1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Tournament Poker Hand - Help my play

Discussion in 'The Poker Room' started by KnowItAll, Nov 28, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KnowItAll

KnowItAll VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    So I recently participated in the WSOP Circuit in Cherokee NC. Those of you consider yourself good poker players please help me evaluate my play on a certain hand.

Setup
    1st place is over $100k, 10th is about $10k
    3 Flights 5% of each flight advances to day 2 or end of level 19 (30 min blinds)
    Flights A & B had about ~600+ entrants each and put a total of 62 into day 2 play
    Flight C (mine) has 1225 entrants and 62 will advance to day 2

Setup for hand in question
    About 10 mins left in level 18, 80 players remain. Avg stack is ~230k. Blinds are 5k/10k/10k BB ante
    I have about $350k and I am in small blind, BB has about $150k. Action folds around to cutoff who raises to $25k (he is chip leader at table with about $500k). Button Folds.

I look down and see AcJc what should I do?

After some responses I will continue with what I did.

Thanks

2. thegov2k2

thegov2k2 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Ultimately it depends on what kind of player the raiser is. With that said, I'm probably folding. You're ahead of the average stack and AJ suited is good but not great.

3. puttputtfc

puttputtfc High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    What kind of player is BB in this situation? Are they trying to fold into the money or are they trying to build up their chips?
    Is your goal to make the money or win the tournament?
    How well do you play post flop?
    Has the raiser been a bully, luck box, etc?
    Will your table break soon?

4. KnowItAll

KnowItAll VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    BB was recently moved to Table so no real feel.
    Goal is to win and have already made money as that break was at 184 (15% of field)
    Post flop for me is where I need the most work on my game
    Raiser only been at table for maybe 2 levels and has been bullying the player to his left/my right
    My table will not break (most likely) until day 2 restart and I have been in the same seat all day.

5. puttputtfc

puttputtfc High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    With this info, I can't tell you the right way to play this hand. I can tell you the worst option is to call. Are you comfortable moving all your chips in? Raise and put others to the test. Fold if you aren't ready. Being stuck with a teasing flop out of position does not play to your strengths.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Stillsober

Stillsober Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Raise to 95K. Bully opens light and BB has to fold unless he has a monster. You have good card removal, and could fold if bully jammed over you and still have 25.5 BB
    If SB jams, you have to call 55K to win ~350K. Sickest would be that SB calls and Bully jams. Then fold.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Adam

Adam Creepy Vegas Friend

Trips to Las Vegas:
    3-bet > fold > call.

I would make it 80k, call jam from BB and fold to 4-bet from CO.

8. raisingoo

raisingoo Medium-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You have a healthy stack, and though there is a pre-flop raise, the raise isn't outrageous.

You have a suited ace, AJ clubs. Not a premium ace, but still a decent ace.

Call the pre-flop raise. Pay to see the flop.

With AJ suited, a flush and a straight (broadway) are both possible using both hole cards. So is a pair of aces, etc.

9. SprintGravy

SprintGravy Gravy Train Conductor

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I’m raising to 75k depending on how I’ve been presenting myself at the table. The chip leader is just trying to steal in my opinion. Call the BB all in.

10. lawfive

lawfive Moo

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I don't call here only because it opens up the range for BB to push (rather than to narrow).

If you raise to 75k or something close to that, BB would likely only be left with 2 options (push or fold) and if they push, you can decide if you want in if/when cutoff pushes.

If I was BB and you called, I'd push my whole 150K stack in with: almost any pair, most aces and perhaps some high suited kings. I like that spot against the cutoff raise and am willing to guess your call is weak so a push gets some dead money in the pot and if i have any coinflip or even if i'm only 40%, I like that spot at 150K so I'd widen my push range there with your call.

11. KnowItAll

KnowItAll VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks so far.

So I took the worst option and flat called. BB also just called. I had been pretty tight at the table and below avg stack all day until very recently.

Pot is 85k

So the flop comes AdKh8s. I am first to act. What should I do? Again I will follow with the action that happened.

• Like Like x 1
  12. raisingoo

raisingoo Medium-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    OK, so you have top pair (aces) with a decent kicker (J), on a rainbow flop. Decent. Not awesome, but still decent.

Being first to act, I would min bet and see if anyone folds.

Min bet is 10K chips, correct?

13. puttputtfc

puttputtfc High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Are you comfortable with your kicker? I would lead strong with a 60-80K bet. You should get your answer here.

14. raisingoo

raisingoo Medium-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm going to change my answer (**) from "min bet" to "continuation bet" (probably for the better) to 30K. Your stack can absorb it if you need to fold your cards at a later time, given there is a possibility of a raise/re-raise, and of course the turn card and the river.

While I don't know what is REALLY going to happen, maybe this will be for the best (?). Heehee, we will see.

Liking the thread so far. Good job!

---

(**) I, of course, am able to change my mind regarding any decision I have made in the past, due to my possession of a Delorean with the flux capacitor with adequate plututomium supply and the ability to drive it 88 miles per hour, generating 1.21 gigawatts of energy, to go within any point in the future or past plus/minus {whatever delta minutes I decide} to change any decision or action in the past I have made. :)

15. MangoPort

MangoPort High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    $85k pot so far with you (SB), BB (about 125k behind) and CO (big stack).

I think you need to check here for pot control. If BB hits any part of this he/she's check shoving, and if you're ahead of the big stack you'll want to get paid on a few continuation bets.

Check.

16. MangoPort

MangoPort High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If you bet $80k are you folding to a BB shove or a big stack raise? Do you lead again with a harmless turn if you're called?

17. KnowItAll

KnowItAll VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    So like someone said I like the flop but wish it had 2 clubs at least.

So I check, the BB checks (so I feel he is real weak and if I re-raised pre-flop he would have folded) and CO bets $60k into the $85k pot

So now what action should I take?

18. azlefty

azlefty VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have no idea but the suspense is brutal. @KnowItAll you are a zen master. If you can slow play this thread, you must be unbeatable at the table.

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
  19. puttputtfc

puttputtfc High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    That's why I asked how comfortable he is with his kicker. I figure a bet this size would make BB move all in or fold and I call that all in. It also takes the continuation bet away from the bully and most bullies back down when pressured. If CO is a solid player, he will realize that big stacks don't want to fight at this point. A re-raise will give you the answer you want. A call from CO sounds very out of character.

I see your point about pot control but I think giving a free card here would be more dangerous. A-J certainly isn't a lock but good enough to mine for info and possibly take the pot right there.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. azlefty

azlefty VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    ok fine, I'll bite. My guess is that you already know the following:

You appear to have the best cards at the moment.
    I basically agree with your assessment of the big blind.
    I suspect the chip leader didn't see anyone betting before the flop and was going for the blinds and is now saving face or wants to look consistent and maybe has a lower pair.

If I were feeling risk averse and wanted to end it and make sure I survive to the next payout bump, I'd push all in, expecting everyone else to fold.
    If I wanted to maximize this pot in hopes of getting more of the leader's chips, I'd call and then go all in after a later card.

I guess I view an all in play here as more conservative than a call. Can that be right?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.