1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Thomas Kinkade Gallery Proofs

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by NickPapageorgio, Jun 21, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NickPapageorgio

NickPapageorgio OG of the Sal Sagev Hotel

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Anyone on here a collector? I am the proud owner of 4 Gallery Proofs and they have appreciated since April. I am overly impressed with the appreciation of some of the Renaissance and Publishers Proof Kinkades. I probably should have dropped the extra coin initially (hindsight being 20/20), but it is an expensive hobby.

I wanted to get the opinions of other Kinkade G/P collectors on here as to what route you have gone and why. Thank you in advance!

Nick:beer:

2. NickPapageorgio

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Nobody?

3. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Not remotely in our aesthetic wheelhouse.

By later in his life, how much "Kinkade" stuff was actually done by Kinkade?

4. shifter

shifter Degenerate Gambler

Trips to Las Vegas:
    gallery/artist/printer/publisher proofs are not really any more valuable than any other painting in a limited edition. they used to be the impressions that the artist made first testing out and making sure everything was good, but these days most everything is computerized, so they aren't necessary. now they're really just a way to sell more paintings without increasing the edition size and thereby decreasing the scarcity. they can have an edition size of 500, but make another 50 proofs of different kinds and they just made an extra 10%.

as far as Kinkade, i find all his paintings pretty much the same and very boring. but that's just a matter of taste.

5. NickPapageorgio

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Not much. The Studio Proof editions are canvas prints to which Kinkade added a layer of overlay. Most are in the 6k- 12k range, and are highly collectible.

I'm not talking orgininals by any means.... original Kinkades are big money.

6. NickPapageorgio

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Agreed on many levels... i'm not a huge Kinkade fan either, but his Christmas works are astounding. As far as the stone cottage by the babbling brook that seems to be in every other Kinkade work, i'm not a fan.

As far as the number of "limited" edition proofs on the open market, there are far too many editions, and ultimately too many prints, but Kinkade is highly collectable.... as far as raw numbers, #1 all time.... Also one of the few artists, with prints that are appreciating in value.

My big thing is that I don't want to continue to collect the bronze and wish that I sprang for the silver or gold. It all comes down to money, but I can cut corners in other areas for artwork. The absolute worst source of info can be found at a Kinkade gallery.... they are brainwashed, which is understandable, but aggrivating.

7. azhockeyfan

azhockeyfan Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    In my opinion, Kinkade is a massive ripoff. Way overvalued and overpriced.

Not an investment at all. I had 2 studio proofs and as soon as I walked out of the store, value dropped 75%.

They are beautiful paintings if you can drop the cash, but not worth it at all.

8. NickPapageorgio

Trips to Las Vegas:
    How? I'll give you 75% off of retail on ANY Kinkade canvas prints. Hell, i'll give you 75% of retail. You need to explain this story.

9. Chuck2009x

Chuck2009x VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Don't you think you should sell them into any spike?

Are they going to stop making Kinkades just because Kinkade is dead?

10. NickPapageorgio

Trips to Las Vegas:
    No, but obviously his double signed canvas works are finished. Kinkade art will sell in all likelihood, for eternity, but limited release autographed proofs are the valuable pieces.

11. Tahoejoe2

Tahoejoe2 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Here is my question. Where do you sell them? I have two. Moonlit Village and Christmas Eve 1991. Very old. Kinkade book says $5,000 and $2.400, but who's buying?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.