1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

and this is how the Car Rental agencies get you... $700.00 for a flat tire

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by DaiLun, Mar 26, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. makikiboy

makikiboy VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks for the info.

If this happens to me
    1) Fill up flat tire
    2) put flat tire back on the car
    3) return car.

only kidding (?)

• Like Like x 1
  2. DaiLun

DaiLun R.C., L.C., and A.A.N.G.

Trips to Las Vegas:
    When American Express gets me out of this one, it will be worth it for the last 35 car rental sessions I've used them. ($700/20=35)

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. MCann

MCann I can't complain, but sometimes I still do...

Trips to Las Vegas:
    How long after you got the car was the tire flat? A damaged rim when you picked it up could have caused it to go flat later, and how much later would depend on how damaged.

Also, two frames of reference / perspective:
    1) That is more than I paid for FOUR brand new extremely low profile, wide, 18" tires for my Mercedes after the damage driving to Biloxi. Throw in the new wheel well and wheel liner and all up it cost me about that to replace 4 tires and the whole wheel well of a Mercedes, but I didnt have to replace a wheel.

2) I took the supplemental damage insurance on the Ferrari 458 I rented, knowing it had rims that exceeded $5k a piece and tires in the $2k each range. That insurance was zero deductible and cost me $49 (less than 5% of a days rental rate) for the entire rental period (also paid ME, the renter, a loss of use adjustment for down time if I got a flat during my rental!). I'm curious how much these corporate rental places charge for that on a car worth less than the wheels and tires on that car?

4. TIMSPEED

TIMSPEED Money’s on the way, with CashNetUSA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Just speculation..
    But they PROBABLY charged you for a new tire (regular size) AND a new spare (which you must buy as a “set” tire/rim”; as those spares are pretty much a one-time use deal)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. DaiLun

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It was two days after I picked it up. American Express charges $17.95 (CA resident) per rental period (up to 42 days) for primary insurance.
    • Coverage is primary for theft and damage to a Rental Vehicle. If your rental vehicle is damaged, you can file that claim with us first as your primary provider.
    • Coverage provided is not subject to a policy deductible.

I have the invoices of what they spent.

$259.92 from the Chevy dealership for a new Wheel and Valve
    $228.00 Interesting, they charged me for two tires

I'll let American Express handle it. They can fight with Budget. However, when the adjuster calls me I'll make sure to mention it. I've also asked the Budget Claims person why I was charged for two tires.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  6. vegasvstr

vegasvstr VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If the tires had a lot of wear they probably justified a pair for alignment, etc. reasons.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. dmr

dmr Registered Abuser

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It probably would have been cheaper to just take the tire to a tire shop and have them fix it.

Once years ago (1990s?) I rented a car at LAX, drove down to Orange County, and locked the key (this was back when cars had actual keys) in the car while at a mall. :( I phoned their customer service and they came down to me with a duplicate key and even apologized for the problem. No additional charge.

• Love Love x 1
  8. Burnsie

Burnsie VP Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Hope AMEX comes through!

Some people say it's crazy to pay for the loss damage waiver, but for the rare occasion that I rent a car, this is exactly the kind of post-trip headache I'm willing to pay extra to avoid.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Joe Strummer

Joe Strummer VIP Whale

I rented from " Enterprise" yesterday.
    Here, in my hometown.
    We're renting for a week......total was about $520.
    Enterprise asked if I wanted their coverage " for as little as $15 a day ."
    I declined.
    I hope nothing happens ( after reading this post )

Repair shop wanted close to 2k to repair my wife's
    Corolla ( with over 200,000 miles on it )
    We decided........TIME FOR A NEW CAR !

10. alanleroy

alanleroy Click my avatar

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The AMEX protection is different than the add-ons they try to sell you at the rental car counter. The AMEX deal is $18.00 per rental regardless of how long the rental. The rental car company offerings are 15-20 PER DAY. AMEX becomes the primary insurer so your personal insurance company never gets involved and there are no deductibles I've never made a claim, but have had that coverage automatically applied on every rental for years.

• Informative Informative x 4
  11. zlanga

zlanga High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've had that amex rental insurance available to me for years but have never used my amex to rent. For my rental this June I am using it for the first time, sounds like it may become my go-to. These rental companies are going to be scrounging for every penny they can squeeze out of everybody.

USBC Nationals
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. DaiLun

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Just to be clear,

1)there is a 42 day limit to the rental period.

2)You MUST have an American Express card in good standing,

3)You must enroll in the program, and

4)You must rent the car with your American Express card.

13. DaiLun

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yes, it would have, but

1)my vacation time in Las Vegas is valuable

2)I was on my way somewhere

3)I was returning the car the next day

Now, that being said, now that I understand how they're gonna "hit me", I might consider other alternatives.

14. Golfer

Golfer Well-Known Member

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'd say the first lesson learned should be the item for loss of use. Not covered by a personal auto policy. The second item for future reference is diminution of value. Also not covered by a personal auto policy. Not covered means not carried over to your rental. So all the times you get advice that your personal auto policy covers a rental, that is true, but not for the two items referenced above. The largest exposure the rental car companies potentially can come back on are these two items. It's not a bankrupting thing, but it could be significant. I think insuremyrentalcar.com covers both.

• Informative Informative x 1
  15. ffejry

ffejry #1 Bears Fan

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This is crazy

16. Winner23red

Winner23red Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Definitely going to be watching this thread as I too use my AMEX card for car rentals along with the premium rental coverage they offer of which I never "luckily" had to use.

17. ReTriggerMe

ReTriggerMe Stand Up to Jewish Hate!

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Also watching.

I have a good corporate rate. Never buy the extra protection. Interestingly, with multiple credit cards, I'm careful to pay for flights with a premium card that provides extra coverages. But I am relatively carefree about which card I use for rentals... going to check that now.

18. DaiLun

Trips to Las Vegas:
    OK, this is the big thing that everyone misses. is it PRIMARY coverage, or only supplemental coverage AFTER your personal insurance? American Express is PRIMARY, which means I can go to them first without even involving my personal insurance company.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. ReTriggerMe

ReTriggerMe Stand Up to Jewish Hate!

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I rent a car in LV because my Corp rate makes it inexpensive, and its convenient. One day's rental with fees and taxes is less than round-trip transport to and from airport. Paying for an extra day to get around town without dependency, waits for rideshare, is worth it to me. When I stay longer, the car often goes unused, so I turn it in at a Strip location.

This thread, the prospect of paying significantly more for CDW, and some recent posts about full parking lots and traffic, is making me re-think that. And the description of my card benefit is clear as mud. Although @DaiLun point regarding PRIMARY coverage is apparent. And, I'd expect, that a flat is not covered under theft or collision.

Screenshot_20210328-105710_Chrome_1616955211661.jpg Screenshot_20210328-105722_Chrome_1616955252276.jpg

Last edited: Mar 28, 2021
    • Informative Informative x 1
  20. DaiLun

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yes, clear as mud. They state that in the US, the insurance is secondary to your personal insurance, so this insurance is SECONDARY in the US, and you must claim with you PERSONAL insurance first. However, if a business rental, I'd ALWAYS take the LDW.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.