1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Over 55 pro's and con's

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by Jerseyguy2, Jan 24, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jerseyguy

Jerseyguy MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    For you guys nearing retirement especially. I've lived in one for over 10 years so I guess I know a little on the subject.
    The pro's I have to say this is a nice somewhat upscale community with just about everything from a golf course to a beautiful clubhouse with just about every type of recreation and activitie going. Gated and people do try to look out for and help their friends and neighbors. We've met so many nice people here from all backgrounds and have found people from my hometown and a gentleman I served with in the navy. You can be as active and involved as you want to be or just be left alone .For singles or people who become widdows or widdowers theres a large active singles group .
    The cons To protect the integrity of the community theres a lot of regulations as far as what you plant or build.There are always going to be those people who want to know everybodys business and even though we have a wealth of talent here in all types of vocations theres always goiing to be those who think they know everything ,the people who dont care how much money we spend and those who want to do everything on the cheap.My wifes biggest problem lately is that we've lost a lot of very nice people in the last few years and it's depressing going to all these funerals.I could go on and on,but hpoefully this will provide a little insight .I'm not leaving anyway,overall I like it here.

2. Tammy58

Tammy58 Frugal Slot Jockey

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thank you for the insight. We have been considering a 55+ when the DH retires. We want out of Mass...taxes, cold, snow. We have been considering Vegas or Arizona. 8 years to retirement so we have been checking out areas on the computer.

3. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Funny, the local paper yesterday had a blurb about such a community that was being overrun by deer that are tearing up common areas and the golf courses, and the decision was to sterilize the herd. I knew instantly it was where my aunt lives in San Jose. (Psst, bullets are FAR cheaper.)

There is indeed an immense amount of upside to planned, age-restricted living. A number of family members and some friends have gone that route, whether the threshold was 45, 55 or some magical retirement number. And the communities are a far far cry -- or can be when properly designed and planned -- from some of the "senior ghettos" of my grandparent's generation. Thankfully. It's not for everybody, of course, but nothing is.

As for CCRs, they can exist anywhere. We're in a SFR development of about 60 homes with residents of all ages, and we have an association for the shared facilities. There are restrictions in place, and a board approval process for things like front landscaping or viewshed alterations that are visible from common lots (trails, etc.). It's not exactly onerous here but can be in some places. On the flip side, no idiot can decide to paint his house in electric purple, drives and streets do not become parking or sales lots for everyone's shit and individuals maintain their yards. Re-flipping, there's a certain homogeneity in look and style to exterior elevations.

4. Nevyn

Nevyn VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Not to mention venison is tasty.

5. nuggetboy

nuggetboy Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I find it way too dry. :rolleyes2:

6. Jerseyguy

Jerseyguy MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm on the edge of the pinelands

so we get a good amount of deer,the most they do is eat my shrubs once and a while and carry tics .The worst, most annoying creatures are the canada geese they really mess up the golf course. During the summer months the snakes are out crawling around ,Mrs. JG has had several encounters with them over the years. Since we got a liquor license and opened the bar, we've had a few light poles and mailboxes mysteriously knocked down ,probly deer.

7. Jimbo338

Jimbo338 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My brother and his wife moved into Sun City in Arizon several years ago. We grew up in CT, and after graduating from Univl of MD, he stayed in MD and eventually went to work at Univ. of MD til he retired and moved to Texas to be close to aging in-laws. Enroute to visiting with his son in Phoenix my brother and his wife stopped to stay over with friends at Sun City, AZ. He ended up buying a house there and says he never loved living anywhere more.Always plenty to do, desert landscaping (finally no trouble with his allergies), citrus, lots of good restaurants, thrift shops, golf courses, and hospitals and clinics so good they have a doctor waiting list for doctors trying to get in! I don't do heat well, but my bro hate the cold so it is a good fit for him.

Jimbo338

8. hammie

hammie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    There is a service that rids your property of Canadian geese, they use dogs to chase them away, after awhile, the geese get the message.

