1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

WAX from airport to dt. Never again!

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by Motorhead, Sep 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Motorhead

Motorhead Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    -- Decided on my recent trip to give the WAX bus a try. Plane landed at 3:15pm, Wednesday, and I had only carry-on. Got down to the WAX pickup area at about 3:37, missed the supposed WAX bus that was schedule for 3:33 (or thereabouts). Waited for the 4:05 (or thereabouts). Nothing. An older couple was waiting for the WAX too. The husband asked every bus that arrived if they knew when the WAX was coming. 4:15 - nothing. 4:30 - nothing. 4:35 is supposed to be next WAX bus. The guy goes inside and gets the number for RTC Southern Nevada and calls them. Appears he is on hold. 4:45 WAX finally shows up, driver claims not to know what is going on.

-- The bus, when it arrived was nice and cool inside, the ride for $2 was less than 25 minutes to downtown - traffic near the Strip was horrible too. But waiting over one full hour without knowing when (or if) a bus would ever show up just isn't worth it to start my Vegas vacation.
    -- Many people brought their bulky luggage on board and the driver didn't stop anyone -- I know some have said they don't allow luggage on board.

Just my .02 on the WAX.

2. dmr

dmr Registered Abuser

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yeah, things like this is why people take the shuttles and limos and taxis. :)

3. C0usineddie

C0usineddie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You know i hate to say it but i told you so.

4. smartone

smartone VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've bit my tongue on this subject outta respect for some very good board-members who love the LV bus system, but I would NEVER... EVER... be patient enough to use public transportation (bus) to start off a Las Vegas trip. I respect the value of $$ as much as the next guy, but I would've died had I been in your shoes.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2012
  5. merlin

merlin MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Well, I just took it both ways last week and it went great, 30 min each way with no problems. Please show us anyone who ever said they dont take luggage, everyone has always said that luggage is welcome(it's an airport pickup, everyone is gonna have luggage).

Each way for me was maybe a third full with a mix of airport workers and tourists(the tourists all had luggage), the fact you missed the pickup by a few min. is hardly anyone's fault but your own, most of the time the WAX routes are 1 hour apart, although at rush hour I know they are a half hour apart for an hour or so.

You could have hopped on the 108 or 109 and got there sooner if you didn't want to wait, one of those cruises by every 10 min or so, on a wed the wax is scheduled at 3:32, 4:03, and 4:38, it looks like the middle one might not have come, although perhaps you missed it while you were bitching to each other?

6. numeno

numeno VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:

I've never taken it, but isn't this basically an airport shuttle? You can take luggage on the Duece. Why would they not allow it on a bus takes you from or to an airport?

While I don't think I will ever take it, I do know if I choose to try it, I doubt I would sit there for even 25 minutes for the next one. At that point you are looking at ~50-60 minutes minumum before you get to your hotel. That isn't the way to start off any vacation to me, let alone one in Vegas. If I got there 5 minutes before a pickup though, a 30-35 minute ride might not be too bad especially if I'm heading downtown and saved $40 on a cab.

7. Dewey089

Dewey089 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Well, we all have different comfort levels, different paces, different lengths of a visit.
    We don't have to agree. We simply need to share information and perspective so those of us just learning the transportation options can make an educated judgement.
    I am one of the biggest bus enthusuasts on this board, and I like giving folks that option and helping with the confusion and sorting out the differences between buses, shuttles, cabs, and limos.

Thanks for the report. If WAX bus delays are going to be common, we need to put that in the mix.

However, sometimes the buses break down or have a medical emergency. I have had that happen on other routes when I was waiting. So it is not as reliable as a shuttle, although I imagine if a shuttle rider were to need medical care, that too would delay your trip. This is the first such delay I have read about on the WAX route. If others have this problem, post it. Most riders have seen the buses come on schedule. My Vegas trips are more often delayed by airplane issues than bus issues. Car renters may often find delays as well if lines are long or cars are not available.

