1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Peter Luger Steakhouse in Caesar’s Palace

Discussion in 'Restaurants & Buffets' started by Christina6001, Jan 10, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Christina6001

Christina6001 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Wow! Wow! x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. dmr

dmr Registered Abuser

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This was what I was curious about for the Las Vegas branch.

At the original, you don't order a porterhouse or a NY Sirloin, but you simply order "steak for one", "steak for two", etc.

I quit recommending PL to midwesterners because they tended to be taken aback at how the steaks were listed on the menu, prepared and served.

I also assume that this is not really open yet, but is intended to be "by the end of the year", Covid and other excuses permitting, of course.

3. texascane

texascane High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    What does this mean for the old homestead?

• Like Like x 2
  4. dmr

dmr Registered Abuser

Trips to Las Vegas:
    {flip ... SLAP!} Who knows? We did not do OH this year, having settled on Primarily Prime Rib for the big holiday pig-out.

IMAO, the market (post-pandemic, of course) could indeed support two higher-end steak places, but I'm obviously not a CET beancounter.

Also, IMAO, they are probably gonna adjust their opening plans depending on how the pandemic winds down, or fails to do so.

5. Jsmile898

Jsmile898 Addition By Subtraction and Better Off

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I wasn't too impressed with my last visit to homestead. Can't wait to see what this steakhouse has to offer.

• Love Love x 1
  6. dmr

dmr Registered Abuser

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Actually, on my last visit to the LV OH, December of 2019, I had what was the most delicious steak I can ever remember, the Rib Cap. It was a smaller cut, but exceptional! It was also my observation on that trip that they had cut the size of (most of) their sides. They were still ample, about enough to satisfy two, but not the ginormous sizes they once were.

7. NotFromConcentrate

NotFromConcentrate It’s a Cassowary :)

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I wonder if they'll take credit cards/room charges/comps for payment :)

The reason I say this is because the one in Brooklyn, to my knowledge, has always been cash-only (perhaps cheques too, though that's off my millennial radar, lol)... which, embarrassingly, discouraged me from going there on one of my NYC trips as at the time I could only have afforded such a meal if I put it on a credit card.

I obviously ask that question in jest, as I can only imagine they'd lose out big by keeping such a policy in a setting like Caesars Palace. But then again, think of all the money CET would make from the $9.99 ATM withdrawal fees for guests who haven't got any cash left over :eek: (plus, you know, a few hundred more for gambling since you're at the ATM anyhow :) haha).

Though I've always wanted to have a steak there, I think I'll wait for the next time I'm in or near Brooklyn to visit the original first. Either way I'll be keen to hear the reviews of this place once it opens!

Jul 17 to ??? - Amtrak from Chicago to AZ... Laughlin, Vegas & More!
  8. dmr

dmr Registered Abuser

Trips to Las Vegas:
    In 2019 (or was it 2018? mighta been, not 100% sure) they (original location) were accepting DEBIT (but not credit) cards. Those of us who went expected cash only and had it on hand.

I'm sure that the branch at Caesars will accept all cards.

I'm also curious if prime rib will be a standard feature of their menu. IIRC, it's for things like specials only at the original location but a regular menu item at the one out on the Island.

• Informative Informative x 1
  9. NotFromConcentrate

NotFromConcentrate It’s a Cassowary :)

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My inner cynic firmly believes that most steakhouse sides are purposely NOT filling to encourage you to order more "just in case", with those sides being especially high-margin compared to the entree itself. This thought came about as I was wondering what the deal was behind lobster mac and cheese, as I've never had one I actually liked... and I can't help but wonder that you'd have a hard time selling mac and cheese for $25, but if you add a few bits of lobster it feels a bit more reasonable... :hmmm:

Personally I prefer steakhouses that don't do a-la-carte for this very reason.

Jul 17 to ??? - Amtrak from Chicago to AZ... Laughlin, Vegas & More!
  10. 44inarow

44inarow VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I think it depends on how you define "market" -- if you mean the general vicinity, absolutely, but I have to think that two facially-similar steakhouses within steps of each other within the same vicinity wouldn't work. Even the Starbucks at the corner of Starbucks and Starbucks at Astor Place in NYC went away.
    Ha, yeah, 100% sure they'll have to take cards and room charges. No way it would work otherwise. Although to be fair, the originals in Brooklyn and Long Island do sort of take credit cards... it's just their store-specific card. I do believe they take personal checks and debit cards now, too.

