1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

You don't make enough money to eat convenience foods (on a regular basis)

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by DaiLun, Jan 14, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DaiLun

DaiLun R.C., L.C., and A.A.N.G.

Trips to Las Vegas:
    So, economics lesson #2 for my son today.

He asked me what "instant breakfast with an egg" cost at the grocery store. I told him, send me a picture and I'll find out. So he sent me a picture of Jimmy Dean Simple scrambles
    upload_2021-1-14_8-35-4.png
    which are between $2.50 and $3.00 at Target (or a store near you)

He told me that they're charging $6.00 at work to get it out of "the machine". So, I looked and there is also "just crack an egg", which is another breakfast product in which you supply your own egg. Jimmy deans provides 2 (small) eggs in a sealed cup.

"Just Crack an Egg" doesn't supply the egg, and is a little bit less in price (close to $2.00 on sale). If you look at the ingredients provided, it isn't much, other than being nicely packaged in little bags that can stay fresh for awhile.

However the "thrifty Asian" in me told him, with a little elbow grease, you can make these for less than a dollar, including a container.

So, I went to the market last night and bought sausage, bacon, hash browns, and cheese, just like in the package, and this is what I came up with . . .
    upload_2021-1-14_8-42-33.png
    Ingredients inJust Crack an Egg---------------------------------------------Ingredients in the Dai Lun special
    Cheese is off to the side, and here is an assembled version
    upload_2021-1-14_8-43-36.png upload_2021-1-14_8-43-58.png
    Crack an egg, stir, and microwave for less than a buck!!!!

I used to tell people at the YMCA fundraiser that if they'd give up that $5.00 Starbuck's coffee once a week, that would be $250 that they could donate to the Childcard program that YMCA was providing for FREE (they were getting subsidized from a Govt. source)

I quit Starbucks altogether, and all that money goes into my gambling budget . . . :woohoo:

I told my son that $2.00-3.00 is OK once in a while, but he needs to "think smarter", and put in a little effort to save money. The next thing will be $10.00 uBer rides vs. $2.00 on the bus.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2021
    • Like x 19
    • Agree x 8
    • Love x 3
    • Wow! x 1
    • Informative x 1
  2. buckeyebadger

buckeyebadger Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I love what you did for him! Dh and I have a 24 yr old daughter and it makes us cringe at the money she spends on “convenience” stuff at store that in reality is so easy to make at home PLUS you know exactly what you put in there!

• Like Like x 1
  3. LVisBeautiful

LVisBeautiful High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This is amazing, may I copy this example for my class?

• Like Like x 1
  4. Bond

Bond Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Back in the day, I read a book called "Your Money or Your Life" that had you track all of your spending down to the penny for at least a month. It was amazing to see how much those little things like coffee or breakfast on the run would add up to over a month.

Now of course there are apps for that. I still think it's a useful exercise.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
    • Love Love x 1
  5. DaiLun

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Copy away. I will have a detailed cost analysis shortly.

• Love Love x 1
  6. DaiLun

Trips to Las Vegas:
    OK, a rough cost analysis

Container (8 oz. styrofoam with lid) - $0.11
    Bacon - 1 slice - $0.30
    Sausage - 1 ea. - $0.25
    Cheese - 1 oz. shredded - .$0.21
    Hash browns - 1/2 frozen - $0.12
    Egg - 1 Jumbo - $0.17

Comes out to $1.15 (not including tax), and I'm sure that there are cost savings in there that I missed. I told my son when he starts driving himself to work, and doesn't want to get up 30-35 minutes to cook his own breakfast, he can prepare two of these the night before. Breakfast and lunch - solved.

• Like Like x 5
  7. DaiLun

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I actually did this with paper and pen for a week (a long time agoi) The results were surprising.

• Like Like x 1
  8. pirviii

pirviii Degenerate

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I usually do the math when I think about a $10 burger versus what it costs to make at home.

9. LVisBeautiful

LVisBeautiful High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    as someone who struggles to keep math classes lively in a pandemic, you have made my day sir

• Like Like x 4
  10. cjcjcj

cjcjcj VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It is amazing what people spend on convenience, particularly those who *can't afford it*

Who am I to pass judgment? But I find it REALLY HARD to be sympathetic to those who complain about "being broke" while also eating out for lunch everyday or getting Starbucks etc...

There are items I splurge on time to time....but breakfast is SO EASY to make that I enjoy making it and it is a nice way to get the day started along with my $0.38 coffee from my ninja.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. LLK311

LLK311 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    That cup thing doesn't even look good? It probably tastes processed and gross. If anything you can get a freshly made egg sandwich somewhere for less than $6 smh

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. hammie

hammie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Packing your breakfast/lunch each day compared to buying it at the cafeteria could be enough for a monthly payment for a modest used car. Even McDonald's large coffee is $1.69 and I don't like to pay it. I get a big 3 lb can of Folgers at Costco for $9 and it makes 400-6oz cups. That works out to be about $.075 per 20 oz coffee.

