1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

What is the greatest fast food item of all time?

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by Basil, Oct 25, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 44inarow

44inarow VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    PHRASING.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Love Love x 1
  2. Jimgotkp

Jimgotkp High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    In the US, In-N-Out's Double Double for sure! Outside the US, pad kra pao gai in Thailand.

3. runningonthehub

runningonthehub VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:

4. topcard

topcard Here's to $10 3:2 two-deck, $5 Craps, and $5 UTH!

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The Jack near my work...I sometimes go in to order when the drive-thru line is too long - more than once, while I've been inside, guys have come to the counter and ordered 10, 20, even 30 of those tacos - to go!
    Bet you just loved customers like that back in the day! :rolleyes:;) :beer:

Annual Spring Trip!
  5. Mrazzo

Mrazzo Prince of Pai Gow

Trips to Las Vegas:
    In no order:
    White Castle sliders
    Arbys smoked brisket
    Nathans hotdog and crinkle fries (with cheese)
    Wendys Double Baconator
    In-N-Out Double double

Honerable mention - Panda Express Orange Chicken

6. greekjim

greekjim King Gyro

Trips to Las Vegas:
    McGriddle with bacon
    Chick-fil-A chicken strips with bbq sauce and honey mustard
    Taco Bell chili cheese burrito

7. MCann

MCann I can't complain, but sometimes I still do...

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Besides White Castle?!? I have to go with a tie between the limited-time-only Wendy's pretzel bacon burger, and the Choco-Taco they used to sell at Taco Bell when I worked there.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Mrazzo

Mrazzo Prince of Pai Gow

Trips to Las Vegas:
    That Pretzel bacon burger was GREAT
    I still get the choco-taco from my local grocery store sometimes. When the shell is crispy they are great, sometimes tho that shell is chewy...

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. dmr

dmr Registered Abuser

Trips to Las Vegas:
    They had one singular location left when I first moved to Omaha. Closed shortly after. :( It was very good, but one of the worst names (Chubbyville) I can think of for a restaurant. Not as bad as "Ground Cow", however.

• Funny Funny x 1
  10. Ten_On_The_End

Ten_On_The_End VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The only Arthur Treachers left in the USA is in Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio near Akron. Not a good enough reason to go there but if you're passing through which is doubtful. Article here

• Informative Informative x 1
  11. AlwaysUpForFun

AlwaysUpForFun VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:

Oddly enough I do go through there once or twice a year on our way to Pennsylvania. Hmmm…. I’ll definitely give it a thought to stop the next time we head that way.

12. LV_Bound

LV_Bound VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    1. NYC dirty water dog
    2. White Castle (from up North. Not the same in the South)
    3. DQ chocolate milkshake

13. Valgal

Valgal VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We have a restaurant in town called Hilda's. Hilda is a true immigrant success story. Rumor has it she started off in housekeeping for one of the local hoteliers here. Later became his wife - divorced took her stake and started a small take out restaurant. When she first opened there was no seating inside. A few picnic tables out side. No AC inside just a walk up counter. She truly started out as a fast food Taco stand -- Hilda's Tortilla Factory. Best known for her breakfast burritos. Over the years it has grown. Gone through a complete tear down and building brick and mortar building - full restaurant, bar and huge menu. Added on plus bought a building next door for events such as wedding with catering etc. When the pandemic hit she immediately adapted and made a drive through that they still have open. Mornings are very brisk at Hilda's. She absolutely has the best bean and cheese burrito I have ever had. Everyone in town agrees it's the best. It's no puny taco either. A meal on it's own. She also has the best Migas I have ever tasted -- It is what I get when I go for breakfast and a Bean and Cheese Burrito to go. Now I'm hungry.

