1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Toll Roads?

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by dana0069, Jul 15, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dana0069

dana0069 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Hi People,
    I'm going to be renting a car, and leaving from Disneyland going to Vegas, will I encounter any toll roads between Disneyland and Las Vegas?
    Thanks guys,
    Dana0069

2. MisterJJ

MisterJJ Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Only if you get VERY lost.

3. C0usineddie

C0usineddie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    There are few in southern cal but you shouldnt need to drive on them. They have signs too so you will know and have a choice to avoid them.

4. merlin

merlin MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    No, any other questions?

5. Bruinfan1

Bruinfan1 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Ummm...how about the 91 folks?

If looking at a map or using GPS, you will likely choose the 91 (or Riverside) Freeway to connect to I-15. The 91 has regular lanes, and Express lanes.
    • If there are three or more people in your rental, the Express lanes are free.*
    • If you have one or two in your vehicle, the regular lanes are free.
    • If you have one or two in your vehicle, the Express lanes have a toll.
    *Except 4 PM - 6 PM weekdays, only eastbound.

As you're probably aware, your rental car company may tack on an extra fee in order to collect the toll. And I think you need a transponder to use the Express lanes, even though it may be free w/ 3+. So you'd have to ask the rental company for one...again, fee may apply.

It is very very hard to end up in the 91 Express lanes accidentally, especially because there's only one entrance for the entire 10 mile stretch. (Last time I drove it.) If you are in the HOV lane on the 91, just move one lane left when you see the 1/2 mile warning sign for the start of the Express lanes. (There's like six overhead signs for the Express Lanes before you actually enter.)

But if you're super-worried, just take the 57 up to the 60, I-10, or I-210 - there are no possibilities of tolls there.

6. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    57-210-15

7. nostresshere

nostresshere Mr. Anti Debit Card

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Keno winning numbers!

8. ardee

ardee It's only money.

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Exactly. Why in the world would anyone travel on the 91 if they didn't have to, and from Disneyland to Vegas you don't.

9. MisterJJ

MisterJJ Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
  10. ardee

ardee It's only money.

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Time of day will matter, but the 60 tends to be heavy no matter what. The 210, OTOH, flies even when heavy.

11. DonD

DonD VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
  12. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    +1

The 10 sucks, too, and let's not even go to the 91 -- even with the time savings you get on the toll portion -- and then the cf that is the 215 through San Bankrupdino.

But as noted by several, traffic can eff up anywhere in SoCal at any time. A nav or phone app with traffic is an LA basin necessity.

13. Bruinfan1

Bruinfan1 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    As you Southlanders know, 57 is either great...or a disaster. I avoid the 57 unless I know it's clear. I'm a KNX guy, mostly because I'm usually in too much of a hurry to check online. 91 regular lanes should be fine until...2? 2:30? For someone driving up to Vegas, I doubt they'd be leaving much later than that - hotel check-out is noon at the latest right?

Google Maps has a nice feature - when you select Traffic, you can choose the date and time for historical averages. It does not tell you anything about what happens when there's a traffic tie-up.

Since when has the 60 eastbound been a tie-up in Ontario before 3 PM? I know about the 60/215 mess (presumably construction has finally come to an end?), and of course anything west of Atlantic, but the rest used to be fine. Not so much anymore?

14. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    57-210-15

(And who designed that cf where the 57 and 60 cross?!)

15. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    No question the 57 can be a nightmare. But once you get past the crossover in Diamond Bar, it's a quick shot up to the Foothill, which is by some order of magnitude THE w-e/e-w freeway of choice in the basin.

The 91/215 is a longer nightmare, and between Norco and the twin exchanges in Ontario the 15 can be a parking lot, though it's likely preferable to doing Riverside and Berdoo.

16. Username

Username VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    DisneyLAND SUCKS.....go to DisneyWORLD then to Vegas.....:)

17. dana0069

dana0069 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Hi Guys,
    Thanks for all the reply's, however I am from Canada and do not know my way around, therefore I will be using a GPS system to get me there, I have no idea what path the GPS will put me on, if the 91 happens to be the fastest route, then the GPS will go that route. Is the 91 the fastest route?
    Dana0069

18. Karl Pilkington

Karl Pilkington Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    No, it is not. The GPS will likely tell you to go 57-60-15 on which there are no tolls.

19. ardee

ardee It's only money.

Trips to Las Vegas:
    GPS might think so, but then GPS is an idiot.

Assuming you are leaving Disneyland by the main entrance on Harbor: Turn right (South). Get in the left lane and turn left on Katella. Take Katella east, under the 5 freeway about 1.5 miles until you get to the 57. Take the 57 North. It will for a short way join the 60 East. Make sure you stay on the 57 North when they diverge again. The 57 ends at the 210. Take the 210 East to the 15 North. Transition to the 15 North, set the cruise control, and 3.5 hours later you're in Vegas.

20. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Can anyone read a map anymore?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.