1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Songs of the 70s

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by JaDubya, Jun 9, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JaDubya

JaDubya High Roller? Nah...just a Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    @ardee - is making me nostalgic. Got me thinking about songs from the 70s that make me smile each time I hear them. At that time, I was a child so I identify with the simplicity of the times & these songs. Here are a few. Does anyone else like 70s music?

• Like Like x 11
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. thegov2k2

thegov2k2 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I always thought this was a 70s song, turns out it came out in February 1980. Oh well, I'm posting it anyway.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Hard6n8

Hard6n8 MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I listen to 70s tunes when I golf!

• Like Like x 1
  4. jamesxnj

jamesxnj VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Though I was into heavier stuff at the time,Led Zep,Steppenwolf,Stones etc. I loved Jim Croce..
    Was in my local supermarket and just stopped what I was doing to take this in on the Muzak piped into the store.

• Like Like x 5
    • Love Love x 2
  5. Breeze147

Breeze147 Button Man

Trips to Las Vegas:

• Like Like x 10
    • Love Love x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. fasbman

fasbman VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Although I was a pre teen at the time, I will never forget the first megahit of the 70's - American Pie. On the flip side, a 70's song I would like to forget is Disco Duck (Part 1). Mercifully, there never was a Part II.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Love Love x 1
  7. rooster42000

rooster42000 Goat of all Goats , My Hero

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It's a Beautiful Morning- Young Rascals

• Like Like x 8
    • Love Love x 1
  8. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Saturday In The Park and 25 or 6 to 4. Anything by Chicago in the 70s.

• Like Like x 6
    • Love Love x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  9. VegasBJ

VegasBJ VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    early 70's I was listening to Deep Purple, LZ, Pink Floyd, Jethro Tull, early Genesis with Peter Gabriel, Allman Bros., Chicago, and others.

Mid/late 70's it was Fleetwood Mac, Peter Frampton, the Cars, AC/DC, Boston, Journey, et al

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 2
  10. VegasBJ

VegasBJ VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    this is for you Joe, Russian band covering 25 or 6 to 4 with perfection

11. dmr

dmr Registered Abuser

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I remember the 70s as kind of a strange decade for music, with some very good tunes and some ungodly awful ones.

Before I graduated high school I "graduated" on radio from top-40 AM to what would be known as album-oriented FM, following the decline of WMCA and the absorbing of most of their audience by WABC, which I mostly could not stand. The ultra-tight over and over and over playlist and the obnoxious "personalities" were too much. I ended up falling in love with WNEW-FM and their low-key announcers and very wide selection of music.

LOL, then it was off to college and the Disco Days! There were two distinct crowds, the disco fans and the "disco sucks" fans. I was stuck between them and became comfortable with both loud disco and loud live bands and my albums in that day were both rock and R&B, mostly on cassette at the time. Yeah, I had a few 8 tracks, as my first car of my very own came with a sometimes-working 8 track player in the dash.

Lotsa rock crossed over to blues and I started becoming a fan of such back then.

As for good tunes, there were just too many to list, and as I said in another thread, most of the rock albums of the era always had many very good tracks and not just one hit and 11 filler tracks. Maggie May and American Pie are two of the best tunes from that decade, in my not so humble opinion. They got airplay both on AM top 40 and FM AOR.

Many of the bad tunes were made bad, or made badder, by overplaying on AM radio (which was all my car had for a while) and jukeboxes and even in the dorms. Disco Duck was awful to begin with and overplaying it made it majorly annoying! Lovin' You (aka "That Stupid Bird Song") was overplayed to the point of absurdity. Brandy was a catchy tune but it was just run into the ground and became annoying, kinda like My Sharona in years to come. The worst tune of the decade had to be Muskrat Love, and it's the only song I remember for when it came on, I would instinctly reach for the control and **CLICK** and revel in silence for the next 3:05.

Oh well ...

• Like Like x 2
    • Love Love x 1
  12. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    @VegasBJ Excellent! Years ago, maybe 10?, we saw Chicago on Fremont St on New Year's Eve and it was so disappointing. They sucked and sounded horrible. I thought maybe just the acoustics on Fremont? Since it was a live show, I checked the dvr when we got home. Nope, they just sucked.

• Funny Funny x 1
  13. VegasBJ

VegasBJ VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yeah, current Chicago just goes through the motions. They miss Terry Kath / Cetera for sure

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. NickyDim

NickyDim Hockey is life

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Since moving to Vegas I've seen Christopher cross, Peter frampton, spinners, Elton, Aerosmith, lynard skynyrd, 38 special, Charlie Daniels, Jackson Browne, Barry manilow, Bruce hornsby, and dead and company.
    How's that for a '70s music experience?

• Love Love x 2
  15. rooster42000

rooster42000 Goat of all Goats , My Hero

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Beginnings by Chicago Live

Last edited: Jun 10, 2020
  16. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    SO many great songs. It was an amazing decade. Sure, there were tons of dogs and pop disasters or genres we didn't like, but no one can hang that exclusively on the '70s. As one who graduated from high school in '79, it certainly was my decade. Classic rock, swamp rock, country rock, hard rock, prog rock, funk, R&B, the early stirrings of grunge and the dawn of the Second Wave ...

As for acts that are older than even most of us, well, I'd say we had more snap in our step 45 years ago than we do now, as well. I never expect a "true" or back-in-the-day sound today. That's why we have albums. You're there for the memories and to see someone who was very important in your formation still pushing back on the hands of time.

• Agree Agree x 3
  17. JaDubya

JaDubya High Roller? Nah...just a Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    While I was a kid when these came out, I remember them being dreadful. In 2020, they still are

• Like Like x 2
  18. jamesxnj

jamesxnj VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    When you mention WNEW ,DMR you must have been in the tri-state area? Does Allison Steele ring a bell..the 'Nightbird' ??

And the advent of FM was great at the time.The Audivox FM tuner was the thing to install in the car along with the under-dash 8 track player..

• Like Like x 1
  19. Mudhen

Mudhen Always in Dutch

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Here's what bands looked like back in the 70's. Times have changed.

20. alanleroy

alanleroy Click my avatar

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Don't forget Disco!

Never mind. You can forget it. Disco sucks.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.