Do expect to see luggage on the WAX because as Merlin said, it is built to carry luggage and people from the airport along its route. All buses in Vegas now allow luggage. The WAX is the easiest bus to take with luggage.
    Of course, the shuttle is better for folks who want a driver to handle their bags, but I like to handle my own so the computer and the expensive sleep apnea machine I pack inside my suitcase once I get to baggage are not banged about with other folks' bags thrown on top by some hurried fellow who is annoyed at the weight and who I must tip for mishandling my luggage.

Posted at the bus stop is the bus schedule. You can expect to wait an hour on weekends and about half an hour on weekdays. It is good to go with the schedule printed and in your pocket as well. Then you can decide as you get your luggage if you want to wait.
    http://www.rtcsouthernnevada.com/wp-content/themes/rtc/pdf/12/westcliff(05-20-12).pdf

The WAX trip itself is so fast that I don't much like the 108 or 109 routes which require a transfer at the BTC to get downtown. I'd rather sit in the open air and read if I have just missed one WAX. I've added up the time it takes for the other routes to get me downtown, and on the 108 and 109 I just spend about the same amount of time, but it is on the stop and start bus.

Note that Motorhead could not anticipate how long he would wait because he expected buses that just did not show up.

And certainly the bus is not the vehicle for those folks who are going for a few hurried days to Vegas and have to make every minute count. The few dollars they might save when compared to a taxi cannot compare to what I save compared to a taxi.

Much of the bus talk here on the boards is from seniors, who get that WAX ride for a dollar and who, over the course of many days in Vegas save a good bit of money. I get a 30 day pass for my 23 day trips for just $30 ( going up to $32.50 next month) and ride anywhere I like. At my stage of life I have much more time than money, whereas many of you have much more money than time. If I get a few more minutes with my novel or journal at a bus stop, it is not a deal breaker. I like having that extra hundred dollars to use at the poker table and i like that once I've spent the money on the pass, no trip costs me anything so I am at ease in my planning and not counting transportation costs into every move.

That being said, there are times when I would take a pay shuttle. Last tirip I found the 109 to SSTT and the SDX to Paris much too crowded for my huge 85 pound bag.

http://vegasonthebus.blogspot.com/2012/06/i-rarely-advise-against-bus-travel-but.html

If I start a trip at Imperial Palace again, I'll either go 108 to 202 or take a paid shuttle. I used to take a paid shuttle to the Orleans rather than 108 to Tropicana and 201, but now that the WAX drops me at NYNY, I can get the 201 easily from there. Often, however, there is a bit of a wait for the 201. I don't mind it. It is a pleasant place to sit and look at Excalibur and passing people.

With 23 days to be in Vegas and a comfortable bankroll of just $1000, an excuse not to gamble for a while is good money management for me.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2012
  8. dfalk

dfalk VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I couldn't agree more!!

9. Candy Apple

Candy Apple VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Our experience with the Wax last month was good and we would do it again. We only waited five minutes and it was right on time. Less than ten people got on at the airport and there was plenty of room for luggage. The driver was nice and helpful. A half hour later we were downtown for $4.00. A cab would have cost $30.00 and wouldn't have been much faster.

10. Turtleman

Turtleman VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Obviously, different folks have had vastly different experience. I've ridden the WAX between the airport, downtown, and Suncoast many times with zero problems! The longest I've ever had to wait beyond the posted schedule was maybe 5 minutes and it's usually less than one minute. Of course you can take luggage – it's expected on a bus that includes the airport.

In almost all instances, I've found the WAX much faster than shuttles, and for $1 (with the old fart pass), it can't be beat. Shuttles (and buses) occasionally break down and have other delays. All-in-all, I consider the WAX one of the best improvements in years!

