1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

What item(s) is still hard to find or low quantity in the stores now?

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by Valgal, May 15, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Breeze147

Breeze147 Button Man

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I bought some Giant brand Lots Of Noodles soup. Yuuuuuuck!! Tasted like tin can. I'll save this dreck for when the Boy Scouts have a Food Drive.

2. thegov2k2

thegov2k2 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Soup is one of the few things for me where it's name brand or nothing. I've had too many lousy store brand soups.

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. BlacklabberMike

BlacklabberMike MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Not yet, but small room size AC units will be in short supply come mid June.
    The companies only make so many units anticipating sales based on previous years sales.
    With so many people working from, there will be a spike in sales shortly.

• Informative Informative x 2
  4. hammie

hammie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Have you checked Home Depot or Lowes? Up here in PA they are selling denatured alcohol in the paint department. I'm pretty sure you can use that for fuel, but don't drink it.

As for what's difficult to find around these parts? Steaks or roasts are are hit or miss, I can usually get ground beef, but most of it is packed in chubs or in vacuum sealed bricks. I saw 80% for $3.50 per lb. Chicken breast is also hit or miss, but we have some in the freezer and this morning I picked up a family pack @ $1.86 a lb. Lots of drumsticks, thighs, and leg quarters (@ $.50 per lb in a 10 lb. bag). Can't find any wipes or disinfecting spray (like Fantastik). Toilet paper is back on the shelves, I just bought Charmin for the first time in ages. I guess if it's good enough for those cartoon bears, its good enough for my bum. Paper towels are back too.

I'm really dying for a Costco strip loin as I polished off the last of the two steaks a few weeks ago. One thing that will be in great abundance is farm raised Atlantic Salmon imported from Chile, it's literally piling up in freezers right now at the source. Since 70% of seafood is consumed away from home, there is no shortage of fish right now. I just saw a wholesaler offering 10 lb boxes of frozen Mahi Mahi fillets for $40. Imported frozen shrimp seems to be abundant as well. Pasta and jarred sauce is in good supply.

As for Olives, I just picked up a twin pack of Jumbos at Costco, my vodka was getting lonely.

5. Ten_On_The_End

Ten_On_The_End VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I quit buying ALDI clam chowder when I read the label and one of the ingredients was titanium dioxide. Same thing that makes white paint white. Other than that I have pretty low standards in food. Hell, I'm happy to have something to eat that's not spoiled. Might be SPAM stir fry tonight.

6. leo21

leo21 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    There are a lot of companies making hand sanitizer right to pick up where Purell is falling off. It should be easier to find in other brands soon. Same with masks.

I don't know when disinfectant spray and wipes will fully recover. I've been able to get wipes since this started but not spray. TP and paper towels are in great supply but I've been able to find it. Hopefully they continue to ration it until things fully recover.

7. bshowell

bshowell VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Still the usual things in short supply around here. Lysol (spray/wipes/cleaner), Clorox (wipes/cleaner), tofu (we were discussing that during our staff meeting today lol), meat products are hit or miss (ground chicken/turkey yes, sausage no), flour (I've taken to ordering from a mill), and yeast. Instacart times are getting slightly better, it seems. Most of us have been able to get times at least within 48 hrs vs 3 weeks.

8. bardolator

bardolator Lifelong Low Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Whole wheat flour is showing back up, now that the fad bakers have learned it is not easy to handle.

I hate that processed meat has taken over much of the meat aisle. Meat and poultry shortages are still getting worse in the PNW, and prices are rising. Apparently, it takes more than a meat shortage to make people buy more seafood, aside from shrimp. So we can get fish at regular prices.

Another couple years of this and I might get Mag to eat more meatless, dairyless meals.

9. insin

insin Speed Spender

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have not been able to find clorox/lysol wipes in ANY store since this all began.
    I'm down to my last tub now!

Meat selection has been very lacking for the past month.
    Even at Sam's Club - one of the floor meat coolers was filled with bags of shredded cheese and dairy, like nobody would notice?!

