1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Yes! Another Trip Planning Advice Needed Thread!!

Discussion in 'LV Strip Hotels' started by Dice, Feb 5, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dice

Dice Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    OK. I know I may be hitting this a bit early, but as anyone who enjoys Vegas can imagine, it’s completely normal and warranted. My friends and I are planning a trip in October, over the weekend, in order to catch the sports book scene on an NCAA/NFL weekend.

Here’s our story. There will be three of us flying out on Thursday, and staying until Monday. We have another friend who is flying out and meeting us Friday and staying until Sunday. Two of us have already been to Vegas (the friend flying out Friday and I). The other two are first timers and I’ve been put in charge of making this trip an enjoyable first time experience for them (partially for selfish reasons because I want more people who WANT to come to Vegas with me when I want to go!).

I’m already going to take into account some of the tips I’ve heard on here, like checking to see if booking hotel and flight separately equates to a cheaper deal than Priceline, Southwest, Hotwire, etc., so I would like to thank all of you for that first and foremost.

The help that I require now is with logistics, specifically, what to book based on our specific ideas on living arrangements for the trip. My friends all said they would like their own bed. We’re all close to thirty, and while we’re not quite partied out, we are all over sleeping on a cold, hard floor in tight, uncomfortable spaces.

First, how do I go about booking? Should I look to book two different rooms? If booking the hotel separately from the flight, should I book one room for Thurs-Mon, and another room for Fri-Sun, so we each have our own beds (With the request of a rollaway for Thurs and Sun night)? I know if I do something like this, I probably won’t be able to get adjoining rooms, and it might be pricey, since we’ll be there on the weekend. If I go with this option, I want to stay somewhere mid-strip.

Another choice I’m looking at is maybe staying at the Palazzo Bella Suite the whole trip. There, we would get two Queens, have the sofa, and when my friend comes on Friday, we can request a rollaway. This has been the option I’ve been leaning towards, as it’s the most streamlined, and requires much less hassle.

What just recently entered my mind is possibly looking for a nice Suite for our entire stay at a place that’s not quite the upper most tiers of places to stay, but just a notch below. Something like the MGM Grand Queen Suite, or along those lines (VERY OPEN TO SUGGESTION HERE). That way, we could have the two beds, sofa, and request a rollaway. I’m just unsure if this would be a better option than just staying at the Palazzo?

I can’t seem to make up my mind here, and am requesting as much help as you are willing to provide to sway me in a certain direction. I’d like to thank you all in advance, as you have been very helpful with advice before. Thanks again! :beer:

2. nostresshere

nostresshere Mr. Anti Debit Card

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You question about getting suite is a common dilemma discussed here. Scroll down over the past month and you will see similar postings.

Getting two queen beds, couch and roll away means 4 guys sharing one bath. Not fun.

Most suites are one large room, and therefore any one persons bad sleeping habit will impact the other three.

I would lean towards a less expensive hotel, get two rooms with two beds in each. That is me.

3. Nevyn

Nevyn VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I agree with nostresshere.

For the cost of a suite you can very likely get two rooms and all sleep better. Draw straws for the guy who gets a room to himself for 2 nights, and split the cost up so the short stay guy pays his half for 2 nights, then you divide the rest of the cost three ways.

4. gpenguins67

gpenguins67 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    also agree with these guys... 4 people and 1 bathroom can be a pain. But if you do opt to do a queen suite... I like the ones at MGM.

I stayed in the suite at MGM and we had 2 queen size beds plus a decent sized sectional couch. Realistically 4 people can sleep there with no problem. 1 guy in each bed and 1 guy on each side of the sectional. The bathroom is a decent size and has a large countertop with 2 sinks... it has a seperate shower and tub.
    From what I've seen pricewise you are only gonna spend an extra $15-25 a day if you get the suite versus a standard room. Plus you are gonna save $28 a day in resort fees for the second room.
    Again it is person preference but I don't know if I can handle staying in the room with 3 of my friends for 5 days.

5. kingslender

kingslender Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yeah, for 3+ days, definitely get a couple rooms. Then again, if my buddies and I are going on a short trip (2 nights) - we just crash in 1 room.

6. mike_m235

mike_m235 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'd get two rooms. I'd go with a slightly lower tier hotel if needed to make the budget work. You could get 2 rooms in a decent location, like Ballys, for the price of one higher end suite.

