfight with Silva. Johny is the only person who has not just beaten but KTFO 4 of the top 5 and never even been offered a title shot in UFC history.

18. shifter

shifter Degenerate Gambler

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Diaz is all talk. but i'm looking forward to the fight nonetheless.

19. reedy

reedy Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    GSP eats his whole head then i go on a date with Gina Carano.

20. shifter

shifter Degenerate Gambler

Trips to Las Vegas:
    She's too busy making movies

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.