11. Christina6001

Christina6001 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I ate at homestead twice this last trip and was surprised it was good (one with awful service and one with good service). I can usually tell from pictures that people post if food will be good or not and am usually right so this surprised me. Maybe it’s cuz I went in expecting crappy food lol. Homestead to me seems like a casual place whereas Peter Luger would be more high end, but what do I know lol

12. Jsmile898

Jsmile898 Addition By Subtraction and Better Off

Trips to Las Vegas:
    OK I'm going to have to try them out again. Perhaps I experienced an off night.

• Like Like x 1
  13. justaguy

justaguy Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Peter Luger is my hands down favorite restaurant in the world - and I do like eating, so I know a lot of places. I am very excited they are coming to Vegas and really hope they can keep their standard - I always wanted to go to the Great Neck location, but so far only ventured to the Williamsburg one.

I was also less than impressed the only time I was at Old Homestead a couple of years ago. I don’t know if it was just the day I were there, because I really like their NYC restaurant.

• Like Like x 1
  14. dmr

dmr Registered Abuser

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Actually, the tie-breaker this year (Old Homestead vs. Primarily Prime Rib) was that PPR included salad and side with the meals.

The ambiance of the LV Old Homestead is TOTALLY different from the one in Manhattan.

I expect a similar contrast when PL opens up at Caesars.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Beebs17

Beebs17 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    As a frequent visitor to PL in Brooklyn and Great Neck, I can guarantee you that this will be a cheap imitation and won’t be nearly the same as the originals. But, even a cheap (Well, not in price at least) version will still be very good. This is the same as Rao’s in Harlem vs. the old one in CP. When you’ve been the real one, the CP one is an absolute joke and not even remotely close to the same. I expected to see the kitchen at CP just opening up jars of Rao’s sauce. PL will be the same thing, it won’t be able to live up to the same standards as the originals.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  16. oghuman

oghuman VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I live in NYC and been to both NY restaurants though not recently. The steaks at Peter Luger were fine, decent but nothing special that I couldn’t get at any other good steak restaurant. The but the waiter didn’t impress me more like a diner nor the furniture either.

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. petevegas

petevegas Stick with me baby, I'm the fella you came in with

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The Palm is still in the Forum shops also. So three NY transplant steakhouses ....Interesting. I am not a fan of Peter Luger's, albeit the Brooklyn one is better than the Great Neck location (been to both). IMHO, Luger's is living on it's reputation and the quality is not as good as it once was and there are other NYC steakhouses I prefer. I also think It will do well in Vegas.

18. mjames1229

mjames1229 # of visits includes only trips w/ hotel stays

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Been to the Brooklyn location once. My wife and I took a trip over the July 4 weekend which included watching the Macy's fireworks from a boat on the Hudson River.

upload_2022-1-11_16-36-31.png

I think the sky was red because it was on fire...

upload_2022-1-11_16-39-20.png

We picked the wrong week for a vacation. So on July 6 was our day to take a walking tour of the Financial District, then we headed over to Brooklyn and to Peter Luger's (including the three block walk from the J stop). My wife and I were smelly, sopping messes who effectively bathed in their bathroom.

But I had made it!

upload_2022-1-11_16-42-58.png

That nice, long story said (did I ever mention that I like stories?)... I can't remember much of anything about the meal other than being surprised that our steak had been pre-cut for us with instructions to continue cooking it on the plate if we wanted it more done.

I will, however, make sure I get to the new Luger's in Caesars Palace and compare it unfavorably to the original (just like everyone else will).

USBC Nationals are back in Vegas
    • Like Like x 1
  19. PsyDoc

PsyDoc High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    That's great news indeed....!

I absolutely agree. I am so glad that CP will soon have another high-end steak house. On a busy night, people sometimes wait very long lines in order to dine at the Old Homestead. it's good that they now have a good alternative.

20. Brooklyn B

Brooklyn B Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    PL in both NY locations only accept cash, US checks with ID, debit card and the Peter Luger card (think that might be invite only, not sure though). My guess is that the LV location will accept credit cards, but who knows.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.