1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Dishes to "die for"?

Discussion in 'Restaurants & Buffets' started by Mistaspakles, Oct 8, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bull1029

bull1029 Mr. Vegas

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Country friend steak and eggs at Magnolia's in 4Q. Simple fare, but I'm a simple man. (Punch line here)

• Like Like x 1
  2. mescalita

mescalita old and in the way...

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Spicy eggplant with tofu and brown rice at Le Thai.

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. NotFromConcentrate

NotFromConcentrate It’s a Cassowary :)

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Hopping on the "no longer" dishes sub-thread... the pafutelli stuffed pasta at Zeffirino at the Venetian. If I remember correctly, it was fresh pasta stuffed with veal, pear, and goat cheese, in the Zeffirino signature pesto sauce. It doesn't compare to the pesto at the Zeffirino in Genoa, Italy... but it's better than any pesto I've had elsewhere.

Out of curiosity, what part of that (the combo pan roast at Palace Station's Oyster Bar) is surprising to you?

[TENTATIVE Late Jul/Early Aug] Vegas by way of Chicago/Elko/Reno!
    • Like Like x 1
  4. SMG

SMG VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I haven't had a "to die for" dish in Vegas yet, but I do have some favorites like the Margherita Pizza at Pizza Rock, the pancakes at Du-Par's, and the tacos at Tacos El Gordo.

5. NotFromConcentrate

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Have you had the "el pastor" by chance? I had a Lyft driver rave about this dish at Tacos El Gordo once, and wanted to see if it's as sought-after as he made it out to be.

6. Viva Las Vegas

Viva Las Vegas Elvis has left the building

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This is a place I wanted to go to for a very long time, but never got around to it (almost ate there once, left due to the line). Based on your recommendation, I have added to my notes and will definitely eat there in December. I am staying at Sahara for a week, so this is very convenient.

Based on the pictures, the Combo and Palace Style Pan Roasts look (and sound) awesome. The Gumbo and Jambalaya are also options I would like to try (would need two or three visits, as based on reviews the serving sizes are large). Are there any other dishes (either listed or otherwise) you recommend, or do you just grab your "dish to die for" and pass on the rest?

Also, Is there a time best to go to avoid a long wait? I was thinking mid-day during the early part of the week. Being there after the rodeo helps as well. IIRC, they were only open late night in the past, the website states they are now 24/7.

Several other great suggestions as well, noted for the future.

7. vegasdev

vegasdev VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    That You have waited in line 2 hours for it AND that you would do it again.
    Is it normal for them to be on a 2 hour wait?
    Perhaps they should expand or hire more workers.

8. wesraft

wesraft High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Oooh baby! Had this last week. SOOO frickin' good!

9. jr7110

jr7110 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The Seablue location at The Borgata in Atlantic City was my favorite restaurant anywhere. I was really devastated to see it and the Vegas location go.

Speaking of Seablue, that brings me to my own "to die for" dish. Thankfully, Michael Mina (the chef at the helm of Seablue) still has a presence in Vegas with several restaurants. However, his self named spot, Michael Mina in the Conservatory at Bellagio is the one place I can still get my favorite dish ever from Seablue, his signature Lobster Pot Pie. It is literally to die for!

It is a 2 1/2 lb Maine Lobster sliced in the shell, and the dish is plated tableside. They cut the buttery, flaky crust off and put it on the plate, then assemble the lobster and add the vegetables and delicious sauce over it. Here is a video that I found on Youtube that someone posted of their experience at one of his San Francisco restaurants. For any lobster lovers in the house, this dish is a MUST!!!

• Like Like x 3
    • Love Love x 1
  10. PlanetMark

PlanetMark Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Great ideas here, i'd add:

- Bacon Covered Dates starter at Giada
    - Bacon Wrapped Jumbo Shrimp starter at Camelot steakhouse

Have that 'forgotten something' feeling....

Mark

11. NotFromConcentrate

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The clams were amazing too. Shrimp cocktail, ehh. Amazingly, no oysters. My best friend and her husband were there about a week ago and had oysters and quite liked them. Part of me wants to "explore" the menu a bit more, but the pan roast is so good that I just can't resist re-ordering it. The gumbos do look good though, I suspect that one day I may wind up staying at Palace Station for a few nights and simply try to have every meal there in order to try more items on the menu.

As for the best time to go... first time I went was a two-hour wait (dinner time), second time was about 20 minutes (just after lunchtime), if that tells you anything. It's also 24 hours, so going in the off-hours is absolutely a practical way to avoid lines.

The time I waited two hours, it was almost all locals and Californian Vegas regulars in line, and they told me that this was normal. That was at dinner hour, mind you. Like I said above, it's open 24 hours... so you can definitely time it strategically to avoid a longer wait.

As for expanding/hiring more workers... that kind of goes against the concept, IMO. The bar only has about 20 or so seats, and they prepare the food right in front of you. If they were to make it bigger, that would make the experience less and less intimate, and could result in slower service. You generally won't wait around much for your food if you're one of twenty people, but scale that up to thirty or forty, and the chances you'll have to wait longer goes up proportionately.

Personally, I think it's just right exactly the way it is. Sucks that there's no way to get a seat other than to wait in line, but they're doing just fine and seemingly not losing any business on account of wait times.

[​IMG]

• Love Love x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Mistaspakles

Mistaspakles Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I can vouch for the Al Pastor Tacos at TEG. They were so good, I watched a documentary on Netflix about the Al Pastor taco!

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  13. SMG

SMG VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I agree, the Al Pastor Tacos (a.k.a. Adobada/spiced pork) are the best that I've had outside of Mexico.

14. NotFromConcentrate

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Out of curiosity, is it particularly spicy? I'm such a wimp when it comes to spice... but it's not clear to me if it's "flavour" spice or "heat" spice.

• Wow! Wow! x 1
  15. Big Tip

Big Tip VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I use to plan my trip around a visit to the Bellagio buffet because of the Chilean sea bass. It was melt in your mouth delicious. Worth the price of admission just for it.
    But then I went one time and they didn't have it. It was like a punch to the gut.

16. SMG

SMG VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I wouldn't say they are overly spicy or hot (at least for me), but perhaps more on the moderate side. I'm not really into the really spicy hot stuff, but for those who like it that way, you can always add more heat with additional hot sauce. LOL

17. Viva Las Vegas

Viva Las Vegas Elvis has left the building

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thank you so much for your detailed response!

I’m also not a big oyster guy, but do like most other seafood offerings. My trip is still two months away, so I’ll just have to grin and bear it until December, I can finally try what I previously smelled and saw, but was denied previously.

• Like Like x 1
  18. RedRiverRose

RedRiverRose VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Koi Sunfire Roll
    Sterling Brunch

19. luck.ofthe.draw

luck.ofthe.draw VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Robuchon inspired potatoes, Bazaar Meat (Sahara)
    Cotton Candy foie gras, Bazaar Meat (Sahara)
    Pretty much anything, Bazaar Meat (Sahara)

Shepard's Pie, Wicked Spoon (seasonal at The Cosmo)

Campfire Smores, Rose.Rabbit.Lie (The Cosmo)
    Beef stroganoff, Rose.Rabbit.Lie (The Cosmo)

Barbary Dogs, the Cromwell (come ON guys, just try 'emmm!)

So much more that I can think of.....

• Like Like x 2
    • Love Love x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. HuskerBB

HuskerBB VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Homemade Peach Cobbler at Yardbird. Really like GR's sticky toffee pudding also but that has been mentioned by several others.

• Like Like x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.