1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Phil Ruffin ownership of Circus Circus

Discussion in 'LV Strip Hotels' started by Old School, Jan 14, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Old School

Old School Newbie

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Has anyone noticed any changes recently at Circus Circus? Ruffin said his first priority was going to be Slots-A-Fun. Any remodeling started yet? Rooms also need upgrading, but I think this is planned be done slowly, as Circus is going to still go after the low-roller, value(cheap) customer. I am interested to know if BJ rules have gotten better, as TI has some of the best rules on the strip. TI is also very sweaty, so that may also come to Circus. Ruffin also mentioned that the RV park was going to go, and be used for an expanded and better pool area. Where is the closest RV park to the strip after Circus closes? If Circus does eventually get remodeled, and once Resorts World and the Drew open, the north strip may become the area to go to? I hope they don't lose some of the iconic parts of Circus Circus in the meantime. My first Nevada trip was to Circus Circus in Reno, and I can still remember being amazed that you could get free beers and watch free circus acts, just for putting a few nickels in a video poker machine. If they ever lose the circus and the midway, Ruffin will have made a big mistake.

2. AllenAndRossi

AllenAndRossi VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Resorts World...ok. The Drew? I expect that to open as soon as we can all ride flying pigs to get there.

Ruffin's plan to return Slots-A-Fun to it's "glory days" is brilliant. Back in the Stardust/Westward Ho/North Strip good old days, they place was always busy, lively and, well, fun. A low rollers paradise. I have no clue whatsoever as to the thought process that turned it into what it currently is.

The only real plans he expressed is S-A-F, a new pool area, a theatre for a Cirque show, and selling off the RV park. He doesn't seem in any hurry to remodel rooms or change much of anything else over his first few years of ownership.

I've taken my kid there numerous times over the last 3-4 years and always assumed Moneygrubbing Murren didn't know MGM owned the place. Because he was still paying quality circus acts, a ringmaster, and 3 undoubtedly-union musicians to perform daily.

3. C0usineddie

C0usineddie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Hopefully they reinstall the dirty old carpet and foot long machine in slots a fun. That and the craps table by to sidewalk. The place was actually fun back then. Not everything needs to be fancified.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Love Love x 1
  4. hillwood24

hillwood24 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I was there last month and didn’t notice any changes.

5. mhetrick

mhetrick Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I stopped in CC and SAF in early December and really not much had changed. If Phil can make SAF as fun as it was many years ago, then more power to him. I think he will probably do gradual renovations of CC, but nothing earthshattering for awhile. The place was printing $$$ for MGM as was, with very little being done to it.

I would hope he is working on joining the slot club with TI. Especially if he decides to buy a CET property.

6. Sonya

Sonya Queen of VMB

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Last winter we made a run though CC and SAF for some slumming fun. I got to Slots of Fun later than some other people, and we didn't stay long. Many of the machines on the floor were just gone and they announced no comped drinks at the machines, you had to come up to the bar and buy them and take them back yourself. It wasn't too much longer after that announcement we migrated over to Circus Circus. :cool:

7. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We ate at CC Steak House in November. CC is a hole. The hallowed steakery needs a makeover. Not sure that can be accomplished there.

• Love Love x 1
  8. The Rumor

The Rumor VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    how could much have changed? The ink had barely dried on the deal.

Give it a couple of years and see if they announce substantive changes. I wouldn't expect it to look any different in 2020.

9. stlguy197239

stlguy197239 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Phil's 84. He better get it started now if he wants to see all this completed.

10. Hyperfocal

Hyperfocal VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Redoing Slots a Fun should be a pretty easy project. All they need to do is fumigate what's currently there, re-carpet and paint, then move in some actual machines and tables.

Start with low limits and decent rules. People will come.

One thought I've had since seeing Absinthe was that CC should have a sexier, circus after dark show later in the evening. Make the midway 21+ after 10.

• Like Like x 1
  11. 44inarow

44inarow VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Well, first they have to burn the entire place down...

But yeah. The interesting thing about CC is that they're something of a magnet for traditional circus acts. Absinthe and the like mostly feed off of the AGT circuit, and Cirque shows have a very specific demographic. But I know performers who absolutely love being at CC, because they can just go and do their thing without needing to worry about a plot or much management interference.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  12. bshowell

bshowell VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We were at SOF this summer and...yeah there's really not much there. Many of the slots didn't even have chairs. And the slots themselves were old but not fun and old. We were also in Circus Circus - and then out of Circus Circus, so there's that.

13. vegasvstr

vegasvstr VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    A great description! I think there were maybe 6 people in SOF when we stopped in last fall. (Including employees/security guard)
    Needs to be gutted or bulldozed. Anything there would be an improvement and have to draw in more people/profit.

14. lp670lambo

lp670lambo Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    That craps table was almost always crowded back when they had it there.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.