11. gongoman

gongoman MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've never had a problem..Love the wax..I got tired of non speaking english cabbies that wear to much brut

:beer:

Thanks dewey your posts are always so informative:beer:

12. chef

chef Resident Buffetologist

After getting off a plane, I don't mind sitting at the bus stop soaking up some of the beautiful Vegas weather, while waiting for a bus to arrive. I'm from a small town and enjoy taking in the hustle and bustle of ground zero level.
    If the WAX is going to be 40-50 minutes out, I'll jump on a 108 or 109 instead. Buses to DT have alwasy been faster than shuttles for me.

13. Dewey089

Dewey089 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:

And maybe it just needs to be restated that folks coming at this issue (or any issue) from a different perspective, should not bite their tongue over worry about disrespecting those of us who are always talking passionately about the value of buses when they have alternative perspective and argument. I never want you to bite your tongue Smartone. I put a link to this thread on my bus blog. If all sides of an issue are presented, then we all learn how to make what can be tough transportation decisions.

And I certainly agree with and support the choices I quoted here.
    Why, I might be cool enough to wait through a long bus delay with my novel as companion, but were both you guys waiting at the stop with me, it would unsettle my trip to have to step over two dead bodies once the delayed bus finally arrived.

In the old days, you could not take luggage on the Deuce. Now you can. The worst that might happen is a driver might ask you to wait for the bus coming along behind. Christine at BTC said that if any driver actually told any rider that luggage was not allowed on the Deuce, he needed to be reported so he could be "reeducated." She told me this while she was looking at my largest-suitcase-allowed on planes, the one that weighs 85 pounds with my carryone pieces packed inside. Multiple bags that require more that one trip to load are discouraged on strip buses, but with the suitcase I generally have something strapped on my back as well.
    That being said, going South from the SSTT when I have my huge luggage is uncomfortable. I don't like my huge suitcase in a standing room only bus if I have to exit from Paris to Venetia or if the driver needs to ask folks to move back and no one is willing to move.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2012
  14. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If they ever stop sending the limo for us, I'd consider it.

My 3 senior brothers & 1 SIL swear by it. A buck to get downtown. Too good a deal to pass up.

15. catman

catman Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I also have had very good experiences with the LV buses. I can't remember a time that a bus was more than 5 minutes late...most are on time.

If you go out to the website, I have figured out when buses are stopping and where(go to google maps for a visual as to where bus stops are located). There is a learning curve I admit in using the website, however once this is overcome the website for bus routes is easy.

I started riding buses 2-3 years ago in LV, and I find them a big improvement over taxis ( especially the express bus routes).

16. Dewey089

Dewey089 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Keep in mind that many of the schedules will change on October 1. Also, if you have old links to routes and schedules, they upgraded the website and none of the old links work. Now you go to the main page

http://www.rtcsouthernnevada.com/

Chose the "transit ride with us" letters and click.

There in the "plan your ride" boxed section (which is a really useful search to find the routes to those out of the way restaurants in reviews) the one line at the top brings up all the routes.

During the last change in rates and schedules they were a few days updating this, so if you are going to Vegas at the end of the month, on the cusp of the change, just be aware that things are changing. If I read the route changes correctly, there will be more 202 buses and that makes me celebrate since my new strip is Flamingo Blvd. However, the new schedules have not been posted.

17. Someone

Someone High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I like your style Dewey.....very diplomatic :nworthy:

18. mjames1229

mjames1229 # of visits includes only trips w/ hotel stays

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Too diplomatic. This is the internet. Venom is expected.

USBC Nationals are back in Vegas
  19. Reston

Reston VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    One of the funniest things I've read in a long time!

20. bigdogmom

bigdogmom VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Different strokes for different folks.

I've never taken the WAX but did take another bus from the airport to downtown once (Maryland Pkwy. - 109?). I like seeing the "other side" of Vegas from time to time; it puts my life in perspective.

Also took an RTC bus out to Sam's Town once. It was summer, hot, and the A/C wasn't working well. THAT was an experience I'd rather not repeat. ;)

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.