1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

cab from airport to downtown

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by angilynny, Oct 17, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. angilynny

angilynny Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I am would like some opinions on taking a cab from the airport Vs a shuttle. We have 4 people and I'm thinking a cab will be faster and about the same price. I have only taken a cab from the strip to the airport. I don't want to get screwed over on price and the route the driver takes. Same goes for the way back to the airport can say i have ever taken a shuttle back.

thoughts?experiences.

thanks

2. angilynny

angilynny Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    that was horrible typing. I can't say i have ever taken a shuttle back to the airport either

3. nostresshere

nostresshere Mr. Anti Debit Card

Trips to Las Vegas:
    First off, you can easily go back and edit a post after you find you typed mistake over the way other (joke)

Anyway, as to cab, it will be cheaper than shuttle. See the sticky above for prices.

4. Auggie

Auggie Dovahkiin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    For a group of four people the cost to take a taxi Downtown from the airport versus a shuttle is going to be very close to the same price... but the taxi will be quicker.

For the route it really doesn't matter too much: From the airport the cab will likely take the tunnel and go down the freeway, but if you ask for no tunnel the cab will just end up going down Paradise to Tropicana and then on to the freeway, probably adding 10 minutes to the trip just to save you a buck or two.

Even if you take a shuttle from the airport, on the way back I would take a taxi: the shuttle companies want to make sure they are in no way responsible/liable for you missing your flight and to that end they always schedule the return pick up hours in advance of your flight - so you could end up sitting at the airport three or possibly four hours before your flight unless you lie to them and give them a later time

5. angilynny

angilynny Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    thank you

6. char arts

char arts Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    cab vs shuttle

Have never taken a shuttle, but with 2 couples, splitting the bill will make it better to take the cab. I guess I would figure $15 a piece plus tip, but the great thing about being in Vegas is getting to the hotel and get started on FUN!
    Plus in the back of the cab are little books for free-about what is going on and shows, etc. Usually, the drivers are informative also.
    Take everything with a grain a salt from them, but we have picked up great hints on things to see and where to eat.
    The fun of going to Vegas is getting your own first hand experience. What is good for one may not be fun or great for you...
    Vegas is just a fun place ENJOY

7. Jimbo338

Jimbo338 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    In March I took a taxi from Gold Spike to the airport and cost was around $27. I told him to take Paradise, and at 4am there wasn't much traffic. If it had been later in the morning or eveinig I would have been fine taking a shuttle and have done so many times without a problm but I always leave plenty of time for getting through security. My preference alone would be the WAX. With 4 people, I think a taxi makes the most sense.

Jimbo338

8. runningonthehub

runningonthehub VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I always take a shuttle to and from the airport. Three weeks ago I was in Vegas and took a shuttle to the airport for my return flight.
    I had a 6am return flight. The shuttle picked me up at 4am and we were at the airport at 4:15am. I went through check in and security and they started boarding the plane at 0530am. It was about a one hour wait before boarding. That's fine because I do not want to have to rush to get to the airport. I like to be at the airport waiting for my flight rather than rushing through traffic and security.
    I have NEVER had a three or four hour wait at the airport after a shuttle ride.

9. gambler

gambler VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Cab from airport to 4 Queens, going through the tunnel (after I specifically told him not to tunnel us), was $40. That included a pretty good tip for the driver. I would have stiffed him the tip after tunnelling us but my hubby paid. He said he didn't want to start the trip on a sour note. I think it's about $28 plus tip if not going through the tunnel. I have no idea what the shuttle costs.

10. Royal Flusher

Royal Flusher Savvy Gambler

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Four people??? Downtown?

Don't screw around, book Presidential Limo, get roses and a shitty bottle of bubbly (including alcohol) and hit town in style!!! It's only a few dollars more than the worst taxi fare and about 100 times more comfy than the shuttle.

See you at the King's Bar!

11. topcard

topcard Here's to $10 3:2 two-deck, $5 Craps, and $5 UTH!

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Another Limo Vote

Ditto on the Limo suggestion... with 4 people, it's a bargain.

Whenever my buddy & I arrive at McCarran near the same time, we always split a limo to downtown... last time, it was $60 (which included a $10 tip), but he had cold beer in there & we each had one, so that was an unexpected bonus.

My last cab ride from the airport to DT was $40, including tip... so, in a twisted way, my buddy & I figure we save $10 each when we split a limo.

I have taken the shuttle to & from DT... let's just say that going back to airport is far better than the trip DT from the airport.

I arrange my pick-up about 2 hours before my departure time & I've never had a problem making my flight... but I will never again take a shuttle from the airport. Waaay too many stops en route.

Annual Spring Trip!
  12. RonDiaz

RonDiaz Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Oi I took a shuttle once and said never again then work made me take a shuttle once and oi never again with a shuttle.

What limo had beer for you...considering doing a limo/towncar this Janaury. And I like beer.

13. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    After my very first experience on the WestCliff Express (WAX) bus, I'd be tempted to suggest that for $2 ea, depending on your arrival time and the bus schedule. It runs once an hour if memory serves and only makes ~4-5 stops.

It took me only 31 minutes to get back downtown from the airport after dropping of a rental car. It drops you off at 4th and Carson. Plenty of room for luggage on the bus. Pay the $2 as you board and catch the bus at Level Zero at the airport, right near baggage claim.

But, I'd take a cab and tell him no tunnel and take Paradise to 4th St.

14. Candy Apple

Candy Apple VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We recommend the WAX, as well. No hassle and cheap!

15. catman

catman Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Zero level is one level below the baggage claim.

16. VegasSteven

VegasSteven Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks for the suggestion. Trying WAX on my next trip. Usually taxi it downtown and tell the driver to take Paradise (same thing on way back to airport). The fare always comes in somewhere between $20-$25 (before tip). But $2 sounds like a much better deal, especially if it's not a major hassle (which I think the shuttle is).

17. topcard

topcard Here's to $10 3:2 two-deck, $5 Craps, and $5 UTH!

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Don't recall... but the driver mentioned that they were left-over from the night before, so I don't think it's a regular thing...
    My advice? When the flight attendant is making her last rounds for drinks, order an extra beer & stash it in your carry-on or in your sports-jacket pocket.
    It should still be cold enough when you board the limo (or cab!).

Annual Spring Trip!
  18. angilynny

angilynny Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Any idea how much the limo is to get downtown?

The first time we ever went to Vegas we were all 24 yrs old and had no clue how to get around. We were standing around outside of baggage claim for a smoke and a limo driver came up to us and said he would take us to TI for $25 cause he had a pick up there.

It took us a few months to realize we got one hell of a deal I know now that driver pocketed our money. THe next time we went to Vegas we tried to get that deal again haha.

19. The Stig

The Stig VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    First time we went we ordered the shuttle, was only stopping at Desert Rose Resort, but being newbies we didn't know better and we were nearly the last drop even thought we were bottom end on the strip.

Second time stopping at the Desert Rose just gott a cab from the airport, last year there were five of us and we were stopping Downtown, we did it in style and got the limo with champagne, great way to start your stay in Vegas.

20. C0usineddie

C0usineddie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    take a cab.

You really wont get screwed even if he takes the tunnel because you are charged not only by mileage but also by waiting time.

it would be more effective to take the freeway the whole way assuming there is no traffic.

Ask for the tunnel to get it out of your system and see what all the fear is about.

if you like taking the city bus in your hometown then take that.

hows that? you would never take the bus in your town?

do you think its any different in vegas?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.