1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Penn & Teller

Discussion in 'Shows & Entertainment' started by DReynolds86, Aug 13, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DReynolds86

DReynolds86 Let's Go Pens!

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Does anyone here have some honest opinions on this show? I'm thinking of taking my girlfriend to the show when we go to Vegas in either April or June. How "preachy" is the show? I tend to "think" the same way as they do (libertarianism) and would probably like it, but I want to go see an entertaining magic show first and foremost. Thoughts?

2. Boosty16

Boosty16 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have read a lot of Penn and Teller reviews on this board and a majority of them are good. However, the wife and I saw this show last year with hopes of a good show. To me, it seemed that they were just "walking" through the show. Maybe because they have already done it about 10,000 times. It just seemed like they wanted to hurry through the show to get it over. After the show, the wife agreed with me. The effort put forth by Penn was the worst...and he does all the talking! Maybe I just caught them on a bad day! Sucks for us!

3. thecarve

thecarve Misanthrope

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I enjoyed the show quite a bit – and I’m not a show guy at all.

“Preachy”? I don’t think so. Yes, their Libertarian values do come through a bit. But it certainly isn’t being shoved down your throat. Nor does it take the focus away from the entertainment. And really, the only things they really hit on are things that I don’t think could offend too many people. “Freedom and Constitution = Good” “Oppression = Bad” Nothing controversial at all.

4. GREGRIO

GREGRIO VIP Whale

Ya know...Penn is Penn. His preaching is only to add to the
    next gag they're doing, he doesn't go on 'n on with unrelated
    crap. I think the Show is lots of fun...seen it MANY times over
    the years...I'D GO!...both of you.
    I suggest the VIP seats down front. I think a lot of the Show's
    'personality' is lost when you sit further back.

5. zina

zina Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Truth be told - I was there on Saturday, 8/4. Perhaps a bit of jet lag, but I slept through half of the show! I was disappointed. Glad I used the Travelzoo deal and didn't pay full price.

6. Travel Fanatic

Travel Fanatic The Arbiter of Taste Caviar Kid

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I agree with Gregrio. I saw them several years ago and any preachiness is well tied into the show, so it doesn;t seem awkward or boring. Not sure if they still dot his, but one thing I really appreciated about the show is that they stand in the hallway as you leave so you can meet and talk with them. I enjoyed it

The plans have changed
    Post-Shopping Recovery Period
  7. john meriman

john meriman merri by name merry by nature

Trips to Las Vegas:
    all talk

if they stick to what they can do well-magic and illusions it would be an excellent show but they rabbit on and on (preaching and bullshiting) about topics that had absolutely no interest to my wife and i. the magic portions of the show-about 10% were good but all of the rest was boring. it may be that being irish i had no interest in the topics being aired.:wink2::beer::grrr:

8. GREGRIO

GREGRIO VIP Whale

Penn & Teller aren't for everyone. You either like 'em or ya don't.
    The illusions they do are fun...Penn will even explain some but if
    you're looking for a FLASH! BOOM! Las Vegas magic Show...
    choose another Show. If you enjoy their type of attitude, the
    Show is quite entertaining and YES...there's still a meet 'n greet
    after the Show out in the lobby...talk to Teller/he talks back, lol.

9. DReynolds86

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I sent a Tweet to both of them saying how much I was looking forward to the show once I returned home from the desert and I received a Tweet back from Penn thanking me for my service. That in itself pretty much seals the deal for me right there. I'm a big fan of BS! and due to these reviews I think we're definitely going to check them out. Thanks.

10. Username

Username VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Seen them August 2010.........son bought us tickets and I went with the mind set that I didn't care to see a magic act.......but I was completely surprised......worth every sent my son spent...LOL.....they really did a GREAT job of keeping your interest......I highly recommend them to everyone with a sense of humour.........go, relax and watch their show....you will ENJOY IT.......Trust ME...LOL :)

11. Travel Fanatic

Travel Fanatic The Arbiter of Taste Caviar Kid

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yes, talking to Teller afterwards was one of the most fun parts to me.

The plans have changed
    Post-Shopping Recovery Period
  12. Mango68

Mango68 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We saw them on Aug 6th, 2012. We really enjoyed them and were still talking about some of their "tricks" the next day. We sat up front and found them very engaging. Yes, Penn is opinionated. That's half the attraction for some. Google him and if you don't agree or don't like his point of view, don't go. But, overall, they are not overbearing in their beliefs and seem to honestly want to put on an entertaining show.

13. DReynolds86

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My plan now is to pick up two old Rio chips and take a marker and have them autograph the chips after the show. One for Penn and one for Teller. What are the odds that they'll accomodate autographs?

14. thespiritoftruth

thespiritoftruth Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I had them sign my voters registration card (since we share similar political viewpoints). That was enough to get a good chuckle out of both of them and spark a fun conversation. I don't see why the Rio chip would be out of the question for them.
    As far as their show goes, I've seen them 3 times, and hopefully will have the opportunity to see them again when I go out there in November and December. Out of the 3 shows I've seen in the past 18 months, none of them have been the same, always something a little different. Worth the time and money IMO, and even more so if you can get them comped or get them from Tixs for tonight, etc. types of places.

15. zamboni

zamboni VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Its weird to think how far back these guys go, but haven't really changed in all those years. They were in RUN D.M.C.'s "It's Tricky" video, I think that came out in 1986 or 87 at very latest.

16. martay

martay Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The odds are about 99.9% that they will accommodate autographs after your show. They always spend time after the show talking to attendees and signing autographs. The only exception is if they are sick. Just be sure to bring something that can write legibly on a chip.

As for the quality of the show, I've seen them twice in the past few years. The first show was better than the second, but they both were very good. It is easy to get second or third row tickets if you book in advance.

I didn't find the show overly preachy, but then again, I've been a big Penn & Teller fan for years.

17. oghuman

oghuman VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've seen the show only once. I liked the act but... I felt like some football games I watch. I just wish to have a little silence once in a while. Penn basically never stops talking. I didn't feel like he was preaching, but I was tired of him by the end of the show.

18. DReynolds86

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm planning on taking two Rio chips with their faces on them (I'm a chip collector) and a Sharpie and asking them to autograph one apiece. I'm also planning on taking my Libertarian Party card. maybe that'll spark a nice conversation.

19. matguy

matguy High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    They've commented (well, Penn more than Teller) multiple times that meeting the audience after the show is their favorite part. They're pretty open about stuff, well, probably other than how some of their tricks are done. We asked them about a semi cliff-hanger that they never answered on one of their BS shows, told us all about it, it was great.

20. bardolator

bardolator Lifelong Low Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Teller autographed a fishbowl for us. If you've seen the show, you know about the fishbowl. I doubt they give a damn about your political views or what you want signed, and you don't even need to attend the show to get an autograph. Just show up in the hallway outside the theater an hour and a half after the show starts and you'll be first in line. Penn hangs out on the left as you face the doors; Teller on the right.

Last year when we attended, Penn was soft pedaling the politics. He's probably a bit louder this year.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.