1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Long hauled to the airport from Wynn on Uber.

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by Hyperfocal, Oct 16, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hyperfocal

Hyperfocal VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I was a bit tipsy when I took an Uber from Wynn on Monday night. Just looked at my receipt and the driver went west to I-15, down to 215, through the tunnel and to the airport.

Should I try to get some refund, or just put it up to Vegas?

2. Hyperfocal

Hyperfocal VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It was an instant $10 off the charge.

3. tvon

tvon VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I will say that rideshare prices are usually set before you call the ride. If the price varied widely from what you were quoted, yes, do ask for a refund. Otherwise just live with it. Driver most likely put in the address and went the way the map told him. 90% of uber/lyft riders do this. And almost all of them will go a different route if you ask.

• Agree Agree x 5
  4. deansrobinson

deansrobinson VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Were you safely and soundly delivered to your destination, although you were "tipsy"? Then it's Vegas.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. Hyperfocal

Hyperfocal VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    From Wynn, taking a right across Las Vegas Boulevard, south past Mandalay Bay, back through the tunnel and north to the airport is long hauling in anyone's book. I'm glad Uber made it right.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Hyperfocal

Hyperfocal VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I had nothing but beer. It's on them to take the right route. It was really wrong. I've never had a taxi take a route that wrong.

7. Hyperfocal

Hyperfocal VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The real positive is that Southwest gave me $100 voucher at the gate for the delay and another voucher for $100 by email. I have an Alaska cruise out of Seattle next fall that will largely be taken care of by the vouchers. Yeah, I have a double standard.

• Like Like x 4
    • Funny Funny x 1
  8. HotDamn

HotDamn Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Uber app isn’t going to long haul on purpose. It uses the quickest route possible. How much was the difference on what you were quoted/it should’ve been to what you were charged?

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. thegov2k2

thegov2k2 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Did you get charged more than you were quoted up front? If not, then what does it matter? The driver made extra, you got charged the same, Uber made less profit.

• Funny Funny x 1
  10. Multifarious5

Multifarious5 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've been longhauled on Uber, and yes, it does come in higher.

I never give the driver a low rating and still always tip, but if the long haul costs me more than a few bucks? Yep. I'm having Uber adjust it.

But then I'm the gal that will go back to the grocery store for a price adjustment when the sale price isn't applied. (Safeway loves to do this.)

Excusing it as "writing it off as Vegas" is how the taxis became so shady, too many people not knowing better. Newbie driver/lost? No problem writing that off/eating it. But if it seems intentional and costs me more, I'll definitely have Uber review it for an adjustment.

My two cents is, most people doing uber/lyft probably aren't rolling in money, so I never give a bad review and still always tip. But I'm not so altruistic that I'm OK paying a bunch more if I think it was intentional. If I feel the long haul was intentional, and it cost me more than a few bucks more than the estimate, I just have Uber adjust it, but still give five stars and a solid tip.

• Agree Agree x 3
  11. hammie

hammie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I don’t understand what this means, Were you on the sauce when you wrote this?

• Funny Funny x 1
  12. 44inarow

44inarow VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This is what I was thinking -- I've been "long-hauled" on Uber, but the charge was not more than what I was quoted, and was about the same (maybe a little less) than a taxi would have been. It's important to remember that the tunnel/freeway route often is legitimately faster, especially when you're going as far as the Wynn, but when you're in a taxi on the meter, it's a longer route and therefore costs more. If it's not more expensive, then the "long-haul" route can sometimes be the correct way to go.

13. Hogman

Hogman VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    What was the original charge?

14. thegov2k2

thegov2k2 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    As a rideshare driver myself, I take the fastest route at all times. If that turns out to be 5 miles further, even better. Miles are where we make money, not minutes.

15. 44inarow

44inarow VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Which is the case for taxi drivers as well, but there's also the customer aspect of it. It's why "long-hauling" has such a bad rap in Vegas. For rideshare, it's pretty much a flat fee no matter what, but in Vegas, having a taxi driver do something like take the freeway from the airport to Aria doubles the fare and maybe saves a couple minutes at most (and sometimes even takes longer, depending on the time of day and what kind of luck you have with the lights on Swenson).

16. Ladeda

Ladeda Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    ^^ This. I remember one time the driver long hauled me and I was annoyed during the ride. I checked the receipt when I got to my destination and it was the same price as I was quoted when I asked for the ride. So in the end, I was ok with it with them taking a different route as I wasn't charged more.

