1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Job Titles

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by oghuman, Mar 2, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dmr

dmr Registered Abuser

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm not HR, and I don't do any of the usual hiring and firing, but occasionally (well, before the Covid Era) we would do the screening and first-contact interview of candidates for positions where the client company did not want to announce that they were entering a particular area yet. Many of these were indeed techie positions.

Our job postings were mostly edited stock boilerplate from the client, and never used "rockstar" or "ninja" or any other nonprofessional pseudo-cutesy "we're an oh-so cool company" terms. Likewise, I never remember such terms being used in a resume or applicant cover letter.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Club81

Club81 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Iā€™m in higher ed, too, and agree 100%

3. phade

phade Keeping tabs on LV while not there...

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Job bands in big corporate are usually more telling and then trying to align with other companies what the correlation is.

I have a Senior Manager title in my company. We are very flat. In many other companies my role would band out at director, VP, SVP even in some areas. I have four managers and 21 supervisors and around 230 employees in 10 states. Responsible for $100M in revenue annually and tens of thousands of clients. My specific title actually only accounts for 40% of my responsible areas too. Titles don't matter much to me as I'm more about the pay, and quality of life that it brings to my family, and the purpose that I get out of it.

Admittedly I'm hitting 40 this summer and fighting that proverbial internal battle whether I'm a lifer or whether I can break away from corporate / office life.

And the software, screening, and linguistics in modern application processes is indeed true. I would never rely on a blanket posting without reaching out. Internally, the goal should be to have the hiring manager already be thinking of you before that posting goes up. Do the diligence before the opportunity if at all possible.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2021
  4. bobby jones

bobby jones VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
  5. 44inarow

44inarow VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The problem that shows up sometimes is when you still have to go through the software and it's not set up right. I applied for a legal position at one point that made you check a box confirming that you had an undergrad degree in "finance or accounting". The position precisely tracked my experience, those degrees would have nothing to do with the role, and I'm almost 20 years out of undergrad, but those are also degrees that my school didn't even offer. But I couldn't in good conscience answer yes to that, and got an auto-reject. Luckily I had already made contact with the hiring manager and she was able to go in and override it, but despite the common wisdom that school Career Advising offices give, companies absolutely do look at and read resumes that come in blind from the online systems, so those sort of automated triggers can be problematic.

As an aside, I'm always kind of amused by the way companies brand their titles these days. Cosmo calls their employees "Co-Stars". Disney is "Cast Members", though it's been that way forever. You can call me a "Turkey" for all I care, just give me a job and a paycheck.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  6. VideoPokerNerd

VideoPokerNerd Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm a working class, blue-collar bumpkin so I'm not high enough on the ladder of society for any kind of job title...except maybe for "peasant"?

"Maiden Vegas" UP THE IRONS!
    1st time at Luxor
  7. oghuman

oghuman VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Just wondering if you feel like you're a peasant maybe you shouldn't be gambling.

• Wow! Wow! x 1
  8. 44inarow

44inarow VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    On an only somewhat-related note, my trivia league had a Seinfeld-adjacent question the other week. The question was, "Shakespeare's Othello was a general in the service of Venice and, also per the play's subtitle, a member of what group of people?"

You might say "Moors", but I'm so sorry, it's the "MOOPS", the correct answer is "MOOPS".

• Funny Funny x 4
  9. MCann

MCann I can't complain, but sometimes I still do...

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm on a conference call right now with a "senior product evangelist." It's actually pretty accurate, but man what a turn off!

• Funny Funny x 1
  10. 44inarow

44inarow VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    That's absurd but also fantastic.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My working title regardless what I've done through the years should've always been "Chief Underachievement Officer."

• Wow! Wow! x 1
  12. HoyaHeel

HoyaHeel Grammar Police & Admin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Am I in a C suite? Nope. Am I super happy with the life I've built? Yep.

Could that be viewed as "underachievement"? Probably. But not by anyone I call friend ;-)

13. 44inarow

44inarow VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My current self-designated title is CEO -- Couch Executive Officer.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Valgal

Valgal VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It seems my hospital is always rebranding the same roles etc. We have always felt we have too many chiefs. The leadership ladder is always changing and remorphing. I saw this on an office door a few years ago. To me just a vague official title to make one sound important and complicated.

Executive Director of Integration and Outreach

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  15. phade

phade Keeping tabs on LV while not there...

Trips to Las Vegas:
    That is quite funny. We refer to our Compliance partners as the Sales Prevention team. Love them to death...but managing risk and eliminating it are two different focuses. One is in business - the other is no business.

• Funny Funny x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.