1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Where do I want to live?

Discussion in 'Living in Sin (City that is)' started by Grid, Jun 19, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Grid

Grid Well-Known Member

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've been kicking around the idea of a move. I know North Las Vegas is supposed to be bad, but what about Henderson? Or Summerlin? Where are the safe areas around Las Vegas for a middle aged couple? I know real estate is cheap out there, would $150K do me for a single family home in a safe area?

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 19, 2012
  2. LucyR.

LucyR. VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Las Vegas

If I was to move to Vegas I would check out the Del Webb Active Senior
    community in Vegas and also other Senior communities.

You say you are both middle aged. As you get older it will be more fun to
    own a house or condo in a gated senior community. It's like living in a
    resort with lots of activities.

I heard Henderson is a very nice place to live at because it is so clean
    and looks like a happy place. I know someone that owns three houses
    in Henderson, and she rents them out.

When I decide to move to a new area I plan to first rent with no lease
    so I can be free to buy a home when I see a great deal and know where
    I want to live at.

I have a friend who lives in Ohio and is presently renting a condo in Calif.
    He likes the senior gated community..... so he bought a really nice condo
    for $225,000. At the time he bought his condo there were plenty of affordable places to buy.

I met a man on the airplane to Vegas and he has been buying lots of houses in Vegas as an investment. I read in the news that Vegas has lots of houses on sale. So now is the time to buy in Vegas.

You need to start searching on-line first and then contact a real estate person to show you the houses for sale.
    I would choose a Gated Senior community place to buy.
    You must go visit Henderson to see if you like it. Lucy

3. suecasey

suecasey Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    North Las Vegas is NOT bad. There are many areas that have much lower crime rates than Henderson. Try zip codes 89084 and 89085. You'll find some beautiful homes in quiet neighborhoods -- senior communities or not -- and in your price range.

4. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Gotta agree with Sue. NLV way up in the sticks where she lives is new, tidy, buttoned down. It ain't like the core of NLV which is a hole. There are plenty of crappy parts in Henderson, too, though Henderson has some of the area's best-planned developments, as well. There aren't a helluva lot of blanket "this good, this bad" statements to be had.

When we thought we might want to move to Vegas, we settled on Lake Las Vegas or Summerlin. With the market I'd avoid the former. As for Summerlin, Summerlin is huge; it's effectively a city. Immense range of products, prices and the like out there. As with any moving decision, take a lot of time simply driving and walking around, checking out various 'hoods, finding local services and judging if those public facilities/restaurants/shops/etc. are what you want and need, if the location is conducive to how you want to live.

A thought on the senior community, and this is a demographic statement followed by my PERSONAL perspective; many will disagree with the latter: Boomers aren't retiring en masse like their parents'/grandparents' generations, the Sun City Retirees. Sun Cities still are popular all over the west, but you no longer will see Sun Cities on the scale of the two progenitors outside Phoenix (we'll ignore the rather failed test case south of Perris, CA). New Sun Cities are far smaller, with far fewer units. The amenities remain but they aren't offered in diversity and depth as when Sun Cities truly existed as service-providing cities in everything but name.

Many boomers are turning away from the ghetto effect of retirement living, choosing instead to remain in or move to mixed-age, mixed-use, more "normal" communities; as we look ahead, that's our thought ... no thanks. The formula remains popular -- look at the continued success of Trilogy and Sun City developments -- even if tweaked; they are communities now, often within larger towns/cities as opposed to being the town/city (think Green Valley, AZ, for this latter/older formula type). But many are choosing against the elderly ghetto (ghetto is an age cohort, not a $$$-value statement or judgment).

We have friends and family members who are glad they chose to live age-restricted, some who chose against it, some who opted for it and got out. As in everything else, YMWV... as it will with the basic concept of living in Vegas.

5. Grid

Grid Well-Known Member

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Great tips gang! Thanx so much. And when I say middle aged I mean 35 years old. Not young (in our 20's) and not exactly seniors. But middle age :evillaugh

6. shifter

shifter Degenerate Gambler

Trips to Las Vegas:
    lol, 35 middle aged. that makes anyone over 50 a senior citizen.

