1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

First time on Spirit Air

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by Aplayer2, Nov 18, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aplayer2

Aplayer2 wager enthusiast

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Flying Tampa to LAS nonstop in December. I purchased checked bag and Big Front Seat both ways. Was still under $400 RT.

The flight is 4-5 hours depending on direction and jet stream. Has anyone had experience with Spirit in general and big front seat in particular. I know nothings free and drink prices are high. Can I smuggle my own airline bottles of booze? Can you order cups of ice?

Early am flight going and redeye coming back. Will probably sleep but want to bring snacks and drinks in case.

Thanks for any thoughts on the subject.

2. Lmarl72936

Lmarl72936 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I fly Spirit all the time (over a dozen times in past 1 year), the only prob with them is that the seats do no recline so heads up on that otherwise there is nothing wrong with Spirit at all.
    I have gotten a cup of ice from the crew at no charge every time i asked. Also, TSA will confiscate any liquid that exceeds 3oz so purchase your booze inside the terminal after you pass TSA. The food and drink prices including booze is not that expensive while on the flight. (example can of domestic beer = $4)
    Hope this helps

• Like Like x 1
  3. Aplayer2

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yes but you can carry on as many miniatures in a quart zip lock bag as will fit. What I don't use in flight I have for the hotel room.:drunk:
    Thanks for the info I have heard so many people trash Spirit I am happy to hear good reviews.

4. Jimbucc

Jimbucc VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I took the plunge and splurged on the big front seat for my wife and I on our anniversary. CLE to LAS is about 4 to 5 hours. It was quite comfortable. We were in the front 2 seats so nobody next to us. The best thing about being in the front is that you don't have to see anything that is going on behind you. Only commotion going on will be from flight attendants doing their job in the front of the plane. Bring all the snacks you want but I would be discrete with the booze. :nono:

• Informative Informative x 1
  5. stlguy197239

stlguy197239 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Good. No airline seats not in first class should recline.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. DBear

DBear VIP Bear

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Well worth the splurge for the big up front seats. I’ve only flown Spirit once but had a great experience. Note, you still don’t board first as those who paid for carry on baggage go first to put their bags away before everyone else comes on.

Be sure to pay all your fees (ie checked luggage) before you go to the airport as they charge vastly more there.

My only complaint were the headrests. I don’t think they were moveable or adjustable so that was kinda annoying. But otherwise, the $50 premium I paid one way for that seat was well worth it on a 3 hour flight.

7. Ten_On_The_End

Ten_On_The_End VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I fly Spirit every trip to Vegas. Put your booze in those little 5 Hour Energy bottles. I buy the knockoffs for less than a buck at ALDI but they're not hard to find. I think the regular cocktails are up to 7 or 8 bucks and it's been awhile since I bought one in flight. I never got the big front seat because I felt I needed the money for gaming more. Besides, I have fun with hoi polloi in the back.

• Like Like x 1
  8. mdm4sfest

mdm4sfest VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I just flew Spirit from LAS back to CLE--lucky for me Im only about 5'6 and 180---fatter then I should be but as long as I dont sit next to a huge person, Im good on seating...if Im lucky I sit aisle. The cheapskate in me will prolly never splurge on a big seat because Ive done the flight so much to/from CLE on Spirit and Frontier that having any better would apoil me for life.

With the booze, once you get through security with the tiny bottles, I wouldnt fuck around and just mix your drink in the bathroom. Buy a $3 soda or two of them and pre-mix...can always ask for a cup of ice on the plane however as charming as I am---I have been denied cups of ice before on Spirit and Frontier----

Thinking now, may just wanna get a cup of ice at a fast food place and mix--they probably wont even charge you or give you a hard time however I would 100% avoid opening bottles on the plane since its against TSA regulations.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. julia

julia VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Spirit is my new usual for Vegas trips. Last time, I sprang for the Big Front Seat for the return flight. Bought it when I checked in for the return. Loved it! Totally worth the $30. Not sure I’d need it for the outgoing flight.

I usually don’t drink on the plane so no experience with their booze.

• Like Like x 1
  10. BlueBellThunder

BlueBellThunder VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I’ve flown Spirit 12 round trips, 11 of those to Vegas. Of the 24 total flights, only had one major delay. It’s good you got the big front seat, I wouldn’t fly them if that wasn’t an option. I’m not sure about booze, but you can and should bring snacks with you. I’m not sure if you can get through security with the snacks, I always buy them once I past security.

• Like Like x 1
  11. BlueBellThunder

BlueBellThunder VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Only $30 for the big front seat? From the east coast I was paying $50 back in 2013-15. Now is usually 80-90 each way. Still worth paying for since the base fare is typically less then a legacy carrier.

12. Foos

Foos High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I leave tomorrow for Vegas on Spirit MSP-LAS $53.60 RT
    I leave Dec 3rd for San Jose Costa Rica on Spirit
    MSP-SJO $228 RT Including all taxes and exit fees, that worked out to be 1 cent MSP-SJO and $15 SJO-MSP all the rest of the $228 were taxes and fees.
    Both Tickets Were Bought At The Airport To Save The Passenger Usage Fees Of $46 to $89
    I Love Spirit and I have the perfect bag for the free carry on. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07B539RR6/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

• Like Like x 1
  13. 3OfDiamonds

3OfDiamonds Waiting For “Very Good” Video Poker @ Rio…

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Wait... Spirit *CHARGES A FEE TO BOOK ONLINE!?!? WHICH IS PROBABLY THE **CHEAPEST** WAY FOR THEM TO SELL A SEAT!?!?* Oh. Hell. No :nono:

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. Aplayer2

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I always bring outside snacks in my carry on. Once I had cheese sticks the X-ray machine alerted the operator---was later told the x-ray profiled them as explosive. Ranch dressing can also be a problem after they examined the package and I tasted it I was allowed to bring it on.

Southwest never gave us a problem with the booze. Once a flight attendant noticed my brother preparing his own drink, next trip brought him a full can of ginger ale and 2 cups of ice.

Thanks for all these great responses Sharing experiences is what makes VMB Great.

15. Aplayer2

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yes---you can avoid this "CONVENIENCE FEE" by going to the airport and purchasing tickets.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. stlguy197239

stlguy197239 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If Spirit could find a way to make you pay for every thing they would.

I imagine, at some point, they will start treating every flight like church and pass around a collection plate about halfway through the flight.

• Funny Funny x 4
  17. 3OfDiamonds

3OfDiamonds Waiting For “Very Good” Video Poker @ Rio…

Trips to Las Vegas:
    After seeing Foos’ post I did confirm bc my brain was just having trouble reconciling that nonsense :eek::goofy::yuck::haha:

18. DsqrdDGD909

DsqrdDGD909 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:

https://www.cntraveler.com/stories/2014-04-21/how-to-keep-your-fees-on-spirit-airlines-as-low-as-possible

19. sinnerman

sinnerman VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You should also print out your boarding pass before you go to the airport. They charge you $10 to print your boarding pass at the airport (If they have the Kiosks, it is $2 to print your boarding pass, each way). The alcohol on spirit airlines is the same or cheaper than American United or Delta. They charge for snacks.

20. bubbakitty

bubbakitty Doing retirement again and happily so....

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I always thought someone would get the “genius” idea to have a sign printed saying it’s X $’s at the counter, let ME do it for 5$ !! With a laptop and printer sitting @ the airport. Get one of those harnesses like vendors in a ballpark and stand there with a pencil behind your ear. :wave: :rolleyes:

• Love Love x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.