I'm not a fan of microwaving expanded polystyrene (styrofoam), maybe there is a reusable glass or ceramic vessel that can be substituted.

Look at the ingredient list of some of these microwave ready foods, its a paragraph.

When my daughters were school aged they might ask me a question about a measurement, weight, volume I would smile and say "math is all around us", it would elicit eye rolls, but we would get the answer together. I always tried to look for teachable moments.

• Like Like x 2
  13. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Good job, DL!!

Shop the exterior of the store.

• Agree Agree x 5
  14. hammie

hammie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Or you could spray Pam into a glass bowl, crack an egg breaking the yolk, microwave it for 1:30 at 50% (your microwave may vary). While that's going on, grab an English muffin, bagel or tortilla and either toast or warm it up. As for meat, sliced Virginia Ham or Tavern ham from the deli, or pre-cooked bacon works. Get sliced cheese from the deli as well. The whole thing takes less than 5 minutes from start to finish.

One egg is $.10 ($1 per dozen at Aldi) I think 16 slices of processed cheese food is about $1.80 or about $.12 per slice, 12 strips of cooked Bacon are about $2.75, lets round it up and call it $.25. Deli Ham is about $6-9 per lb., so lets call that about $.40 for some kind of meat. A bagel is about $.30. So for 5 minutes and about $1 you have a home made breakfast sandwich. You can always use better ingredients, maybe a bag of shredded cheddar or higher quality meat.

Forgot to add the cost of saran wrap to cover the egg while its cooking so you don't have a microwave mess to clean up.

Give a man a fish, he eats for today, teach a man to fish, he eats for a lifetime.

@DaiLun, regarding work transportation for your son, did you consider a bike or even an electric bike?

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. Burnsie

Burnsie VP Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I wouldn't eat one of those chemical-filled 'pre-fab' breakfasts if you paid me.

Then again, I work at home so it's easier finding time to make the real thing.

16. Raven888

Raven888 Watanabe wannabe

Trips to Las Vegas:
    A common "defense" I see from people who buy fast food or whatever and don't cook their own meals is "I don't have time!!"

But you have time to pull over to McDonald's on your way to work and wait in the drive thru or the lobby for five or ten minutes to get something for breakfast? You can easily MAKE a breakfast in the time it takes you to do that, and you'll save money, and it's healthier.

It takes two minutes to throw together a PB&J or just about any other sandwich.

If you want to be efficient about it, most of the time it takes preparing meals is waiting for the stuff to cook. Put it on the stove and finish up your homework or change the baby's diaper or do whatever it is you needed to do.

I don't get how people "don't have time." Cooking is not hard or time intensive 98% of the time. It's only as hard as you make it. Almost nobody is busy every second of every minute for 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. You have time. You just don't know how to manage it effectively.

Vegas Vacation XII
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Love Love x 1
  17. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I just finished a new book on TR. One of the things the author pointed out is how everyone is TOO busy in today's world. Teddy was president. He still had time to read voraciously and write at a nearly comparative pace. He was on the go almost non-stop. Travel. Trust-busting. Saving wild spaces and, yes, killing a lot of critters. He made time for a personally and professionally harried and rich life.

• Like Like x 1
  18. jpw711

jpw711 Is that your cat?

Trips to Las Vegas:
    As @Multifarious5 can attest, my statement below my post agrees!

Nice lesson to teach your son there, hope he learns young, once you spend it, it's gone.

No reason to go home yet.
    • Like Like x 1
  19. Ezzy711

Ezzy711 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I think that is a great lesson, especially for today’s youth. But, you must also consider time into the equation.

I always brought my own breakfast and lunch to work. I would have prep days on Sunday and cook off and/ or package a bunch of stuff for the week. I was outsourced in 2014 and started my own business. I am home all the time and still prep, although not in one day. However, I have been leaning more and more on precleaned/portioned veggies just to save time. I no longer clean lettuce and put it through the spinner. I often buy giant bags of prepped broccoli. Most of the time I will buy a head of cauliflower, but stock up on the easy microwave bags when on sale. I never did eat much of the prepacked foods, (except occasionally deli meat) always fresh chicken, etc.

I just ordered a bunch of food from Daily Harvest. It is expensive for sure, but it is all high quality frozen. There are some nights I’m just not in the mood to cook and the money is no substitute for being able to sit down, relax and not do dishes. I wouldn’t buy a kit I had to cook, but already cooked, frozen and fresh organic ingredients, I’m willing to try. If it’s any good I’ll get some every month or two to have on hand.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  20. smerrian

smerrian View from Bally's

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This is exactly what I do for breakfast 3 days a week.

• Like Like x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.