1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Canadian Airfare...hard to find a good deal!

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by DonnyC, Oct 4, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DonnyC

DonnyC VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My nearest Canadian airport is Winnipeg.

The first time I went to Vegas I was able to get a flight for $350 RT.

Since then the prices are harder to find a good deal. $450 RT (all taxes, excluding baggage fees) is now the best price that normally comes along. Occasionally less but $450 is the bench mark.

Airline options are: West Jet, Air Canada, United and Delta...not much eles.

And the fees in Canada are way higher!

Anyone know of any other ways to get cheaper airfare from YWG (Winnipeg)?

2. Nevyn

Nevyn VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Canadian flights will always be pricier, in large part due to taxes, but also due to less competition.

From Ontario, I drive to Detroit and fly from there instead of flying from Pearson (Toronto)

That may not be an option in Manitoba, I realize. I don't even know what your closest American airport with direct flights would be. Minneapolis? Probably not an option.

That leaves fishing for seat sales or last minute deals.

3. Hoowaa

Hoowaa Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Only direct flights are on WestJet, seat sales can yield $410-450, but seat sales are not on now. That and the itinerary from West Jet's Thursday-Sunday is horrible (arrive @ 11PM, and leave @ midnight on Sunday).

The alternative are the milk runs via Denver or Minneapolis or Chicago but those almost always have a multi-hour layovers.

When no seat sale is on, I just drive the 2 hours to Grand Forks and fly direct to Vegas on Allegiant. I've done it three times the past year. Cheapest was $280 round trip, most expensive was $395. The arrival time on Thursdays departure is early afternoon which I like the best.

Cheers.

4. redace

redace Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If you don't mind driving a bit, fly from Grand Forks, ND. Allegiant air has direct flights flying out of there, and with your dollar being strong here that will help for travel expenses...just gotta watch the fees they charge.

5. btodd

btodd High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Agreed. We usually use Airmiles but when we don't, we fly out of Grand Forks, especially in seasons when weather is not a concern ( not today!!!)

6. Royal Flusher

Royal Flusher Savvy Gambler

Trips to Las Vegas:
    What difference does it make, you're gonna be snowed in from now until next June by the look of it.

j/k

It may cheer you to know that the feds are looking at all the ridiculous fees we pay. Apparently 5 million CA passengers flew out of the states in the last year, guess why. 40% of the ticket price in Canada is fees.

It drives me crazy.

7. vegasqc

vegasqc VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Got a decent rate on air canada a month ago for december round trip from quebec city 433$ checked it today and the same flight was over 600$

8. wennykilson

wennykilson Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Allegiant Air

Grand Forks, Fargo, and Minot are all worth taking a look at. I flew Minot last time for just over $250 per person incl. hotel.

The hotel was Circus Circus, so they may have actually paid me a small fee to stay there, mind you.

:thumbsup:

9. LolaDoggie

LolaDoggie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've never seen anything close to acceptable from my nearest airport. And Westjet flies there directly a couple times a week. We drive to Detroit. I have driven to Lansing Michigan when they had a cheapo airline flying to Vegas. Buffalo is about the same distance and I keep an eye on there as well. The price difference is usually double. That and I really don't like Pearson.

10. Username

Username VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Don't know exactly where you live but Buffalo (SWA) has 2 NON-STOP flights going to Vegas and returning almost everyday....that's what we do...only 5 hours to get to Vegas and only 4 hours to get back..

11. Nevyn

Nevyn VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I usually price out Buffalo as well as Detroit (similar drive), but Detroit has always won thus far.

No direct SWA flights, but some from Delta and Spirit. My return flight cost me $260 US, and that included my bag fees (1 checked, no carry on)

12. DonnyC

DonnyC VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I usually travel to Vegas May, this year maybe August (over the long weekend), which is why I look for flights WAY in advance (when purchasing)!

I like to leave Wednesday and Come home Monday - Alliegant doesn't usually cater to that schedule at that time of year.

13. MoneyToBurn

MoneyToBurn Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Price wise, I think you're kind of hooped. I live in Ottawa, and my daughter lives in Winnipeg, and I've paid less for a ticket for myself to fly to Vegas through Winnipeg, pick her up, and return myself to Ottawa, than I've paid for her r/t. It must come down to traffic, although I find that for some reason Ottawa to Vegas return has been cheaper than from Montreal or Toronto for the past year.

Thing is, you're paying maybe $120 or so in taxes and fees you wouldn't pay ex-US. What is nicer, being able to carry on that cheese nip at Jim Richardson, or drive to Fargo to pay $25 for a carryon? Westjet has some pretty nice non stop returns Thursday and Friday nights.

To address the original question, sure, allegiant will be cheaper if you have no baggage and want to drive a couple of hours each way, and I did one time see a cheap fare that was Westjet to Kelowna then on to Vegas that saved maybe $20, but took a good part of the day. My advice, though, is pay a few extra dollars for relaxed, direct flights. This is a holiday, after all, and if you are from outside of Winnipeg, maybe you can work in a stop at Metro Meats for a kubasa on the way home.

Sorry if this wasn't what you wanted to hear.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.