1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Cancelling flights

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by hotreds, Mar 18, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NYNYGirl

NYNYGirl VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Our JetBlue flights were scheduled for mid May but thanks to an email from them about a schedule change I was able to cancel completely. Even though paid by points I got all my points back too.

Same with our SW flights as well no fees or penalties. Full refund.

I love "changes" in these cases. :wiggle:

2. oghuman

oghuman VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm really hoping to go on that trip. I get no refund on my timeshare because it's a trade and it's not insured. Unfortunately I didn't cancel
    the change in flight - it was a few minutes each on both flights.

3. GeorgeJ.

GeorgeJ. VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I got a phone message from Southwest this morning that my return flight(s) from Vegas next week have been cancelled again -- originally this was a non-stop flight for my friend from LAS-SFO. Then that was cancelled and replaced with a LAS-PHX-SFO. And then that cancelled and replaced with LAS-BUR-SFO. Then it was changed to a new non-stop LAS-SFO 3 hours later than the original flight. The phone rep said the email she was sending me would show that I was getting travel funds but to ignore that & that she was overriding that to give me a refund to my credit card. And that it would take 7-10 days to show up. So we'll see if that actually happens. The outbound flight to Vegas was also cancelled and I asked for a refund on that this past Friday and it has not hit my credit card account yet.

4. GeorgeJ.

GeorgeJ. VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    So I got my friend's Southwest reservations cancelled. Now I went on to my flights on American next week from Jacksonville to Las Vegas and back. The flight out was changed by 2 hours. The return by 6 hours. So I called American to cancel and refund (took about 5 minutes on hold to get a rep). I told the rep I wanted a refund on the ticket; she cancelled the itinerary but told me I had to go online to request a refund. The refund page says that " If you qualify for a refund, we'll refund the original form of payment"...So that obviously gives them an out, if they decide that I don't "qualify" for a refund to my credit card. Southwest was easier to deal with since the phone rep processed my refund while I was on the phone with her..

5. carolineno

carolineno VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I am in a similar situation with Jetblue. I was asked by them if I wanted to reschedule a flight that was cancelled, to Charlottesville. I said no I'll just take the refund. Well the tickets are cancelled Wednesday but the refund hasn't hit yet. Getting a bit annoyed as it shouldn't take this long. It's only been a few days but it's enough money that I don't want to forget about the refund and thus eat the loss.

Ladies getaway, somewhere on the strip with a pool :)
  6. john1516inny

john1516inny High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Had the same problem with JetBlue, went back on and emailed support about it, one of the reps got back to me in a day and refund was processed. Try the email. worked for me.

• Like Like x 1
  7. pebbles

pebbles Micro Roller.

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I was told my refund from Virgin Atlantic could take up to 90 days. They are prioritising those customers who are choosing to rebook. That is their excuse anyway.

8. NotFromConcentrate

NotFromConcentrate It’s a Cassowary :)

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I’d emphasize to them that the US DOT’s order provides for a PROMPT refund to be made. No reasonable person would consider 90 days to be “prompt”. Tell them they have five days or you’re filing a dispute on your credit card.

Personally, I can respect that they’re busy with re-booking other passengers... but that isn’t your problem. You shouldn’t have to wait around for your money, especially when...

a) Issuing a refund is a figurative “press of a button” for them, it’s not like they have to do much of anything manually or from scratch
    b) You may end up losing credit card dispute rights if you wait around too long

“U.S. and foreign airlines remain obligated to provide a prompt refund to passengers for flights to, within, or from the United States when the carrier cancels the passenger’s scheduled flight or makes a significant schedule change and the passenger chooses not to accept the alternative offered by the carrier.”

Source: https://www.transportation.gov/briefing-room/us-department-transportation-issues-enforcement-notice-clarifying-air-carrier-refund

[TENTATIVE Late Jul/Early Aug] Vegas by way of Chicago/Elko/Reno!
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  9. pebbles

pebbles Micro Roller.

