1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Golden Gate Suites

Discussion in 'Downtown Hotels' started by tee6395, Jan 28, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tee6395

tee6395 Downtown Dreamer

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm thinking about booking one for a couple of days, but want to know more about the "motion sensored" AC system. I have been in one, but didn't inquire about this as I didn't know it existed.

Any hacks or work-arounds to make it stay on continuously? I can't sleep in a warm room. I've got to have it as cold as possible.

Anyone have experience with this particular situation - specifically GG suites?

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. mikel123

mikel123 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I did not find a workaround and it was really uncomfortable. I’d recommend avoiding those rooms when it’s warm or hot in Vegas for just that reason. Never got below mid-70’s and shut off when I was sleeping or out of the room. I really hope Derek doesn’t do the same thing at Circa.

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Love Love x 1
  3. Elizakess

Elizakess Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    That sounds like new way to be a cheapskate on Stevens part. What is that defense against the swamp cooler technology the rest of the folk in the lower class rooms put up with? I’m sorry standard rooms. Go buy some silent toy or object that moves is my suggestion. I don’t know if it will work or not. Could always put a balloon in front of a fan lol if you know where the sensor is lol

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. ernestoc33

ernestoc33 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This is all really good to know. I've never stayed at any of Derek's properties. I played some at GG in October and got an offer for some free nights. Ice cold rooms are a big deal to me, so I'm out lol.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. mikel123

mikel123 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Found a photo I took of the thermostat if you want to try and find info on how to override (no idea why it's so huge on this page).
    [​IMG]

• Informative Informative x 2
  6. tee6395

tee6395 Downtown Dreamer

Trips to Las Vegas:
    76.5! Well, that's down right sweltering to me! No thanks.

Thanks for going above and beyond @mikel123 .

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. vegasvstr

vegasvstr VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Have run into motion limited thermostats at other hotels. Stuffing a long piece of toilet paper into the AC vent so it hangs out and flaps about usually does the trick. Though I hope 76.5 isn't the lowest their thermostat goes?

• Like Like x 1
  8. AyDee

AyDee is getting too old for this

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It's big and open, and if IIRC got cool alright.. It's not the regular room swamp cooler.
    I've heard balloons and the perpetual drinky bird toy, don't know how you'd get it in sensor view though.

This cant mean you're in the room sleeping in a suite, and the a/c goes off, can it?
    We actually couldn't sleep for some reason in there and scurried back to our Cal room in the morning.

How cold do you like it?

9. zignerlv

zignerlv VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Paper was mentioned as a hack. The other which I've read several times, and I think would be more effective (more motion), is to bring a balloon, blow it up, and either tape or tie with string to an area near a vent where the air will blow the balloon in reasonable distance from the sensor.

10. K-9treatbaker

K-9treatbaker VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have actually stayed in a motion sensored room, not the GG though.

I did this trick and it worked just fine. I brought some ribbon with me, tied it to the AC when the AC was on, the ribbons kept moving,thus not shutting off the AC.

There are also some other tricks that are on You tube. Hope this helps.

11. tee6395

tee6395 Downtown Dreamer

Trips to Las Vegas:
    At least 65, but 70 is doable. I've experienced the motion AC's at other hotels and they do indeed shut off when you're in the room. I liked M Resort's "green" system where it shuts down everything upon exit, but not whilst in the room. It sounds like I will never, ever stay at GG. I'm actually disappointed. :cry:

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. zignerlv

zignerlv VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Well, there have been more than a couple of reports of roaches in the GG rooms, and although the suites are in a different part of the building, it still is the same property. Someone joked in a prior discussion about this that the roaches see the suite sign and know to stay away. In any case, that possibility would tend to keep me away from there. I realize there may be a dozen "I never saw a roach there" comments. I trust that the sightings are real, and have no doubt that MOST people won't see one on their stay. Still, that's not enough comfort for me!

13. mikel123

mikel123 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    They do have 2 penthouse suites on top and they don't have the motion sensors. They put me in a one the first couple of nights when they oversold the regular suite. They are definitely a hidden gem if your play warrants it. 2 full bedrooms, 2.5 baths, seam showers in each bathroom, patio with a grill. Here are some pics: https://www.vegasmessageboard.com/forums/index.php?threads/best-suite-youve-stayed-in.162093/page-2#post-1830334

• Like Like x 1
  14. NotFromConcentrate

NotFromConcentrate It’s a Cassowary :)

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This assumes it's actually a "motion" sensor. It could be a PIR (infrared) sensor, which detects heat from humans or animals, so in such a case a string or paper wouldn't do anything.

@tee6395 my first question to your host (or perhaps someone at the supervisory level at the hotel) would be if they would be willing to override the sensor for you. I'm 100% certain they can turn it off... the question is whether or not they're willing to.

Jul 17 to ??? - Amtrak from Chicago to AZ... Laughlin, Vegas & More!
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  15. mikel123

mikel123 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
  16. zignerlv

zignerlv VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My response was based on that the OP was looking for ways to defeat a motion sensored system.

• Like Like x 1
  17. tee6395

tee6395 Downtown Dreamer

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It's funny to me. Bugs are in virtually every hotel. I have spotted them at Cosmo often, Plaza, The D, DTG and Caesar's. If there are a ton - or if one dared crawl on me...then I'd run for the hills. I don't have cockroaches at home, but have spotted one that probably rode in on my purse. As long as there aren't multiple or babies, they're just a fact of life. :eek:

I can't play at that level between GG and D. I get too bored there. Now, once Circa opens and I have alternative number 3...leopard of different spots! I guess I could get off my arse and ask my host what it takes. Thanks for reminding me. I just think the GG Suites are so adorable for when I travel solo. :wiggle:

AHA! Hmmm...this presents a different scenario. I was thinking more about when I try to sleep. This eliminates that problem. I now wonder how long it would take the suite to cool down upon arrival in the summer. I'm thinking - way too long - for my liking.

Geez NFC I literally never, ever thought of this! I can try this at numerous places I have stayed and currently stay! Thanks for this! :love:

• Like Like x 1
  18. NotFromConcentrate

NotFromConcentrate It’s a Cassowary :)

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yup, perfectly fair... I should have phrased what I said more clearly to say that heat sensors are often thought to be motion sensors, so it would be an important thing to find out to be sure OP is barking up the right tree.

Jul 17 to ??? - Amtrak from Chicago to AZ... Laughlin, Vegas & More!
  19. mikel123

mikel123 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Just to clarify, it DID shut off on me while I was sleeping. I'm thinking it has something to do with how far away the thermostat/sensor is away from the bed.

20. tee6395

tee6395 Downtown Dreamer

Trips to Las Vegas:
    And just like that...all hope was lost. :blink:

Thanks for clarifying.

• Agree Agree x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.