Side story - a couple of years ago a woman fairly well known in town because of her husband, got on a facebook fight with the son's owner on the restaurant facebook page. She was complaining about the Tortilla soup taste and how she was treated...on and on etc. It made for good fodder on a slow night at the hospital as several nurses were gathered around their phones snickering and comparing notes. Enjoying the tit for tat. It was hilarious. Needless to say publicly trashing a hometown food hero did not get the response she expected. In the end the public facebook post announcement was made Congratulations, you are the first person banned for life from Hilda's.

For those who don't live in small towns I'll add on to the story of the woman banned for life. One of my friend's said -- well you know her certainly you heard what happened at St Mary's Carnival. St Mary's being the local catholic church. Biggest church in town. -- I'm not catholic so I was not privy to the story before. There was food, drink, beer wine etc. at one of their annual shindigs. Apparently someone had a little too much to drink and took a face plant for the crowd. While she was passed out and down her short skirt rode up. She was going commando and pictures were taken and passed around town. I'm sure that's why mom said always wear clean underwear. I have a couple of good friends who know all the gossip in town. I am kept well informed. You big city people don't know what you are missing. Sure you have your thousands of restaurants, stores open 24/7. We have this.

You read all this to the conclusion that Hilda's Bean and Cheese Burrito is numero uno.

@topcard you have no idea how I hate those JIB tacos to this day. I would go home covered in grease from head to toe. It was the #1 seller at lunch time to all the working guys in trucks. They all had to order at least a dozen. Sorry bastards.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2021
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Love Love x 1
  14. Valgal

Valgal VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks -- now I want a DQ reeses cup blizzard or M & M blizzard - :feedme:

15. dmr

dmr Registered Abuser

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Culver's chocolate malted. Dynamite! Two weeks worth of carbs and calories in one easy serving!

• Funny Funny x 1
  16. 3OfDiamonds

3OfDiamonds Waiting For “Very Good” Video Poker @ Rio…

Trips to Las Vegas:
    - Jack in the Box tacos (sorry @Valgal :oops:;)) and mini churros
    - Popeye’s Spicy Tenders
    - Rally’s fries (although Popeye’s are close and similar, at least when fresh :)) and fried apple pies… if only their entrees were better :hmmm:
    - Long John Silver’s Hushpuppies (and the Krumbs! Oooooh straight-up trans fats :licklips::love::haha:)
    - DQ Blizzards (a go-to is a custom blend of vanilla with caramel syrup, Snickers, and either Butterfinger or Heath :feedme:)

If mall/airport food is included, then Cinnabon and Auntie Anne’s are up there too :cool:

Last edited: Nov 1, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  17. donfairplay

donfairplay VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I like that Hilda's story. :D I love those darn JITB tacos.

We have a lot of chains here but restaurants that get listed in the LA Times top 100 are often in a plaza next to the 99 Cents Only Store. A hole in the wall by LA standards is actually quite good, they have to post letter grades for cleanliness on the doors. You get the world's cuisine within a 5 mile radius.

The restaurant industry is even the area's biggest employer, by number of employees, and employs nearly 5 times as many people than in film/tv/cinema and music recording. 2019 data

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  18. 44inarow

44inarow VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    As soon as you get off the Strip, Vegas is like that as well. There are amazing bars and restaurants that are in crappy-looking strip malls (see, e.g., Herbs & Rye, which you'd never notice driving past it, but has received awards like "Best American High-Volume Cocktail Bar"). And on a related note, the town where my parents live in New York has almost no chains whatsoever; there's a Domino's, a Starbucks, a Dunkin' Donuts, and a Burger King, and that's about it. Everything else is local, or at least regional. Even the Burger King is owned by a pair of long-time town residents that do an unbelievable job giving back to the community.

19. Valgal

Valgal VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Fellow Texans— back in the 70s—First Mate seafood- had killer fish sandwiches and fries. Shakeys Pizza?? Guess they still have Shakeys in California.

20. smartone

smartone VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    That’s cool to know… when I was a kid in the late 60’s early 70’s, my family used to eat at the Arthur Treacher’s on Waterloo Rd. in south Akron.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.