1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

NCAA Conference Realignment

Discussion in 'The Sports Book' started by ken2v, Jul 21, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stlguy197239

stlguy197239 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Without OU and Texas, the remaining Big12 teams are no more valuable than the AAC schools. Baylor and Kansas have value as basketball schools but other than those two, why would you want the others?

2. stlguy197239

stlguy197239 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Michigan is the Texas of the Big 10. Overrated every season, always given credit for a great recruiting class that never works out, and then when the games start, you see they can't play with the big boys.

• Like Like x 1
  3. ronc

ronc VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:

They may not be "more valuable" to the major conferences. They would be to the AAC. If the AAC top teams don't have a shot at moving up and the Big 12 becomes a shell of itself, there could be a different alignment of teams. No one really knows, of course, because it will play out a piece or two at a time. Being "no more valuable" than AAC teams does not mean that they could not hold some value for that league.

The only thing we really know is that something may happen and then it will spread from there most likely.

4. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Call me a dinosaur but I think conference makeup should reflect some semblance of geographic affinity; let the pros do crazy shit like putting Atlanta in the NL West all those years. I also think a 12-team conference makes the most sense because teams can then play everyone within the conference -- kinda the idea of a conference -- and if you need to sacrifice one out-of-conference game, often a payout slaughter fest, to get to 11, so be it; here's looking at you newer Pac-12 with the 10-game scheduling. And no conference, no playoff action. I've long maintained I'd be happy going back to the "flawed" bowl system but too many of those ties/histories have been shattered to ever put it back together, plus the $$$ Gods get ultimate fealty.

• Like Like x 1
  5. zoobrew

zoobrew VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    In today's age, value is based on general population & cable size of the schools market area and not the quality of the school or its football program. In the Great Lakes area the Big Ten network charges the cable companies the same amount for the U of M/Ohio State game as it does the Maryland/Rutgers game. The biggest value that Rutgers & Maryland added to the Big Ten are their large TV markets.

6. Necrochaos

Necrochaos VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Being from a small school (Marshall) who had success during the early BCS era is getting further and further away from a chance to win a title, or even a chance to compete.

We make less from our TV rights than a team like Michigan makes for 1 game on TV. How can you ever expect to compete? Our National title chances end the moment we take the first snap of the season.

There are truly two divisions in the major college football. This realignment will solidify that.

7. bubbakitty

bubbakitty Doing retirement again and happily so....

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The big 12 has lots of problems, one being math. Anyone count the number of colleges in the conference lately? :rolleyes:
    And both texas and Oklahoma seem to wilt when the big boys show :mad: but give us a ut El Paso or bowling green and you might not want to look :cool:

8. stlguy197239

stlguy197239 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Except no one cared about Rutgers or Maryland football. One of the biggest mistakes the Big10 made was not adding Missouri to secure the st louis market which always has really good numbers for sports viewing. They thought that having Illinois was enough to get the viewers and then the SEC came in and added the market and it has helped them a lot. Sure Rutgers is in NY but it wasn't like adding that school boosted the NY viewers for Big10 games to records levels. And I am almost sure Maryland was added for basketball more than football.

9. stlguy197239

stlguy197239 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The idea that Mike Leach put out about a 64 team football playoff was pure insanity. They only way to make that work is to make the college football season 16 games long. If you don't, schools that regularly sacrifice themselves to Alabama and Ohio State for the money would not be able to keep their programs running and you would lose, conservatively, 1/3 of college football teams. If you are Maryland, why would you continue to pay all that money to keep a program running when you will likely never play is more than one playoff game, if you make it to the group of 64?

10. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The thing is, it once "worked" prior to superconferences and the BCS/CFP non-solution to the "problem" they were designed to fix.

11. bull0120

bull0120 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Snapchat-284857876.jpg

• Funny Funny x 3
  12. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    And the first step has been taken ...

13. LAdoesVegas

LAdoesVegas High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    WVU regularly beats Baylor & Kansas in basketball, thank you very much. Not that long ago made the Elite 8 and Sweet 16. Put some respect on our name, please! ;)

As a Mountaineer this is very concerning because going to the AAC would be a slap in the face. And none of this will happen until 2025 most likely but...

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/31913980/sec-unanimously-votes-invite-texas-oklahoma-join-conference

14. bull0120

bull0120 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I think y'all will end up with us in the ACC and we can renew that old yearly rivalry.... Just don't throw batteries at me in Morgantown this year like the last time I visited. Go Hokies!

• Funny Funny x 1
  15. LAdoesVegas

LAdoesVegas High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I would much rather be in the ACC. Just don't come into the Student Section if you visit Morgantown. We don't tolerate the other team :nono: I'm too old for that section now though. Have to buy tickets like everybody else. :p I thought batteries were just a Philly thing? When I went to WVU I was shocked at how many people I met from New Jersey though so maybe that's why?

16. Necrochaos

Necrochaos VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Just to spite my father, I'm hoping to go to a WVU game and where my Marshall Jersey. He was so disappointed when my sister and myself went to Marshall. He wore his WVU hat to both our graduations.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  17. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I love that kind of spirit that CFB engenders!!

18. bubbakitty

bubbakitty Doing retirement again and happily so....

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If he paid the tuition for you guys that’s pretty lightweight. If you did or had scholarships, good for the old man!!!:headbang:

19. LAdoesVegas

LAdoesVegas High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    HAHAHA Treason at the highest level! Go Mountaineers! But we can all agree....Eat Sh*t Pitt!! :beer:

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  20. bull0120

bull0120 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Haha it was 2005. We were bailing to the ACC the next season, Marcus Vick was the QB... He balled out that game and gave the crowd the finger... A couple of times. Understandably, WVU weren't too happy with VT fans at the time and it was the last time we would play for the foreseeable future. I was in the section of tech fans that started chanting "ACC! ACC! ACC!" as the exited, further fueling the fire.... Trash, lighters, batteries all rained from the sky. It was glorious!

• Like Like x 1
    • Wow! Wow! x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.