You just never know with that many people in one room. What if one guy snores like a fiend? What if someone gets sick. Just shell out the extra cash.

You may not get adjoining, but you can almost always get same floor.

Since you don't have women, you can go with a lower tier hotel and not have to worry about it.

7. rooster42000

rooster42000 Goat of all Goats , My Hero

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Get a Cosmopolitan wraparound suite it has 2 baths and they are great,with 2 balconies

8. broncobilly

broncobilly Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    would be easier just to get seperate rooms. but then again how much time will you be staying in your room?

9. C0usineddie

C0usineddie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The top thing that will ruin the trip is too many guys in one room so that should be the priority.

Even a place like ballys or Monte Carlo would look like a palace to guys who have never been to vegas so no need in springing for an over the top place. You would be better off getting a moderate place with more beds.

I personally like a room to myself and its not an unreasonable request. They can afford it at vegas prices.

No need in booking too early, The deals dont come out until a couple months ahead of time so keeop that in mind.

About 2-3 montchs before the trip the hotel rooms will be about as low as they are going to be.

I have used travel sites and booked with the hotel, both work just fine but it never hurts to check the airline and hotel sites to compare before booking. many times you can get the same or better deal plus have the cancellation options available, especially when planning with others.

10. DBear

DBear VIP Bear

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'd also book 2 rooms using 2 credit cards (yours and theirs). Let's you off the hook and keeps the others committed. If there's any flight delays or anything, one group should still have a room. Oct is a long time away and anything can change. Have fun trip planning! That's half the fun!

11. Dice

Dice Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I think for the hassle of doing most of the legwork and booking (even though I quietly enjoy it!), I'd ask for the room by myself!

Yeah, after looking at several hotels, MGM seemed like the best for what I had in mind if I went that route. But, after discussion in this thread, I'm not sure I will be heading in that direction.

And the thing that's throwing me off is just our one friend coming for two nights in the middle of our trip. Otherwise, it's just the three of us.

HA! One guy actually does snore like a fiend, from past experience. Didn't think of that. Any other options besides Bally's? Flamingo? PH? Paris?

Are there two queens in the wraparound suite at Cosmo? I wonder how pricey it is. I'm going to have to research this a little bit. Thanks for the suggestion!

Yeah, I'm on your schedule. Thanks for the tip. Was probably looking at booking around June or July. I didn't even think about Monte Carlo as an option. It looks like I got some serious re-evaluating to do. Would Monte Carlo, NYNY, or MGM be the better option if I went this route? Or do you have any other places in mind?

That sounds like a pretty good idea to keep everyone on the hook and responsible, not that I have any doubts about them, but it's nice to have that reassurance.

Thanks for the advice so far guys. Please keep it coming. This is all a great help to me! I plan to be around these forums a bit from now on. Everyone is great and extremely helpful!

12. judy

judy High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    misc hints/thoughts

so many great tips and sounds like you have it figured out!

booking air separately can give you some wiggle room should the rates go down if you fly southwest. also the hotel deals can change quickly, i have found booking directly with the hotel is best. Don'f forget to figure in the 20-25 per night fees if you stay at any of the hotels that aren't Caesars.
    sometimes the package deals with air and hotel lock you in and it's hard to cancel part of it if you find a lower rate and they don't include fees sometimes.
    Sometimes the tax isn't included, read the fine print,ask questions.
    agree with staying at a Bally's or FlamingO with the guys (unless they are design snobs ). Enjoy and keep reading this MB for helpful posts and hints.:beer:

2024’s Second Trip
  13. Nittany1

Nittany1 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I agree with everyone that suggested 2 seperate rooms with 2 beds each.
    It will likely be less expensive than a suite and everyone gets a bed and bathrooms are not used by 4 people.
    Request adjoining or the same floor if you want.
    Make your stay more comfortable than guys sleeping on a couch or rollaway.

14. mike_m235

mike_m235 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    As far as options that are similar to ballys which you asked for -- I suggested that hotel based on it's location and reputation for decent price. I've never stayed at any of the others you mention, as I'm primarily an MLife guy. Monte Carlo is a decent south strip location at a good price, but not sure I'd go there if I was a single guy. NYNY can be good if you get a deal on rooms, but it can also go sky high and be way overpriced, depending on the weekend.

I'd look at your dates when you get closer and just start comparing rates. Go somewhere like Expedia to start...don't use it to book the rooms...but it will give you a decent feel all on what page of comparative costs.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.