1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Working from home? Home office?

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by Drewm1972, Mar 27, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Drewm1972

Drewm1972 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    3B6ABCB8-BF75-45BF-ACC8-7483108D8543.jpeg Hey VMB, so ever since we been quarantined here( Michigan) and I’m sure most of you guys are as well.

does anyone work out of their house with latest order of “stay home”? Do you have library set up as home office? How do you like it working from home? Has productivity has changed for better or worse?

Here’s pic of my library/home office I use .. other side (not showing on pic) it’s whole wall is bookshelves.

• Like Like x 3
    • Love Love x 1
  2. BlacklabberMike

BlacklabberMike MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I am still working in my office location in stealth mode a couple hours in the AM and PM as my business is listed as essential.
    I park my car around the corner, work with the lights off except for a small lamp for reading when needed.
    Sign on the window that office closed to the public, a list of contact #'s,etc.

The rest of the time I have all my programs,etc on my home laptop down here in the cave.

Have a feeling that many businesses are going to come to the conclusion, that they do not need as many
    bodies in place as before.... change is a coming folks.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Richard Alpert

Richard Alpert LOST

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I miss my students a lot!
    I'm directing student activities from home. I can sit on the couch and have Counting Cars on in the background for ambiance.

Before the closure, were able to send packets home with at least 4-5 weeks of things for our essential content in our core subjects.

I am able to post examples and tips online to help out as much as I can. Also available to answer questions, field concerns, etc. throughout the day.

I am trying my best to do as many of the regular parts of our class culture as possible, but modified for the distance between us. For example, show and tell was shared online this week!

I can't wait to see my school minions again, but in tbe mean time we're giving it our best shot! :thumbsup:

RICHARD

• Love Love x 8
    • Like Like x 3
  4. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've been working from home since February 2001. I have a dedicated office but work as often in the great room or out on the patio.

• Like Like x 6
  5. Drewm1972

Drewm1972 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Wow damn since 2001!! That must be awesome!! Don’t have to drive, b on time lol etc awesomeness

6. Drewm1972

Drewm1972 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    that’s awesome....good to hear positive teachers makes world of difference on child’s mind!!! I don’t know about your school system but here in Michigan all schools are online but state came out stated that kids will NOT get credit for studying online!! Wow, so all school kids are upset especially seniors who are ready to go college; it’s a big mess I believe governor is working on that but with virus shit going on it’s in back burner.

anyhow, hopefully you guys doing ok... w me finally my daughter came home yesterday from philly (she wants go back lol, she misses her college and friends) of course she knows that’s not a option but we are trying to make best of it. :)

• Like Like x 2
    • Love Love x 1
  7. Sonya

Sonya Queen of VMB

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Like Ken, I've been working at home forever, or since 1995. Longer if you consider my time working as an on-site property manager as "home". My office was across the parking lot from my actual apartment, but if that is still home, then since 1990.

Here in this house I have a dedicated office. Right now, I am in mid-closet purge and have a ton of financials on my desk, waiting for me to do taxes. It's a mess and I avoid it when possible. :)

I mostly work in there when I need to work without distraction or interruption. The rest of the time I will take my laptop to the living room couch, or the cozy chair in the "not for dining room". Sometimes out on the front deck Adirondack chair, or the table on the back deck.

• Like Like x 6
  8. Ten_On_The_End

Ten_On_The_End VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I had home office for 15 years and had a dedicated room for my work (IT industry). One of the good things was not having to pay city income tax since I live in a rural area with no tax. 2.5 % raise instantly. If you’re forced to work at home you might want to see if you can get the tax ended if you live in a no tax area. Worth a shot. When I started home office I thought I’d work less but ended up working more since I had good ideas all hours of the day or night and my office was always open.
    Full disclosure: I am not a tax professional.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. HoyaHeel

HoyaHeel Grammar Police & Admin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have a library/office but never work in there - I'm on my laptop in a comfy chair. I've worked from home once a week 10 yrs. And all sorts of other random hours.

• Like Like x 2
  10. dmr

dmr Registered Abuser

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Currently working from home and going stir-crazy!

Hmmmm ...

Small Crowd
    Freezer Burn
    Pretty Ugly
    Forest Lawn
    Rubber Cement
    Inside Out
    Work from Home

:)

• Funny Funny x 2
  11. hammie

hammie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Have been self employed and working from home for 10 years, so the only change is that my wife and daughter recently crashed my party. I’m in the basement, daughter is in the dining room, my wife is in a bedroom. We have Verizon Fios so our wifi speed is acceptable, but my daughter complained about the quality of some video conference calls. Our download speed is 22.7 mbps and upload speed is 18.8 mbps, so it’s probably the boss with his shitty Comcast service and 3 kids streaming simultaneously.

Our county is under a shelter at home order, so only essential businesses can operate, we are not supposed to travel. I can pretty much do 80% over the phone. Some of my projects have dried up, but others have gotten legs, so I’ll go with it.

Honestly, my productivity has probably declined, but not due to my new office mates. I’m distracted by much of the news and the “what if” unknown of the future. I really just need to get back on the good foot as James Brown sang. Business is fine for now, I don’t have much money on the street, I don’t owe much either.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  12. birdman925

birdman925 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Set up a home office late last week and started Tuesday. I go to the office at six am as I e-file all tax returns for our Firm (public accounting) and try to leave by 7 am then work from home. I am adapting and feel I am as productive since there are no distractions.

• Like Like x 4
  13. C0usineddie

C0usineddie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I worked at home for a couple years. I dont live in a mansion so I just basically have a table in my living room.

• Like Like x 1
  14. bluesdude

bluesdude VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I don't work from home at all until now. Big adjustment, missing human contact, the same human contact that drives me nuts sometimes and come home and complain to my wife about. Not sure how this is going to work out or how long but I don't have much of a choice.

Dead & Co with my son! June 4 or 5th - June 8th
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. julia

julia VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We’ve got two adults working at home, a college student doing online/distance learning, a high schooler doing same and a first grader doing distance learning. All three kids need a lot of hands-on.

Luckily we have enough computers for everyone.

• Like Like x 3
  16. vegas superfan

vegas superfan VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have a second bedroom set up with a desk. But I don't want my job seeing all the band posters hanging in the background so I am working at my dining room table.

• Like Like x 3
  17. Drewm1972

Drewm1972 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Oh yeah I feel ya, we have 2 college kids home too and they are doing online courses as well... not easy doing it online. I feel bad for kids they miss their college and friends :( hopefully this mess ends soon.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. bluesdude

bluesdude VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Are you using Zoom, like everyone else in the country? You can use virtual backgrounds. I have imported a bunch of vacation pics so when I have a Zoom meeting I just change the background to something like the Oregon Coast or the Columbia River Gorge or a river in North Carolina, etc. Me, I wouldn't mind seeing your band posters, depending on the bands of course! :headbang:

Dead & Co with my son! June 4 or 5th - June 8th
  19. TrewBrew

TrewBrew I may be right, I may be Crazy.

Trips to Las Vegas:
    MrsBrew and I have a “what changed while we slept” meeting every morning. This replaced the “who called in sick” meeting we used to have every morning. We moved the location of the morning meeting to the kitchen it seemed like a better place because of the urgency and the better view of the tv for the news.
    Besides that we still are able to head out and go to work.

• Like Like x 1
  20. MGinCO

MGinCO VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Just started working from home tonight...supporting TARGET account, ie IT.
    We have to keep the stores open, right

Don't have all the tools I use, as readability available as at IBM, but beats driving to/from Boulder.

• Like Like x 2
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.