My Father in Law lives in an over 55 in Pennsylvania, many of his neighbors are snowbirds and go to Florida for a few months, it is kind of lonely in the winter. And, yes, several of his neighbors have passed away. The monthly homeowners association fee is kind of outrageous when combined with the property taxes for a ranch style home on a small lot.

9. Jerseyguy

Jerseyguy MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Hey Hammie

We have the dogs chasing the geese in season so they only come back in winter.
    As far the homeowners monthly goes,keep in mind that it covers 24 hr gate security,lawn cutting ,fertiizing ,disease control app.aerrrating and overseeding,snow removal ,use of a 38000 sqft.clubhouse which has excercise rooms,indoor and outdoor pools,jacuzzi,sauna, ballroom for 300, restaurant ,bar ,gamerooms,computers, billiards, libraryand golf shop.So if you join a health spa,hire a lawn service have your driveway plowed and join a pool its not a bad deal.
    My property taxes would be about 2k more than my taxes and monthly here where I moved from and I didnt get shit for it compared to what I get here.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 25, 2013
  10. Username

Username VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Your OVER cooking it.....I can prepare it and you will never know it's venison...as I have do this many times to my sister and one of my sister in-laws.

11. Username

Username VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    BTW.....been retired 10 years...well I will be in April..........and I would NEVER consider living in a community of any kind....no way am I going to PAY them so they can tell me what I can and cannot do.....need space, my man toys.....you know boat, 4 wheeler, etc........

12. Jerseyguy

Jerseyguy MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It's not for everybody

Some love it ,some want to leave,we have fenced in lot for rv's boats etc,we have two car garages , some guys keep custom hot rods ,golf carts ,small boats

13. LucyR.

LucyR. VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I live in a gated condo

It is 30 condos and we all know eachother and keep an eye on eachother.
    Our condos are located near everything we need.
    Some day I plan to move to a gated community for seniors.

14. shokhead

shokhead No big spender unless eating drinking having fun!

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Why would you do that?

15. BeeeJay

BeeeJay President of The Red Lobster Hostess Satisfaction

Trips to Las Vegas:
    anyone know of a good gated community that is males > 40 and females < 25?

Oh yeah that is Vegas, and the association fee is paid hourly rather than monthly. :wink2:

16. NickyDim

NickyDim Hockey is life

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I agree. Especially Nevada. Why not a single family home? There is no yard work to speak of if you have desert landscaping, no HOA, and no one to tell you what restrictions you have to live by. I didn't work 40 years to be under someone else's rules. My parents went that route and they were forced to buy a roof when told, not to paint a fence without approval. They even had to take down a carriage light outside their door because it was 'too nice' and made the neighbors complain. I'm way too independent to live like that. You want activity or social interaction, just go to the local community senior center, knights of columbus, Elks or the like.

17. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    So agree on the grass-free yard. We're not in Vegas, but we've just done our second "atypical" landscape.

As for various forms of ownership: different strokes. Same reason there are Chevys and Audis, Four Queens and Bellagios, Coors Light and good beer, etc.

While baby boomers in some large measure are avoiding the senior ghettoes of the previous gen, the formula still functions. We're also seeing more "smaller" Silver-Towns popping up; look at some of the newer Sun City projects that are housing developments with benefits, not full-blown communities.

18. DonD

DonD VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    They have a couple of them in Pahrump!

19. hammie

hammie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Sounds like a nice place, JG!

20. Jerseyguy

Jerseyguy MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It works for me,Hammie

We have 900 acres surrounded by woods so you dont feel at the least bit crowded in like the communities I see in Vegas with these concrete walls all around and between homes. The rules dont really keep me from doing anything I want to do, but, I like the idea that I dont have to worry about people junking up the place . Right now we contribute about 5 or 6 million bucks in property taxes annually to a town of about 6,ooo without putting one kid in the schools so thats a win for the town plus the amount of local tradesmen who do work here for people and the amount of charitable events we do for local causes and people in need ,make this a good place to live.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.