17. Tree DA

Tree DA High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It means he registered a complaint in the app and it gave him a $10 credit instantly. I've had this happen so at least that's what i assume it means.

I was 'long hauled' by a Lyft driver once. He took the correct route to the airport and after i was dropped off i went to the app to submit my tip and the driver hadn't closed out the ride. I could see in the app that he was just circling the airport. It was treating things as though I were still in the car I guess. This went on for about half an hour. Finally, after i was through security and sitting at the gate the ride was closed out and I could leave a tip and finish it up. The charge ended up being about $10 than what I was quoted because of these shenanigans. I complained via the app and was instantly given a credit.

18. Whilestockslast

Whilestockslast Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I got long hauled by a taxi from the Cromwell to the airport yes via the tunnel especially even on a quiet Wednesday afternoon despite telling him not to - he chose to take no notice of me because of my English accent and said the roads were busy (total nonsense) when we arrived at the airport I informed him that I was reporting him to the taxi authority with his name and number and cab company to which he seemed rather surprised especially when it’s a journey I had taken over 50 times.

19. topcard

topcard Here's to $10 3:2 two-deck, $5 Craps, and $5 UTH!

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Back in the pre-rideshare days, when a driver did that to me, I "no-tipped" him, and I always pointed out, "You spent your tip in the tunnel."

Even further back, I took a cab from Stardust to downtown... every one back then knew that north on 'Industrial' was the proper route back then... but this guy gets on the freeway, taking it all the way around to the MSS exit (I was going to 4-Queens).
    Same thing - I no-tipped & told him he spent it on the freeway.

Not that long ago, I had an Uber driver from the airport, heading to the Plaza... all is fine (no tunnel...got on the freeway via Tropicana), but then he suddenly exits Sahara & starts pimping for a strip club. I tell him 'no thanks' about 3 times, and then he takes a circuitous route that takes us around the El-Co to Ogden, to Main.
    I accessed the app to complain...instant $8 credit (iirc).
    I figure all the Uber folks had to do was see the route on the map to figure out what happened.

Annual Spring Trip!
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. Las Vegan Cajun

Las Vegan Cajun High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    As a driver I can tell you what most likely is happening on the drivers end. Often times the drivers app will lock up and get stuck in a loop and the little circle in the middle just goes round and round. When that happens there is nothing the driver can do about it and they have to wait it out until it corrects itself. I’ve had it happen numerous times and it’s very frustrating.

While the app is having its conniptions the driver continues to drive away and all the passenger sees in their app is the car they just got out of driving away and it appears that the driver is pulling some shenanigans to increase the fare. I can tell you this is not the case because it won’t do the driver any good to do that because Lyft and Uber will correct the fare and the driver gains nothing.

The worse case I personally had was on Lyft I dropped off a passenger at South Point, as I was pulling into the SP, before I dropped them off, I got another pick up at the SP.

Dropped off the passenger at the ride share area and my other passengers were right there for pick up.

I tried to close the ride for the drop off and my app went into its fit and was stuck in a loop. I couldn’t end that ride so I could start the new one.

I wasn’t gonna make my new passengers sit in my car and wait for the app to straighten up and behave properly.

So I asked them where they are going. Their destination was Mandalay Bay, so I went ahead and drove them there while I watched my app continue its conniption.

In the mean time the passengers I dropped off at SP are watching my car drive all the way up the I-15 on their app and probably thinking I’m trying to take advantage of them, which was not the case.

I finally arrive at Mandalay Bay and that’s when my app finally started working properly. I was then able to end the ride that was the SP drop off, then start the ride that I just completed at MB, and immediately end that ride.

Later I looked at my trip log for those two rides and both passengers were only charged what they should have been charged for their respective rides. I was gonna report it to Lyft but Lyft had already corrected the problem before I could report it.

Later I got a low rating from the passenger I dropped off at SP and a compliant about how I was uncooperative. Unfortunately Lyft wouldn’t remove the low rating and complaint from my account. All this over something I had no control over.

Sometimes technology lets us down and doesn’t work as advertised. The passengers can’t see on their end what’s happening on the drivers end when this happens and the drivers end up with a complaint and low rating for something that is beyond their control.

It’s an unfortunate situation that drivers have to deal with constantly.

• Informative Informative x 5
    • Like Like x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.