1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Double Down Saloon question

Discussion in 'Vegas Nightlife' started by imwired, Mar 1, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. imwired

imwired High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We like dive bars but we're well past 40. Thinking of checking this out probably on a weekend afternoon. We're thinking before dark we can get the dive bar ambiance w/o as much commotion.
    I understand they have VP machines? at the bar? anyone played or won here?

2. captainron62

captainron62 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    They have VP at the bar. I lost my money there just as effectively as anywhere else, did not notice much difference in the play as compared to any other off strip joint. They COMP beer, they do not have draft, bottles only.

3. imwired

imwired High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    thanks for the reply captainiron
    is beer the only drink they comp?
    can you give me an idea where the place is in relation to Hard Rock?

4. captainron62

captainron62 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Beer is all that I drink, so not sure about liquor COMP. From Hard Rock you walk towards Paradise, then North. Its just a little joint, we went by twice before we spotted it. We went mid afternoon, its very dark and there were only about 6 locals inside and two strippers shooting pool. We enjoyed a couple hours there and then moved on. I am 38 for two more days and my pals are in their 40's we fit in just fine.

5. imwired

imwired High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:

6. smartone

smartone VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My standard Jack and Coke's have been comped plenty of times while playing... frankly, late afternoon and early evening is a hoot there as the construction guys drink in addition to the local "ner do well" group.

The Captain's bearings might be off just a bit though (or I read incorrectly), as the Double Down is just a short walk south (towards the airport) of the Hard Rock on Paradise to a little street called Naples (that runs between Paradise and Swenson). You walk east (left towards UNLV) and it's right there. There's some other predominately gay bars are there, as well as one helluva nice guy who runs a smoke shop.

The whole trip in literally 5-7 minute walk... you spend more time at the light (Harmon/Paradise) then you do walking.

7. imwired

imwired High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    thanks
    Is it in a strip mall or standing alone?

8. smartone

smartone VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It sits in the east corner of a little, and I do mean little, strip mall.

9. captainron62

captainron62 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I probably am a bit off, I stopped on way back from Hoover Dam, and it took me a few passes to find it.

Thanks for straightening me out, literally!! ha!

10. Sonya

Sonya Queen of VMB

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My advice for the Double Down - Do NOT order the bacon martini!

11. imwired

imwired High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    thanks all
    No, I don't think I'll order that martini. :beer:

12. dmr

dmr Registered Abuser

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Of all of the nasty drinks there are in this world, that one sounds the most disgusting!

13. Sonya

Sonya Queen of VMB

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It is so gross. It went around our table like this:

Girl 1 - Bacon Martini!!! Ewwww.. taste this
    Girl 2 - That is gross! Here, taste this.
    Girl 3 - Bleck! Here, taste this.
    Sonya - Pass!

My momma didn't raise no fool. :wink2:

14. jrinct1

jrinct1 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I LOVED going late morning early afternoon. Staff and crowd VERY laid back and a lot of fun. Always played pinball too ( wondering if they still had it havent been
    n a while).

15. Blatz

Blatz Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I happen to enjoy the Bacon Martini...but just one :)

Don't feel self-conscious about your age, there are all ages in there all the time. They have a great jukebox if you're into rock and roll, and the free bands at night can be entertaining. Make sure you try the ass juice and Schlitz special, but avoid shitting(in the restroom or bar) at all costs.

Do note, if you vomit in the bar and don't clean it up, you're not welcome back, but you can purchase puke insurance for 20 bucks, and they'll do the cleaning for you.

16. Sonya

Sonya Queen of VMB

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I didn't visit the bathroom after seeing one of our degenerettes come back with a horrified look on her face saying something about the seat not being attached and sliding off the toilet. :haha:

17. Blatz

Blatz Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Hey, at least the ladies' room HAS a seat!

The powder room for the gentlemen has a toilet with no seat situated about 4" from a urinal. I'll never forget the first time I went in there to take a leak, and a dude ran in behind me, dropped his pants and proceeded to unload into the seatless toilet. "Sorry man, must have been the coffee".

I'll chalk that one up to one of my most awkward bathroom moments.