7. HoyaHeel

HoyaHeel Grammar Police & Admin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    78 is US total life expectancy (male & female, all races). 39 is half that, so...... (younger for men, older for women, based on gender discrepancies in life expectancy:evillaugh)

8. Grid

Grid Well-Known Member

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Well arent they? :wink2: HoyaHeel has my back :kiss:

9. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Subtract the first 18 "nonproductive years," use Hoya's number less that 18, and you get 30 as middle-aged!!

10. Nevyn

Nevyn VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Gotta say, I'm mid-thirties and feeling pretty damn old recently. Middle aged might be a slight reach, but doesn't sound ridiculous.

11. Nevyn

Nevyn VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You kinda did that wrong.

To get halfway through productive years, you subtract 18 from 78 (60), halve it (30) and then add 18 to the 30 (48).

Otherwise you get 12 "productive years" before, and 48 after. Of course, this assumes no years at the end are unproductive.

12. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My math and I'm sticking with it! lol You should see what I do to the written language. I tell all my editors it is my duty to assist in the growth and evolution of the language and to do so in their fine publications.

13. Nevyn

Nevyn VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    What's your handicap? -10?

Oh, and tell your editors you are only looking out for their job security. If it was flawless, they wouldn't really be needed.

14. LucyR.

LucyR. VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I am laughing because....

When Grid said he was middle aged I thought he was in his 50"s and qualified for the Senior Living communities.LOL,LOL.

I have a friend who just bought a home in Laguna Woods Senior Community
    real cheap. She loves it there. It is 5 min. from the beach. Beautiful location.
    But... I can't move there because I am a desert rat who loves Vegas and
    Palm Springs. I plan to move to Palm Springs someday.

I am hi-jacking this thread by saying I love the RTC Bus system in Vegas.
    I am tired of driving..... It is fun taking the bus in Vegas. Someday I plan
    to ride the RTC Bus all over Vegas just for fun. Lucy

15. shiny

shiny Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    That sounds like a good way of seeing and learning all sorts of neighborhood --- effective housing hunting strategy? :cheers:

16. LucyR.

LucyR. VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Buses

I have taken the local buses in Victoria BC, Vancouver, Nanimo, Canada, London, Paris, Hawaii, Mexico, and other places. I save lots of money.lol. Plus, I totally enjoy the bus rides.

Hi Shiny, Lucy

17. AliGee

AliGee Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yes, Lucy I thought the same thing! 35???? Still practically a kid! Apart from cracking me up, this thread really does have some good info, keep it coming (and the smarta$$ comments, too).:evillaugh

18. 3cats

3cats High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    There are many nice pockets in all parts of Las Vegas. I have just spent the past week showing homes in NLV and we found some really nice ones in communities I would not be afraid to live in.
    Finding a home in the $150,000 range is easy enough if your other criteria isn't too fussy. finding a 2 story in that price range is easy easy easy. Finding a single story in good shape, in a nice neighborhood in that price range will be a challenge.

Many people come here and rent for about 6 months a completely furnished home/unit while they look for a new home. Then when they find one, close, and have a real address they move their belongings out of a storage place where-ever. It might take 1-2 months to find a place to purchase, then another month to close a traditional sale. It can take up to 9 months to close a short sale.

19. zamboni

zamboni VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Have you thought about Pahrump??? Look up houses/real estate there. Personally I liked the town, and they are practically giving houses away. A short jaunt to Vegas (45-60 minutes)

20. vegasbound

vegasbound VIP Whale

You'll really have to experience the neighborhoods yourself and weigh what's important to you. I've lived in Spring Valley nearly a decade. Summerlin and Green Valley are most desirable, but they were never appealing to us. We like convenience of getting in and out of our neighborhood easily and when it came to buying a home we didn't want to deal with strict HOA's or additional taxes. We have no kids so parks and all that weren't priority.

We live outside South Summerlin with direct access to 215. Gas stations, restaurants and shopping are around the corner. It is very convenient. We are seven miles from the strip/work. We do have an HOA ($12/mo), but they are pretty lenient and they mainly keep the neighborhood tidy. All of which is important to us.

Friends tend to live near us or in Centennial Hills. CH is newer and very affordable. You can really stretch your dollar, but being further from the strip is the trade off. Some don't mind it a bit, but I wouldn't want the commute.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.