1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

The $20 Trick thread

Discussion in 'LV Strip Hotels' started by Sonya, Jun 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kewidogg

kewidogg Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It's very easy to pull off. I'm not sure why people get nervous, especially when you are doing this, IN VEGAS! It's a gamble, I don't see this as any more scary than putting down money at a blackjack table.

It always depends where you are staying, what their capacity is, what room you currently have, what events are going on (conventions, etc), who is working the desk that day, what mood they are in, size of your tip, etc.

2. Synapse

Synapse Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Have a reservation a Ballys due to different deals and promos that appears as two back to back reservations. One is South Tower, during the week one is North Tower on the weekend. I'm curious for input if folks think I'll have problems with getting the two implemented as a single four day stay in the North Tower. Thoughts?

3. dmr

dmr Registered Abuser

Trips to Las Vegas:
    LOL, I would LOVE to listen in to some of the conversations in the employee lunch rooms when the desk agents talk about the customers who try to pull the $20 trick. :)

4. VegasDragon

VegasDragon Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    That is an upgrade to me as they are pretty strict about charging for the frigde. I ask for one every time.

To the poster asking about what to ask for at THEhotel.
    At THEhotel you could ask for a Vsuite but I prefer a strip view as the Vsuite is just a little bigger and the view is worth more to me. Be back there tomorrow as a matter of fact!:cheers:

Yeah Vegas!
    Trip with my sweetie/suitee!!!
  5. kewidogg

kewidogg Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Gonna try the $20 trick? :wink :wink

6. dmr

dmr Registered Abuser

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm sure it's a frequent topic at staff meetings as well.

This is almost a hold-over from the Bad Old Days when the Mob Ran Vegas<tm> where you could bribe your way to the best seats in the showroom by "greasing the penguins" as my late aunt used to call it. :)

7. zoey11

zoey11 Mid roller and Vegas fanatic

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Glad this site was made and has helped so many people! It does work most of the time, if it didn't, there wouldn't be so many sites dedicated to sharing our experiences and getting more for what we spend in Vegas!!! Keep up your posts and looking forward to hearing more experiences to help each other with ideas. Good luck everyone!

8. NoDak

NoDak Newbie

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm heading to Vegas the week of the 20th and staying at Planet Holywood, good chance of getting an upgrade?

9. zoey11

zoey11 Mid roller and Vegas fanatic

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have not stayed there, some others on here have commented on this hotel though.
    My daughter went last year and they were upgraded from the cheapest room to a mini suite with a view of strip, much larger and quite a bit more money, for five nights x the difference you would pay online, is a big savings. She tipped 20 and probably saved at least 200, so she was thrilled!

10. Sam in Ut

Sam in Ut High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    NoDak, I'll be there a day ahead of you for that week. You can bet (no pun intended) I'll do the "trick" in hopes for a Resort room cuz I need 2 beds. Already got the HH room comped so I'm going to try a $50 for the upgrade. Good luck, and if you hear alot of screaming, It'll be me on the Let it Ride tables ....lol

11. jgates8

jgates8 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It never hurts you to try. They will hopefully be upfront with you & tell you if there is nothing they can do for you due to occupancy levels.

Most of the time I don't even bother as I always book a room type that I know I will at least be content with.

Easter again..:
  12. NoDak

NoDak Newbie

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Sounds great, post on here the result, although I'll try it anyway!

13. brownies95

brownies95 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks Kewidogg! Maybe we will get lucky and get a Go Room, but we would be happy with a strip view room (we are not hard to please)! We had one last year at PHo and loved it!

Tim:peace:

14. chuckM

chuckM Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I just checked into Aria a few hours ago with 3 comp'd nites in one of their "Innovative" rooms. I asked if they had anything with a good view ($20 under the credit card) and I get a complimentary Strip View upgrade. I'm happy...I get a room upgrade for 20 bucks on a free room.

15. Vegasnewb

Vegasnewb Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Staying at Bally's in July

I'm staying at Bally's in July. I have 5 nights comp'ed (sunday through thursday) which I assume will be standard rooms (dont know which tower). I need two beds, going to try the $20 tip and hope to get upgraded to a suite. What should I say at Bally's?

16. gnarboots11

gnarboots11 Newbie

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I tried to do it with a 5er cause it's all I had and it didn't work.

17. kewidogg

kewidogg Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    $20 is generally regarded as a "minimum" now a days :)

18. DReynolds86

DReynolds86 Let's Go Pens!

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Got shot down at PHo.

19. Troy

Troy Newbie

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks Jukie!

We get in on a Tuesday and arrive at 9:30am, so I am hoping that works in our favor. Ill give it a try and let you know. Either way, I think it will be fun to try. Thanks for the info though.

20. LilyJDragonfly

LilyJDragonfly Degenerate

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Fourteen nights? A hard sell at any tip! You may get offered to upgrade for a price per night and charged to your credit card.... however, perhaps someone else on here has gotten an upgrade for that many nights, but I'd say doubtful just because of how long you're staying...

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.