18. dandaman

dandaman Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I could not agree more. I do not know how they infuse the liquor with the bacon flavor but, I believe it involves the grill scrapings from the nearest Denny's.

19. Big Tip

Big Tip VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    True that. You order it thinking there must be a trick to it. It can't be as weird as it sounds.
    It is.

20. Ratpacker13

Ratpacker13 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Oh I HIGHLY suggest going to the Double Down as ii IS the happiest place on Earth and any joint frequented by Timothy Leary when he walked the Earth can't be all that bad! I would suggest an early afternoon visit before the bands come in and it gets too packed. Also if yer in town midweek, they have an awesome daytime happy hour, cheap as hell!

Be forewarned, this is the kinda joint you go to experience, take in and revel in what it is, a no nonsense, no frills, no bells and whistles dive bar. A jagged rock among a sea of bright shiny over polished rocks is what it is. The people are what make this place and you never know what is going to happen....pretty exciting huh?!?

Example, one trip my girl and I went in early on midweek day (think it was about 11am or so, just flew into town, checked in, dropped gear, out the door) and took a spot at the bar along with about three others. Bar tender set us up with a couple of PBRs and a couple of shots of Ass Juice (house shot made up of the butts of all the bottles of booze and some punch) and we were off to the races!

Now myself, I enjoy a good shit beer (oxymoron, I know) as I have had plenty in my day and I joke that I have drank my way across the U.S. and back in shit beer while on tour. Anyway, what the DD lacks in drafts they make up for in selection with an array of hard to find beers, so I proceed to drink my way through them. I believe I was at about Olympia beer when a fella bust through the back door of the place with a large duffle bag in hand, louder than hell and larger than life.

This cat had the thickest of thick New York accents and was calling out to the bartender to set him up as he made his way to the bar and took the empty spot to my right. He lifts the bag up on to the bar, drops it and lands with a heavy thud....nothing odd there right? Sure it was filled with his books in between classes at UNLV right? The guy was easily in his late fifties, road hard and put away wet if you catch my drift and dressed like an extra from the Sopranos. Bartender gets him his drink, which he wolfs down and is promptly poured another. He makes some small but albeit loud talk with our bartender friend and then turns his attention to us. He begins to chit chat with me about who we are, where we're from, joking about, then asks us what we're drinkin'. Tells the bartender to set us up and the other three folks sitting at the bar. After a few more rounds, this guy is three sheets to the wind and says he's gettin' a little loopy and wants to settle up his tab as he goes and proceeds to pull out a bankroll the size of Fort Knox. He tosses a a few bills on the table and says keep 'em coming! Says he's in town on buisness and this and that and being that I been drinking non stop have to make my way to the little boys room.

I get up, he starts making small talk with my girl, no biggie. I come back, he is sittin' in my seat, I ain't the jealous type so I let 'em finish their convo. He asks her if she got another drink which she did not and pulls out another large bill and puts it on the bar in front of her and motions to bartender, keep her goin! Now he notices I am back, gives me my seat back and same thing, you need a drink, set him up! This goes on for about an hour or so, buying us drinks, buying the folks at the bar drinks, even a round of drinks for some people that came in and sat at a table. At one point he downs his drink, slams it down, asks the bartender to call him a cab. Cab gets there, he throws another wad of cash on the bar (mind you this is on top of the cash he had put in front of us for drinks) and instructs the bar tender to keep us goin' and take a few hundred for himself and poof walks right out the same door he came in with duffle bag in hand.

Sitting there in disbelief, my girl and I look at each other, trying to figure out what just happened. The bartender then places the change from the bills our benefactor had put in front of us as well as empty upside down glasses to mark how many drinks we still had coming to us (It was a few of 'em for each of us). Bartender then tells us that he does this every so often, comes in, has a few drinks, drops a load of cash and then is gone....

So we ended up getting I don't know how many rounds of drinks bought for us and then got the change from the cash he had put out for us individually to boot....we essentially got paid to drink! Never did find out what was in the bag but something tells me we didn't wanna know! Only in Vegas baby!

Though I can not recommend the Bacon Martini, take a chance and try a shot of Ass Juice to kick yer visit to the Double Down off and live a little! Have fun and may your adventure be a great memorable one!

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.