1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

What can we take on plane?

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by gregsmith, Feb 20, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gregsmith

gregsmith Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Been long time since I flew years ago (pre 9/11)....so what can you and can't you take on plane? How about the TSA check.... How long should I arrive before flight to make it in time?
    Also wife has mace and pepper spray can you have that?
    Am probably flying out of Dulles (DC) to LV...

2. shifter

shifter Degenerate Gambler

Trips to Las Vegas:
    you can pack mace/pepper spray in your luggage and check it, but no you can't carry it onto the plane.

3. mike_m235

mike_m235 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    At Dulles, it really depends on the time of day that you're flying on how early you need to get there. Evening flights the secuirty isn't bad and you can arrive 90 minutes early wit no problem. Morning, I'd give it more. And of course if you're driving in...well if you live near enough to drive in to Dulles I don't have to tell you.

That's my least favorite airport in America.

4. BreakEven

BreakEven High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    http://www.tsa.gov/traveler-information

The most important thing you need to know are the 3-1-1 rules for liquids in carry on bags. If you have a laptop, make sure to take it out of the bag and put it on the belt.

I always arrive (at a different airport) 2-2.5hrs before my flight departs. Most of the time, I breeze right through. On particularly busy days, I've almost had to sprint to make it to my plane.

Overall, I'd say it is getting better. But if it's been that long since you've flown, you will for sure be very confused :) Good advice here - http://www.tsa.gov/traveler-information/how-get-through-line-faster

5. angelo

angelo Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It is always better to put all self-defense items in the luggage. Put all liquid stuff/lighters/etc. away or in the luggage also.

I prefer to be at the airpost atleast 1-2 hours before the flight, so there is time for everything.

6. Smo

Smo Mr. Las Vegas

Trips to Las Vegas:
    2 hours is a good time to be early to the airport. Especially if you are leaving Las Vegas, those are the longest lines I have ever encountered consistently.

As mentioned in the post above, those are some great links full of useful info for anyone.

7. 44inarow

44inarow VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This bears emphasis. It takes an absolutely astounding amount of time to get through Vegas security; on my last trip, my buddy with elite airline status used the first class line, and it still took well over a half-hour. I don't even want to think about how long the regular line would have taken. Days like that really make me appreciate being Pre-Check eligible (it took me about 90 seconds to get through security, start to finish :Þ ).

8. LucyR.

LucyR. VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    What I pack to carry on the plane

I carry an empty plastic container to put water in it after I pass security. I make sure the bottle is out of my bag so they can see that it is empty. I always have to have water with me in case my throat gets real dry on the plane.

The stewards will bring you some water at their convenience unless you say you need to take some meds. Then they bring me a tiny cup with water. Delta says that their bottled water is just for first class. Ba hum bug. Cheap skates.

I fly Southwest now. But I still carry my plastic container because it is also good to ask for the can of soda so you can put it in your container and drink it as needed.

I pack snacks for short flights and sandwiches for long flights to carry on the plane.
    I have always been allowed to carry food and drinks on the plane.

You must make sure to stay with your carry on bags as it goes through security scanner because someone can put drugs inside or outside of your bag. One time someone put a wine cork screw and attached it to the outside of my bag. Security found it and they knew by looking at my surprised face that it wasn't mind.

It helps to be happy and friendly with security and also cooperate with them.

9. nostresshere

nostresshere Mr. Anti Debit Card

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You can fill your empty bottle in any of the water fountains before boarding the plane.

10. gregsmith

gregsmith Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks will take that advice.....

Dulles is not my preference either so if anyone knows better airport with better fares within 4 hour drive of western virginia let me know.....

11. HoyaHeel

HoyaHeel Grammar Police & Admin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    How far south in VA? Southwest out of BWI could be the cheapest, depends....National is ridiculous. Again, depending on where you are, potentially Richmond.

12. jr7110

jr7110 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
  13. BreakEven

BreakEven High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    While the lines are longer in Vegas, they seem to move a lot faster there than at other airports. I've gotten in the really long, winding line multiple times thinking I was going to be there for 45+ minutes and have breezed through the checkpoint in <15m. Sometimes the line barely stops for a second of two at a time (not enough time for me to even untie my shoes & get ready for the checkpoint).

I can't absolutely prove this, but in my experience, the later you are for your flight, the longer the line will be when you get to the checkpoint.:)

14. thecarve

thecarve Misanthrope

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You’re in Harrisonburg, right? I assume you’ve already checked Roanoke, Charlottesville and Richmond? I’ve occasionally found decent fares out of ROA. You won’t be able to fly direct from any of them. But the drive to the airport will probably be quicker. And with Roanoke and Charlottesville (I’ve never flow from RIC), you won’t need to get there nearly as early as you would at Dulles. They’re so small that you can usually park, get your boarding pass, get through security and be at your gate in a matter of about 15 minutes. (Of course, you should still leave yourself plenty of extra time…just in case.)

15. gregsmith

gregsmith Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yes I'm in Harrisonburg. Will try those other airports. Some friends told me as gets closer fares drop to wait til 30-45 days before flying? Is that true or wrong?

16. mikeinctown

mikeinctown High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Which is actually a pile of bullsh!t. We are directly paying for the security measures by our manditory fees and 9/11 taxes when we go to the airport. There is absolutely no reason that security screening should be impacted. In fact I wish airports would just privatize it and tell the govt to get the F out.

17. Buckeye Bob

Buckeye Bob Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The key is to be patient with the process. Expect that it will take longer than you would like. These people are working hard to male the process go smoothly but its a tough situation without enough help. And no, I don't work in the travel industry but do fly about 70-80 times a year so I've seen it all. People get so mad at the airline workers for things like weather delays and there's just not much they can do about it.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2013
  18. IvanBeausky

IvanBeausky Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Unless I am wrong (and that never happens HA!) I think you are allowed one lighter (zippo/bic/matches) to be taken ON the plane with you. NO torches. If you pack them in checked luggage, TSA will confiscate them. Found that out the hard way when I forgot about a torch I had gotten for a birthday that was just happened to be in my golf bag. They found it and took it.

Check on the "lighter" rules. Not sure about pepper spray or mace. Bet you can't take either of those.

19. zamboni

zamboni VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My ex girlfriend worked security at MCI in KC and she would bring home candle/grill lighters all the time because they would confiscate them from travellers. Why would anyone take a candle lighter on vacation with them? That was 1999-2000 and it still makes me scratch my head.

20. mikeinctown

mikeinctown High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    What kind of snacks can one bring? I'm wondering if I can bring a 12oz bag of M&Ms on the plane. Watching movies on my laptop and snacking would sure help make the time go by.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.