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks @notfromconcentrate, I will see what they reply when I send them that link. I’m expecting them to ignore it, hope I’m wrong.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Bobby B

Bobby B High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:

Thought I'd update this. I called and cancelled this flight and was told I would have to pay the $125 fee. I explained that I was in the "at risk" group and as such, could not likely travel at all this year. I was put on hold while the UA person spoke with his supervisor. Five minutes later he came back on and told me they would reinstate my miles at no cost to me. Way to go United. I blasted them earlier so I owe it to them to give them the kudos when the earned it.

• Like Like x 2
  11. tom.mckenzie

tom.mckenzie Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    JetBlue flies into Charlottesville? I found an absurdly cheap flight from C'ville to Vegas on Delta for April, which of course was cancelled, but I didn't know Jet Blue flew there.

12. win4me

win4me VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
  13. NotFromConcentrate

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Canadian passengers are best off demanding refunds under US rules if their flight is to/from the US. While Canadian law provides the same rules, they’re not enforced up here. I’m helping several of my friends deal with these cancellations and I’ve guided most of them to file chargebacks against the airline through their credit card, since AC/WestJet and others are outright lying to passengers about their refund obligations.

14. carolineno

carolineno VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Still no refund. The JetBOO web page doesn't really give satisfying "contact us" info, but you can email "dearjetblue" at jetblue dot com. At least I got an auto-reply with that. They said they'd get back to me in 7 to 10 days! We shall see.

15. carolineno

carolineno VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Well they have a BOS - CHO route, or they did anyway! Not a Vegas trip, but I had to vent somewhere.

• Like Like x 1
  16. NotFromConcentrate

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I was trying to get a refund from Spirit yesterday and it was like pulling teeth. They’re not being forthcoming about it at all.

As long as you have a written record of when you FIRST attempted to contact them, you’re good.

The guideline that I generally provide in these types of cases is to contact them several times to establish a good-faith attempt to resolve it directly... but after about two weeks from your FIRST contact is when it’s time to file a credit card dispute if still no refund. Most banks require both that you’ve tried to resolve it with the merchant yourself and that you’ve given them ample time to do so... and this satisfies both of those things.

17. nfcwestbest

nfcwestbest Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Allegiant Air cancelled my friends ticket that i booked on my account. They've emailed me twice to accept a voucher but I have been holding out that the Government would force a refund.
    Today i got a email containing a voucher good for 2 years from the original booking date Dec 31 2019.
    Hopefully everythings good and can use the voucher by Dec 31 2021

No resort with LVA coupon
    Everyone's a Winner Contest Freebie
  18. NotFromConcentrate

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If the airline cancelled it, they must refund you. End of story. There is no negotiation, and they cannot use these types of tricks to prevent you from getting the money you’re owed.

Do not settle for a voucher. Aside from being restrained by the time limit, you have no idea how much fights will actually cost by the time you can safely fly. Furthermore, if Allegiant goes bankrupt, you’re left with nothing. That’s why I always advise taking the cash. You derive absolutely zero benefit from taking a voucher.

I suggest that you politely demand, in writing, that Allegiant refund that money to the original form of payment... and if they don’t, call your bank to request a chargeback on the grounds of services not rendered. If your card is a Visa, that’s dispute reason code 13.1 (merchandise/services not received), and if your card is a MasterCard, that’s dispute reason code 4855 (goods or services not delivered).

Vouchers are completely unfair to passengers in a case like this, I would really hate to see you get stuck with that and not able to use the full value for any reason.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  19. nfcwestbest

nfcwestbest Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:

Yes i agree it's bull...Allegiant has pulled this move on all its customers and up to a few days ago the Vouchers issued we're only good for one year from purchase date.
    Ive read online that its virtually impossible to get a person on the phone.
    To complicate things i used my account to book the ticket but the credit card used is the person flying.
    So the Vouchers in my name. Im not willing to spend days on hold to get him a refund,, but of course if Allegiant starts flying again and its safe to go I will book him a ticket. Or use the voucher for myself and pay him the cost of my ticket.
    I will give him the voucher details, and if he wants to fight for a refund im all for it.

No resort with LVA coupon
    Everyone's a Winner Contest Freebie
    • Like Like x 1
  20. The Rumor

The Rumor VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The DOT has actually been pretty stiff with airlines, as have the credit card companies. Don't accept vouchers. Advocate for yourself.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.