1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

E-mail from Southwest Airlines

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by Aces and Eights, Oct 21, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aces and Eights

Aces and Eights VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This morning I got an alert on my iPhone that my flight from Sacramento to Los Angeles is coming up in a half-hour. My calendar shows the confirmation number as the same as a future Vegas flight that I have. I logged in to my Southwest account and saw that my future Southwest flight to Vegas under that confirmation number is intact, and I have no reservation from Sacramento to Los Angeles.

Then, I get an e-mail from Southwest that I cancelled my round-trip flight between Oakland and San Diego. I never made that reservation, and it shows a Rapid Reward number that is not mine, but it shows my name as the passenger. It also shows the flight date as February in 2018 along with the return date a few days later in the same year.

I checked my credit card account online to make sure that I have no unauthorized transactions. The e-mail that I got, also states that they credited my account for $46. My Southwest account shows that I have a $46 credit that expires in May of 2022.

This has me puzzled. If anyone can enlighten me as to what is going on, it would ease my mind.

• Wow! Wow! x 2
  2. 44inarow

44inarow VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Glad to see they're expanding the scope of their incompetence. I would call them with the documents in front of you, and then play the game of speaking with front-line CS who's just walking through a script, and then getting it escalated to someone who knows what they're doing.

• Funny Funny x 3
  3. xsPr1v3x

xsPr1v3x Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    No but good luck getting anyone on the phone. I've been trying to email to clear up an overcharge and it's been 3 weeks no replies

4. Maxbet

Maxbet JACKPOT!

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I did receive a middle of the night email from SW. Just that might flight # had changed for my LV trip in February. Not really relevant to your situation, just odd that I also rec'd an email. :blink:

5. Geddy3

Geddy3 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Are you 100% certain the emails came from Southwest? This sounds like a classic phishing email where they make everything look good but if you click on the links it takes you to bad places. I'd definitely call them and see but would not click on any of the links in the email.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Informative Informative x 1
  6. Mr Bulldops

Mr Bulldops VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've noticed a huge uptick in these very well spoofed emails recently. They will plug targeted info based on your location, etc and include your name knowing that a certain amount of people will just give them the information without giving it a second thought. Not saying for sure that's what is happening here, but...

really makes me think that it's a possibility.

7. 44inarow

44inarow VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'd normally agree, but at big companies like that, most emails go through some sort of automated system. Even if your email doesn't get lost in the ether, it'll be reviewed by a system that'll scan for keywords and try to give you something responsive, which is never helpful. Phone is generally the way to go in these situations.
    Agreed, never click on links that you're not expecting. That said, the fact that they had a correct confirmation number in there makes me think it's a glitch in the matrix, rather than a phishing scam, since I can't think of a way they could get that without getting into his Southwest and/or email account, at which point phishing becomes a bit moot.

8. rhinoman7

rhinoman7 A Diamond in the Ruff

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I would agree with this. Just look at the actual e-mail address of the sender, and you may find out that it is not actually from SW. That is the best way to determine if an e-mail is legit or not.

9. Aces and Eights

Trips to Las Vegas:
    When I hover over the address, the last two e-mails that I got were from, [email protected]. When I made reservations in the past, their confirmation e-mail was from, [email protected].

One e-mail that I received from Southwest this morning, prior to the e-mail I got saying my San Diego/Oakland reservation was cancelled, was a repeat e-mail I received from them 10 days ago about a Vegas flight I reserved. Again the only difference is the small difference in the e-mail address I mention above. All the content in the repeat e-mail was exactly the same as the one sent 10 days ago. I think both e-mail addresses from Southwest are legitimate.

10. Farner

Farner High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Aces: this could be a phishing scam. If you clicked on any of the links, you should try getting someone to look at your system. You would be at super high risk of being compromised. This happens a lot and the worst is to ignore it and hope all will be well. Keep a close eye out on your credit etc and good luck! I noticed that they can fake almost everything, but the one thing the spammers can’t seem to fake if the southwest logo in the e-mail address to the left. If that is missing, it is not real.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. bubbakitty

bubbakitty Doing retirement again and happily so....

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Call and ask to speak with someone from swa….to confirm or refute authenticity. But yeah, if fake and clicked on there could be a problem.

12. Jayhawk Fan

Jayhawk Fan Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The fact they are showing the $46 credit the email referenced in their southwest account is a pretty good indicator that it is not a phishing email, but something actually from southwest.

• Agree Agree x 3
  13. Aces and Eights

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'll be checking both my credit card and Southwest accounts daily. All of my e-mails have the exact same Southwest logo and peripheral information. I haven't clicked on anything within the e-mail. But I did open the e-mail.

14. buckeyebadger

buckeyebadger Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We just booked a southwest flight last week so I checked the confirmation email. It was the first one you posted (the @ifly one). I then checked my other ones that they send daily it seems (fare sales, point sales, etc) and it was from the second one you posted (the @iluv one). So I do believe they are both legit but yeah wouldn’t click on any links-that’s just good habit to have imo.

• Informative Informative x 1
  15. Aces and Eights

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I called Southwest. After being on hold for almost an hour-and-a-half, I told them my situation. They said that they have been updating their system and have had abnormal occurrences that people have been calling them about. I'll keep checking my reservations to make sure that they're still good.

• Informative Informative x 2
  16. zlanga

zlanga High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    "Abnormal occurences", aye caramba!
    Makes you wonder what other info has been sent to the wrong customers...

USBC Nationals
  17. CalifLovesVegas

CalifLovesVegas High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I got a SW email yesterday, so looked to see what it was for?
    Not similar to yours.....
    It was just to let me know my Flight # changed.
    I was Hoping I could make the infamous day/time switheroo for no extra cost?
    But it won't cuz the Time didn't change, darn it.

18. Geddy3

Geddy3 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've been involved in IT for 35+ years and have unfortunately been involved (i.e.caused) 'abnormal occurrences' before like this! Always a very bad feeling when you inadvertently send test/QA data out to production users but mistakes do happen, especially in today's environment where there is a lot of turnover.

19. bluesdude

bluesdude VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I worked in IT also (smaller shop, about 10 of us) but never an actual Network guy. I did work with them though and you are correct about that very bad feeling when something happens. :eek: Still as others have said, never click on those links if something doesn’t look right just as good practice.

Dead & Co with my son! June 4 or 5th - June 8th
  20. nostresshere

nostresshere Mr. Anti Debit Card

Trips to Las Vegas:
    POSSIBLE that the person involved entered a bad email into their account. That happened to be with a bank recently.

Either way - make sure EVERY credit card you have sends you emails when a charge is made.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.