1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Our awful stay in the Cal East Tower over Thanksgiving.

Discussion in 'Downtown Hotels' started by Joe, Dec 2, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. eksantirik

eksantirik High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    El Cortez is a great downtown option, if you are wary of the FSE noise. All my stays there were very comfortable either at the Tower rooms or the Cabana suites.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. Roccoscollar

Roccoscollar VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:

SHHHHHHHHHH. Please don't let the secret out.

• Funny Funny x 1
  3. makikiboy

makikiboy VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Tower rooms at the El Cortez could be a problem if you are facing the night clubs. Some clubs have an open air central courtyard so if you are facing them you could hear the music all night, at least to 2 am but sometimes to 4 am. Gave me a headache hearing that boom boom all night long.

Cabana suites not too bad, pretty quiet once the motel behind closed down. Before that I could hear noise all night long.

4. flyguyfl

flyguyfl MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Sorry to hear about the bad room and the noise. Anything positive like good eats? Maybe some excellent burned dead cow?

5. annbrown57

annbrown57 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    K-9 - I found an IPhone white noise app White Noise Ambience Lite. I use the Floor Fan option and it sounds like my ceiling fan and works perfect for me. That way it's always at hand if needed.

See you on the 16th at Ballys!

Ann

• Informative Informative x 1
  6. K-9treatbaker

K-9treatbaker VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Ann, you and I think alike, I all ready have a sleep app on my I-Phone and it has a lot of different sounds. I wonder how the WIFI is at MSS. When I stayed at the D, their wifi was almost non existant.

Maybe we will get lucky and not hear any trains or freeway noise. :)

I will see you At Bally's on the 16th. Any idea how many of us will be gathering there?

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Count de Monet

Count de Monet High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I stayed in the West Tower of the Cal at the end October. Noise from Circa construction was 24/7, left after one night.

8. annbrown57

annbrown57 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I’m not sure, GS probably has a rough count but I’ve seen 8-10 possibles I think

9. btodd

btodd High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    So sorry to hear. Looking forward to your report. I am now concerned as I booked for February with my 81 year old Mom. I did book premium room which I "assumed" is in the West Tower as I wanted to have larger room plus closer to MSS where we play a lot. My husband I were in west tower in October. I found it noisy enough even thought we faced MSS. There was a motorcycle convention downtown plus I had a bout of suspected food poisoning so was in room for 36 straight hours. If my Mom can't sleep due to noise, the trip will be a disaster. Maybe I should call reservations? I am comped for two nights and paying for the Friday, Saturday. If I do call, which rooms may be the quietest? I don't think it is a particularly busy weekend. Feb6-10. Thanks

10. bubbakitty

bubbakitty Doing retirement again and happily so....

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I always ask for a room at the far end of the hall and they seem to be least desirable. Sometimes we get it sometimes not. Might work for you if mom isn’t effected by long walk in hallway. Good luck (we pack earplugs now as routine item).

11. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm assuming in the East tower when you get off the elevators, the suites are the ones to the left. Meaning closest to 1st St and the noise. There were only 4-5 rooms in that section and the main hallway was to the right.
    This was our view.

Cal E Tower room view..jpg

12. K-9treatbaker

K-9treatbaker VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks. I was just curious. Sounds like a nice get together.

13. Count de Monet

Count de Monet High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I was in the west tower, room next to the elevators facing the east tower. Throughout the night, heavy truck activity was nonstop delivering materials for the project. The trucks were bad enough but on top of that a foreman was yelling instructions to the drivers all night long until daybreak.

The yelling is was drove me nuts. I can tune out continuous, loud, ambient noise but the intermittent yelling was too much.

Obviously, construction materials need to be delivered during low traffic times and providing instructions to the truck parade is necessary as well so this will continue until all exterior construction is completed. Until then I will stay well away from the Circa site.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. makikiboy

makikiboy VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    K-9. just FYI, I was at MSS in October. Because it was warm I was running the a/c unit all of the time so this may have drowned out some of the outside noise and why the outside noise didn't bother me. But once and a while I did hear the trains passing by but it wasn't a problem for me.

The a/c units are right below the windows but they aren't in window a/c's.

15. K-9treatbaker

K-9treatbaker VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thank you for the heads up on the noise. Train noise will not bother me, and if I can turn on the a/c, I agree it will drown out outside noise somewhat. And hubby and I like a cold room, especially when we sleep. Although, it has been cold at night in Vegas. So, we will see how things play out.

It sounds like, right now, MSS is the quietest place to stay over the Cal.

And my four comped night, make it a sweet deal. And I still have no clue how that happened.:haha:

16. TJC

TJC VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Obviously they are a crowd pleaser because everyone flocks to them like they're giving away money, but for the life of me, I can't understand why people go so nuts over what is mostly cover bands and DJs on Fremont. I've never passed by one that impressed me enough to stop and listen for even a minute.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  17. MGinCO

MGinCO VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yes, Joe...that photo is what I had looking out, when there was JUST the big sandbox and pilings coming in. The noise must be even worse now. The Circa tower had 15 floors a few weeks ago,

Music from Fremont until after 2am, then construction noise started at 6am.

Will NOT EVER stay in that East Tower again, rooms just left of the elevator banks.

Now, GG suite was soooo quiet.

Oh yes...and Jose said you were going to be around again shortly! LOL

Last edited: Dec 4, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. SoCalMon

SoCalMon VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have stayed in the tower with the premium rooms and the tower with the regular deluxe rooms. One or the other each time we go to vegas depending if we have friends come with us and have connected rooms or not. My family and I love the Cal. Never had any issues.. Rooms are quiet and you do not hear the band outside. I have no idea why you would be able to hear the music and noise from outside. Maybe lower floors hear the music or you were just in a bad room with light walls?

Main street sucks by the way. We stayed there once because Cal was sold out. The train noise is LOUD and you can hear it twice in the middle of the night.

By the way, the premium rooms are renovated and have bigger bathrooms which I really like. When you get a chance, book premium room and check it out. AC is quieter than the deluxe rooms but deluxe is still good. Just have to get the setting right with the AC so it will be quiet. The only difference really is the bathroom size.My mom and I are also late sleepers which we go to bed at like 2 or 3am in morning and get up about 10 or 11am. My dad goes to bed earlier or watches tv til like 1am in morning or so. No complaints once so ever from my dad hearing anything from outside.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 2
  19. Electroguy563

Electroguy563 Vegas Joker

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I think that if you go to bed before 1 am you will hear FSE noise. The Circa construction noise is just something that is the reality until the place is finished. Depending as to where you are located in the East tower, the noise can be tolerable to literally unacceptable.

East tower rooms facing west would be the best bet. Over the years the FSE noise was not a factor for me when in the East tower because I usually retire to the room way after 1 am and sleep late.

I wonder if with the Circa construction they would be able to restrict construction to activities that involve less noise during the 3rd shift to keep the noise down. I know when I was still working in construction the third shift would do mostly inside work and the outside work was scheduled during the normal work hours. Depends on who's running the show and the schedule constraints.

20. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I think we were in the third class of rooms, a suite and it was definitely not quiet! And although the room was big with a couch and chairs and separate wet bar with bar stools, the bathroom was tiny.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.