1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Chocolate in checked bags

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by Barcuss, Jun 29, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Barcuss

Barcuss Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Anyone know how hot it is in the baggage area of Southwest airlines? Trying to get some fairly expensive chocolate in our checked bags but not sure how warm is gets and don't want it to melt.

2. VegasBJ

VegasBJ VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    HOT, wouldn't chance it this time of year. The tarmac and bags waiting in the sun to be loaded would be enough to start melting

• Agree Agree x 5
  3. VegasBJ

VegasBJ VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    why don't you put it in your carry on?

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. HoyaHeel

HoyaHeel Grammar Police & Admin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I wouldn't put anything that melts in checked luggage in the summer - includes chocolate, lipsticks, deodorant.....

• Agree Agree x 4
  5. Zacharius

Zacharius Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The baggage area of the aircraft is temperature controlled, so no worries there. The baggage area of the airport, however...not great, especially when you consider that bags may sit out in the sun for 30-45 minutes during the aircraft turn...possibly more if there are delays. If you are changing planes, there's additional time during that turn for your bag to be out in the elements. At your destination, it could still sit out for a period before reaching you in baggage claim. This all applies to much of the year in Las Vegas, but especially now.

6. greekjim

greekjim King Gyro

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I don’t know where you are getting those chocolates from but I just buy and carry on some chocolates from the Ethel M. Store in the concourse

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Vegas Todd

Vegas Todd MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I brought home lots of chocolates in my checked bags on SWA in August and never has a problem with them melting.

8. Barcuss

Barcuss Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    These are chocolate that are special made turtles and they spell our son's name and happy birthday

9. dmr

dmr Registered Abuser

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I would be far more concerned about how log they sit out in the Las Vegas sun before they actually get put on the plane.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Barcuss

Barcuss Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Sounds like just be safe I should carry on these.

• Agree Agree x 3
  11. Barcuss

Barcuss Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks for all the great thoughts on this, I honestly was only thinking of while the plane was in the air but we do have a layover in New Orleans so that settles it. SO it would either sit on a baggage cart in the middle of the tarmac for an hour or so.

12. nostresshere

nostresshere Mr. Anti Debit Card

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I would do carry on. Then again, we never check bags anymore.

But - if you put in your checked bag - put in the MIDDLE of your clothing so it is insulated from any potential heat.

Nah... do carryon.

13. Barcuss

Barcuss Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You not traveling with my wife. lol She has 2 suitcases one of which I am worried will be oversized. I have a small one with extra space for all the Crap (I mean souvenirs) she might buy. When I go out there with my son we just have couple of backpacks that we carry on and I love it that way.

14. Multifarious5

Multifarious5 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'd be nervous checking it... I'd prefer carry on.

A) it's hot outside until it gets onto the plane.

B) it doesn't happen a lot, but they do misplace luggage sometimes. We've had it happen on a direct flight. In that case, who knows how long it is sitting where. I've had even lipstick melt in checked luggage. Not always, but it's happened.

You might be fine though! Good luck, and have a great trip!

15. queuetee

queuetee VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I agree about putting the candy in the middle of clothes. I remember when we bought candy at Ethel M's they actually wrapped the boxes in some type of insulating plastic when I told her we were bringing them home.

16. nostresshere

nostresshere Mr. Anti Debit Card

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yea. I get it. Some will never get over it. We did a 3 week round the world trip a few years back. Told her it HAD to be carry on only. We each had a roll on and a small computer type bag. It worked. We have since taken 2 week trips to Europe, cruises,etc and she is loving it. Way less decisions on what to take. We almost never buy souvenirs. Got tired of buying stupid crap that people just throw in the closet anyways.

I feel your pain.

17. Zacharius

Zacharius Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I had a bag once sit on the tarmac in Madrid for four days before they finally stuck it on a flight to Algiers where I was. August, in Madrid, gets damn hot. The sticker on the outside of my bag was faded and it was clear the thing has been outside in the sun all four days.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.