1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Flying with only a carry-on...

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by LV2005, Jun 20, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TiffyChick

TiffyChick High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Give me all your advice for flying with only a personal item and a carry-on (I'm flying Sprit Airlines). I'm flying in August so clothes will be smaller/thinner. I'm a girly-girl, so my ideas of necessities may not match yours ;) but I welcome ALL insights to traveling as light as possible.:)

Solo because YOLO - June 9-14, 2024
    Paris in the Springtime...April 28-May 3 2024
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Catzilla

Catzilla VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It is what I always do. For your personal item, get the biggest size bag you can for under the seat. Then put your purse inside that. (unless you use a monster size purse) That gives you lots of extra room. I usually put anything that I think TSA might want to examine in that smaller bag too. (liquids, electronics, etc) That way if they want to take a look they don't mess up my carryon.

You can use a space saver bag that you push air out of to give you more space in the carryon. When you get there use it for dirty clothes and at the end of the trip squish that down to nothing.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Ty

Ty ?

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This is the main tip from me. Reduce as much air as you can. Toiletry kit is a zip log bag. OTC meds go in zip log bags.

• Like Like x 1
  4. nostresshere

nostresshere Mr. Anti Debit Card

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Years ago, we did a round the world trip over 3 weeks. Carry on only. Wife objected. Since then we have done 2 week cruises, and all kinds of trips. Have not checked a bag in years. Get down to basics. Get real.

It is really great.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 3
  5. Travel Fanatic

Travel Fanatic The Arbiter of Taste Caviar Kid

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I travel all the time carryon only. If you're having trouble fitting everything in your bag, you can find lots of videos online showing you how to jellyroll or military roll your clothes to make them as compact as possible

The plans have changed
    Post-Shopping Recovery Period
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  6. Catzilla

Catzilla VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If you REALLY want to cut back... I once went to Vegas for 2 nights with only the personal item. You can wash things while you're there so you don't have to pack one for each day. If you take extra shoes, water bottle, coffee mug... pack smalls inside them. Travel size everything. If you're picky about using your own brand, buy little bottles and fill it with your own stuff.

7. jsadlak

jsadlak Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I travel for work by myself a lot and I’m always willing to take a bump on a flight to get some free flights so I rarely check a bag. First think of how many times you are packing at the end of your trip and have tons of stuff you never wore. Plan ahead, take things that are easy to mix and match to create different looks. Try to really reduce things that take up a lot of space like shoes. Try to only take 2 pair (wearing the largest on your flight). Luckily things you don’t want to skimp on like underwear don’t take up much space. Getting travel size toiletries saves a ton of space in your bag. Wear any larger items on the plane so you don’t waste the space in your bag like a sweater, jeans, jacket, hat, etc. you can always take it off and store under the seat. If you aren’t 100% sure you’ll need something then don’t bring it. There’s tons of shopping available on your trip so you can buy it if you really need it and consider it a souvenir.

8. flyguyfl

flyguyfl MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    All good advice. You might want to consider you will get shampoo, soap and lotion in the room . You may consider minimizing make up if you don't plan on clubbing. Max number of shoes 2 with one being dressy.

• Funny Funny x 1
  9. deansrobinson

deansrobinson VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Can't remember the last time I checked a bag. Then again, over in Manland, the phrase 'essential' does not have universal translation. I roll my clothes tight. I don't pack for 'contingencies'...Vegas is 24x7x365, so if I absolutely have to have it, there's probably a store within walking distance. Toiletries are restricted to travel size items. Remember, shampoo, conditioner and THE HAIR DRYER are in your room (The Mrs. has to have her hairdryer. Pick your battles.) I plan the wardrobe out, adding only one spare / emergency set of clothes.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  10. jsadlak

jsadlak Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    As someone who stays in A LOT of hotels I have to disagree with the guys on relying on the hotel soap and shampoo. Women’s hair isn’t like men’s. A lot of hotels have been switching to eco friendly shampoo and soap options, a lot are now doing shampoo/conditioner combo. The ladies will tell you that’s a no go for us. Also if you have certain products you can’t live without the dollar store sells little tsa approved bottles you can bring your own supply from home in.