10. FullPay

FullPay When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I’ve scored paper towels and toilet paper at the local Kroger, but it’s still hit or miss. When I ran out of paper towels I made the trek thru Target. I haven’t even tried for hand sanitizers because I don’t even know where to look. On a center aisle display was a decent amount of hand sanitizer bottles, so I grabbed one. I thought it might have come from one of our local distilleries, but instead it was this:
    2F5F2B2D-1F8A-4228-B839-3457C51F607E.jpeg
    The hardest thing to find in our disrupted supply chain and my first opportunity to buy hand sanitizer is a product distributed by a California company and manufactured in China.

11. Rookies11

Rookies11 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Toronto here.

We have been in mostly Quarantine for 9 weeks now and people have done it properly and stemmed the tide and crushed it down.

in the food stores, Flour & Yeast are in short supply, along with Clorox wipes. Everyone has become a Baker- apparently.

Other than that, everything else is in plentiful supply.

no problemo.

12. 3OfDiamonds

3OfDiamonds Waiting For “Very Good” Video Poker @ Rio…

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Food is generally ok but weird outages here and there, TP and paper towels getting better, rubbing alcohol and hydrogen peroxide still difficult to find as is Emergen-C :eek: I’ve heard about webcams being difficult to find since people need them for teleworking or want them to visit with family/friends. Although it is decidedly *not* a priority, I would like a Nintendo Switch with the Ring Fit game, and both the game and the full-size Switch (game does not work with the Lite) are not easy to find (at least at MSRP; I’m still debating whether I really want it at that price, so I’m certainly not forking over a premium to a reseller :nono:)...

13. donfairplay

donfairplay VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    As a heads up, consider buying a De'Longhi portable air conditioner (a/c, not the one with the heater) from Costco's online - if you need to return it, you can drop it off at a Costco store. It's practically a warranty on something that isn't terribly reliable.

They're loud to the point it may not be great if you're working from home, but they do a good job of cooling a room. Mine has lasted a few years and I shan't be returning it.

But don't buy if you don't have a completely open socket, or if your windows are too high up.

14. steveks225

steveks225 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Unbelievably pancake syrup, and then associated with that is either Bisquick or some other brand of boxed pancake/waffle mix. Lots of family bonding time making from scratch breakfast around the griddle or waffle iron.

15. Breeze147

Breeze147 Button Man

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I cannot find Spam anywhere.

16. Breeze147

Breeze147 Button Man

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Funny thing, I just made me some Aunt Jemima pancakes and Aunt Jemima syrup yesterday morning.

17. hammie

hammie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This is my go to recipe for "buttermilk" pancakes, 5*, 33k made it, 11k reviews. The recipe makes great pancakes, but I still have a box of Bisquick just in case.
    https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/162760/fluffy-pancakes/

I picked up a bottle of 190 proof Grain Alcohol and have a refillable pen sized spray bottle. I find myself filling it up about 3x a day though, besides being effective on virus and germs, I'm juicing up my iced tea.

I have been eyeballing these, we have a room that gets full sun, no cold air return, and at the end of the line for the ductwork. Unfortunately, we have a sliding glass door and no window in that room and I would have to rig something up to exhaust the hot air. Plus, those portable AC units are not as efficient as window units.

I have watched several videos about self installed Mini Split systems as well and they look promising, but I don't really have a place to put the condenser unit.

• Like Like x 1
  18. hammie

hammie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Breeze. Do you have Giant or Shop Rite down by you? I saw some in my local and I may have seen it in Costco.

19. Joe Strummer

Joe Strummer VIP Whale

In my area -
    Some items disappear for a couple weeks......then turn up
    Such as.....
    Pasta or Pasta sauce.....disappears....then is loaded
    Carolina Rice .....was gone for a month......now is everywhere
    Mazola Corn Oil......was MIA for 2 weeks.....Wesson was stocked but nobody bought it !
    No Dish detergent - the last 2 times I went
    I think traditional MEMORIAL WEEKEND items will be gone by Friday
    BUY EARLY !

20. Breeze147

Breeze147 Button Man

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yeah, we have a Giant, but that's been picked clean lately.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.