1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

End of Middle Seat Blocking on SW - December 1

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by VegasGroove, Oct 22, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. VegasGroove

VegasGroove VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. Catzilla

Catzilla VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I just cancelled my trip next week thinking maybe December. But that will be a consideration when the time comes.

3. ronc

ronc VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I was hoping they would keep it going through December because some of our family will be traveling then. I was also sure that it would end at some point...

We are traveling some but this may slow our trips down moving into the coming year. We fly almost exclusively with SWA. We'll see what happens over the course of the next few months...

I know there is a safety issue to it, but it sure was nice being on non-sardine flights for a while, too!

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. LB9

LB9 PH Blackjack Degen

Trips to Las Vegas:
    To be fair, didn't they do it longer than most of their competitors? I recall United and some others stopped this a while ago, not to mention Southwest hasn't engaged in mass layoffs (ala American, United, etc). While I would love for them to block the middle seat well into next year, I figured this would happen. I'll just take my Nov trip and probably not fly again into well into next year (I only use SW to be candid).

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 2
  5. VaDreamer

VaDreamer High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Delta continues to have blocked middle seats thru January.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. Bernie2

Bernie2 MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Of course they could reconsider and I'm hoping they do.

• Agree Agree x 5
  7. nostresshere

nostresshere Mr. Anti Debit Card

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Market forces might make it happen. Or not.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. rhinoman7

rhinoman7 A Diamond in the Ruff

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This is why we are going in November and not December. :wiggle:

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. Bobby B

Bobby B High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If things continue to get bad, the blocking may return. If you can't get more than 2/3 of the plane sold anyway, might as well block the middle seats and that would help fill the rest.

• Agree Agree x 4
  10. tfcoach72

tfcoach72 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Currently booked on SW for a January trip, NCAA Football Championship. I enjoy betting this game. If middle seats aren’t blocked, will probably cancel and head to Biloxi. Not 100% sure I’ll travel anyway, if things trend as being discussed.

I really like this place!
  11. sinnerman

sinnerman VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yeah, this is a huge negative for me. I am much more enthusiastic about Delta now.

12. news423

news423 No Respect

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Southwest is banking on various reports that plane travel is considered safe. People on both sides can argue for or against; this isn't the forum to discuss.

@LB9 made an excellent point. Southwest is one of the final holdouts to block middle seats. United and American long ago gave in. So kudos to Southwest for holding out this long.

The optimist in me says that because Southwest will adopt this practice, it should be a glimmer of hope for all of us that airlines (and our way of life) will soon be at the beginning stages of a return to normalcy. Blocking middle seats was a temporary measure; airlines are going to keep flying planes to get as much money coming in, especially if continued federal assistance is off the table. They want them full as possible. Airlines aren't a charity; they're a business. And if Delta keeps blocking middle seats past January, I will be shocked.

I want to fly to Vegas. Heck, I even just want to get back to work and cut out the virtual stuff (I usually fly in/out of CMH each week for my job).

Let's hope Southwest is on to something here.

• Agree Agree x 4
  13. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Alaska Air is continuing blocking on mainline flights into next year.

As safe as air travel is proving to be, proximity/density going up is still not a good thing.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. pressitagain

pressitagain VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I’m pretty sure the CDC came up with an interesting guideline today. They might want to rethink...

15. Brandt

Brandt VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Blocking the middle seat is nice, but even if it is open, people are still close enough to you to get you infected. Only benefit is 1/3 less chance there is a person with an infection if there are 1/3 less people flying.

• Agree Agree x 3
  16. Chuck2009x

Chuck2009x VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It was a drastic change. I'm not sure it's gonna sink in though.

• Like Like x 1
  17. DiamondD

DiamondD High Roller in Training

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Not to hijack the thread, but the most important question is "When will SWA resume alcohol service?" Anyone have an update if they are resuming full beverage service in conjunction with returning to sardine seating?

Another Excursion
    Why Not?
    • Funny Funny x 2
  18. ronc

ronc VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Just got this email from Southwest offering refunds to those not wanting fly with middle seats filled:

"Beginning with the travel date of December 1, 2020, all seats on Southwest® flights are once again available for purchase.

While we have communicated having our "Middle Seats open through November 30," we understand that you may have made your booking hoping we would continue to limit the number of Passengers onboard beyond that date. We are committed to your peace of mind when you fly, and travel scheduled beyond November 30 may include a flight with an occupied middle seat. As a gesture of goodwill, we are providing you the opportunity for a refund* for your upcoming trip (Confirmation #AAAAA) should you wish to cancel. In order to receive a refund*, you must complete and submit this form by Saturday, October 31 at 11:59 p.m. CDT. Once the form has been submitted, no further actions are required (i.e., do not cancel your trip on Southwest.com® or swabiz.com)**. Please allow up to 30 days for funds to be applied to your original form of payment**. A follow-up notification will be sent to you once your trip has been canceled and an additional notification will be sent after your refund has been processed.

With the Southwest Promise, we're committed to supporting the well-being of our Employees and Customers by requiring face coverings; using HEPA air filters onboard (similar to the technology found in hospitals); and electrostatically applying disinfectant on aircraft surfaces to kill viruses on contact as well as an antimicrobial spray that forms a protective shield that lasts for 30 days. Additionally, we continue to evaluate our policies and procedures based on guidance from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and the broader medical community.

While many elements of our experience have changed and will continue to evolve, we are continuing to deliver the same Southwest Hospitality that you know and expect. From our Heart to yours, we are ready to connect you to the People and places you love, and we hope to see you soon."

Last edited: Oct 23, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  19. joespoolhall

joespoolhall VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Saw the same one. Instead of 15 minutes in a row near a transmitter, they're now thinking any combo of that 15 minutes. Is 2 hours ok?
    Airlines are saying that with their sanitizing, masking and air filtration, you only have a one percent chance of catching it. Think I'll wait and see how that works.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  20. GeorgeG

GeorgeG Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Ronc, Thanks for the posting. I had a flight i needed to cancel. Hopefully they will offer me a refund also.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.