• Love Love x 1
  11. ajdj

ajdj Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We travel 3-4 weeks at a time with carry on only. Once you’ve done it once you’d be amazed at how much you can take and how much you’ve previously carried around that you didn’t need.

Compression packing cubes are amazing. We use Gonex brand bought on Amazon.
    Toiletries take up a huge amount of space and weight and most people take far too many. Utilise what the hotel provides and invest in some travel size refillable bottles for anything else.
    Think about what you are actually likely to wear and realise that you don’t need multiple pairs of shoes!

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  12. carolineno

carolineno VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I agree with wearing the sweater and bulkiest shoes on the plane, and be honest about how many pairs of shoes you’ll need. Sneakers, dressy sandals and ballet flats are usually enough. I know everyone says 2 pairs tops but I need options!

Unless you have time and the budget for shopping, I do recommend 2 swimsuits. I brought an older one and the chlorine shredded it. I was glad I brought a back up rather than pay big bank for one at the resort. They don’t take up much room.

Summer is a good time for minimal packing. Maybe watch some of the YouTube videos on packing for Spirit- I hear they are quite strict.

Ladies getaway, somewhere on the strip with a pool :)
    • Love Love x 1
  13. nostresshere

nostresshere Mr. Anti Debit Card

Trips to Las Vegas:
    All this rolling, vacuum bags, etc only helps a little. If you take too much, you take too much.

We do not do any of those fancy things. We just pack light. We wear outer clothes more than one day. Two pair of shoes is enough. And in reality, the 2nd pair often never gets worn.

Two weeks of underwear take almost no room.

14. vegas superfan

vegas superfan VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Longest I have gone in a carry on sized bag was six weeks. I just wash things in the sink or use Febreeze on things I don't want to wash in the sink, like jeans. I bring a solid shampoo bar, so that cuts out one liquid and works for sink laundry.

You can also try putting a post-it on every non-clothing item. Take it off as you use it. When you unpack back at home, anything with a post-it still on it, does not get packed next time.

15. vegas superfan

vegas superfan VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This x infinity. I do not touch the hotel shampoo or conditioner.

I also bought myself a Kiehl's advent calendar last year, as that is my brand of choice for toiletries. The container sizes are usually just under 1 oz, so they take up very little space. About half the containers I got were also refillable. Something like this in the brand of your choice:

https://www.kiehls.com/gifts/gifts-for-all/normal-skin-starter-kit/3605972222770.html?GeoRedirectOff&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIvZrS07uR6gIV8suGCh3GIQfFEAQYAiABEgIe-vD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

• Love Love x 1
  16. news423

news423 No Respect

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Usually travel each week for work. Except for the last 4 months for obvious reasons.

Tip for space: ROLL, don’t fold your clothes. Roll them tight. Saves more room than you think.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. dmr

dmr Registered Abuser

Trips to Las Vegas:
    For your "personal item", take your everyday purse and put it and other things in a larger tote bag.

I can do three days worth in my roll-around carry-on bag. Just don't pack all kinds of stuff that you know you will not wear.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. jlpkap

jlpkap Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    28 pair of underwear takes no room? Are we not changing each day?

• Funny Funny x 2
  19. NYNYGirl

NYNYGirl VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Am I the only one who does the One Bottom Two Day rule...:ssst:

I just make sure when I shower after wearing them once that they are hanging in the bathroom getting a good steam job.

I also like to wrap my socks in dryer sheets then pack them in my shoes...

• Like Like x 1
  20. DBear

DBear VIP Bear

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I take a carry on bag (roller type) when traveling for work and may need to travel with coworkers or store the bag in an office, but now when flying leisure, I’ll take a duffel bag with shoulder strap. Actually got a nice one from work and it’s very easy to stuff in overhead bins or under seat if need be. I can stuff more in that than a roller type carry on with hard sides and whatnot. Actually quite a bit more when I laid everything out.

I pack a lot of polyester type of t-shirts/golf shirts and even some pants. They hang dry within a few hours. No cotton or jeans for me on long trips.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.